Aug 20, 2010
Kagamin
Aug 20, 2010
Bob Cowdery
Aug 20, 2010
Bob Cowdery
August 19, 2010
 Hi

Just trying to get started and need a little advice. First up was selecting an IDE, tried a few and settled on Code::Blocks. I need Windows and Linux and also C and D supported in the same IDE. The support does not seem to be finished in Code::Blocks though, does it really not have syntax highlighting for D or did I miss something.

Anyhow it works well enough for now. First task was to build a test of D calling C. Made the simplest possible C static library, one method returns a string. Made the simplest possible D app which calls the C method and prints the result. I built the C part and then referenced it as a library in the D build. The D build goes with no errors and says it has written the output file... but it doesn't, there is  no output file.

It says:
Linking console executable: bin\Release\DTest.exe

Now I've tried this with just D code and it writes the output and runs so I know something works. Does anyone know where to look, is it Code::Blocks, compiler, stupidity (probably).

Regards
Bob
August 20, 2010
Bob Cowdery Wrote:

> Now I've tried this with just D code and it writes the output and runs so I know something works. Does anyone know where to look, is it Code::Blocks, compiler, stupidity (probably).

On windows dmd uses ancient OMF object format, but gcc compiles to COFF.
August 20, 2010
 On 20/08/2010 06:51, Kagamin wrote:
> Bob Cowdery Wrote:
>
>> Now I've tried this with just D code and it writes the output and runs so I know something works. Does anyone know where to look, is it Code::Blocks, compiler, stupidity (probably).
> On windows dmd uses ancient OMF object format, but gcc compiles to COFF.
Thanks for the hint. I found an object file converter and converted the C obj file to OMF and it now builds. It seems very odd to me to have to jump through this loop. This should be up in big red letters on the D site somewhere.

bob
August 20, 2010
 A bit more playing and I see that it's assumed that C code is compiled
with dmc and then the  D code can be compiled with dmd which will also
link in the obj left by dmc. It wasn't clear at all that to make things
work easily one needs to use both the C and D Digital Mars compilers.

Code::Blocks has led me a right old game by adding in switches the compiler doesn't understand. Eventually got it configured to use the dmc and dmd toolchains and managed to build and link in a C library. Some progress at last.

bob

On 20/08/2010 09:54, Bob Cowdery wrote:
>  On 20/08/2010 06:51, Kagamin wrote:
>> Bob Cowdery Wrote:
>>
>>> Now I've tried this with just D code and it writes the output and runs so I know something works. Does anyone know where to look, is it Code::Blocks, compiler, stupidity (probably).
>> On windows dmd uses ancient OMF object format, but gcc compiles to COFF.
> Thanks for the hint. I found an object file converter and converted the C obj file to OMF and it now builds. It seems very odd to me to have to jump through this loop. This should be up in big red letters on the D site somewhere.
>
> bob