Aug 07, 2014
Andre
May 05, 2015
David
Jul 12, 2015
Max Klimov
September 18, 2013
Hello all,

Several of us have been talking about Qt Creator and D in various subthreads of the current IDE-related discussions going on right now, so I thought it might be worth raising as a matter of general interest.

My general impression is that this is a fast, light cross-platform IDE which is (as its name indicates) state-of-the-art for C++ and Qt development.

Currently it has fairly good D/Ddoc syntax highlighting (it literally copies the latest d.xml syntax definition file from KDE's text editor Kate).  However, I wasn't able to get things like auto-indent working, and haven't yet put any serious effort into investigating build/compiler or debugging support.

It also has a FakeVim mode that enables vim-like editing and should be able to operate from the local .vimrc settings, but my brief experiments weren't so far able to get it to reproduce my current vim behaviour.

The last related discussion that I'm aware of is from about 3 years back, when several D users discussed implementing Qt Creator support:
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/ide/Qt_Creator_with_D_707.html

... but I'm not aware of any follow-up since then.

I'm just wondering how many people would be interested in seeing better D support in this IDE, and how many people have more experience or can offer insight into how to proceed.

Best wishes,

-- Joe
September 18, 2013
On Wednesday, 18 September 2013 at 14:49:27 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Several of us have been talking about Qt Creator and D in various subthreads of the current IDE-related discussions going on right now, so I thought it might be worth raising as a matter of general interest.
>
> My general impression is that this is a fast, light cross-platform IDE which is (as its name indicates) state-of-the-art for C++ and Qt development.
>
> Currently it has fairly good D/Ddoc syntax highlighting (it literally copies the latest d.xml syntax definition file from KDE's text editor Kate).  However, I wasn't able to get things like auto-indent working, and haven't yet put any serious effort into investigating build/compiler or debugging support.
>
> It also has a FakeVim mode that enables vim-like editing and should be able to operate from the local .vimrc settings, but my brief experiments weren't so far able to get it to reproduce my current vim behaviour.
>
> The last related discussion that I'm aware of is from about 3 years back, when several D users discussed implementing Qt Creator support:
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/ide/Qt_Creator_with_D_707.html
>
> ... but I'm not aware of any follow-up since then.
>
> I'm just wondering how many people would be interested in seeing better D support in this IDE, and how many people have more experience or can offer insight into how to proceed.
>
> Best wishes,
>
>     -- Joe

I would be interested in this.  I usually use Kate for
small/non-Qt C++/D projects, but have used QtCreator for
Qt-projects on Linux and for C++ development on Windows.

Craig
September 18, 2013
On Wednesday, 18 September 2013 at 14:49:27 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Several of us have been talking about Qt Creator and D in various subthreads of the current IDE-related discussions going on right now, so I thought it might be worth raising as a matter of general interest.
>
> My general impression is that this is a fast, light cross-platform IDE which is (as its name indicates) state-of-the-art for C++ and Qt development.
>
> Currently it has fairly good D/Ddoc syntax highlighting (it literally copies the latest d.xml syntax definition file from KDE's text editor Kate).  However, I wasn't able to get things like auto-indent working, and haven't yet put any serious effort into investigating build/compiler or debugging support.
>
> It also has a FakeVim mode that enables vim-like editing and should be able to operate from the local .vimrc settings, but my brief experiments weren't so far able to get it to reproduce my current vim behaviour.
>
> The last related discussion that I'm aware of is from about 3 years back, when several D users discussed implementing Qt Creator support:
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/ide/Qt_Creator_with_D_707.html
>
>
> I'm just wondering how many people would be interested in seeing better D support in this IDE, and how many people have more experience or can offer insight into how to proceed.
>
> Best wishes,
>
>     -- Joe

It's the best IDE for C++ development I have encountered so far. And it's the only drawback of DMD making the change to D: I cannot use it to fix bugs anymore.
September 18, 2013
I'm also interested in this.  I use Qt Creator all the time for my usual projects and my job, and having D support would be fantastic and would really help motivate me to spend more time with D.  At some point I'd like to look into how to add new language support in there, if I can find some spare time.

On Wednesday, 18 September 2013 at 14:49:27 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Best wishes,
>
>     -- Joe

September 18, 2013
On 18/09/13 18:02, Mike Farnsworth wrote:
> I'm also interested in this.  I use Qt Creator all the time for my usual
> projects and my job, and having D support would be fantastic and would really
> help motivate me to spend more time with D.  At some point I'd like to look into
> how to add new language support in there, if I can find some spare time.

It would be great if you could follow up on this.  I have been reading around where I can and also asked for advice on the Qt Forums, but so far no responses.

I'll continue to research what needs to be done, but you may get better mileage than me as you obviously know Qt Creator better than I do!
September 18, 2013
On 18/09/13 17:21, Henning Pohl wrote:
> It's the best IDE for C++ development I have encountered so far. And it's the
> only drawback of DMD making the change to D: I cannot use it to fix bugs anymore.

All the more reason for us to make sure that it works with D too, I'd say :-)
September 18, 2013
Am 18.09.2013 18:46, schrieb Joseph Rushton Wakeling:
> On 18/09/13 18:02, Mike Farnsworth wrote:
>> I'm also interested in this.  I use Qt Creator all the time for my usual
>> projects and my job, and having D support would be fantastic and would
>> really
>> help motivate me to spend more time with D.  At some point I'd like to
>> look into
>> how to add new language support in there, if I can find some spare time.
>
> It would be great if you could follow up on this.  I have been reading
> around where I can and also asked for advice on the Qt Forums, but so
> far no responses.
>
> I'll continue to research what needs to be done, but you may get better
> mileage than me as you obviously know Qt Creator better than I do!

For starters, Qt creator can make use of Kate configuration files.

So we could at very least have D syntax highlighting available.

--
Paulo
September 18, 2013
On Wednesday, 18 September 2013 at 16:02:04 UTC, Mike Farnsworth wrote:
> I'm also interested in this.  I use Qt Creator all the time for my usual projects and my job, and having D support would be fantastic and would really help motivate me to spend more time with D.  At some point I'd like to look into how to add new language support in there, if I can find some spare time.

May be an interesting use case to check DCD applicability for full-blown IDE.
September 18, 2013
Somewhat related. I use Kate (for D & web development) and occasionally KDevelop (for C/C++ stuff). I only started using these when I switched from Gnome to KDE 6 months ago, but I was very impressed and now they're my favorite editors (KDevelop can even challenge Visual Studios for C/C++ dev in many ways).

I would love to see more support for both these editors with D. DCD looks cool, but it's a bit complicate to get working, so I've held off from trying it.
September 18, 2013
On Wednesday, 18 September 2013 at 17:29:54 UTC, F i L wrote:
> Somewhat related. I use Kate (for D & web development) and occasionally KDevelop (for C/C++ stuff). I only started using these when I switched from Gnome to KDE 6 months ago, but I was very impressed and now they're my favorite editors (KDevelop can even challenge Visual Studios for C/C++ dev in many ways).
>
> I would love to see more support for both these editors with D. DCD looks cool, but it's a bit complicate to get working, so I've held off from trying it.

AFAIK Kate already has DCD-based plugin for D
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2 3 4 5 6