View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
August 19, 2011
newsgroup availability
Has there been some strange issue with the newsgroup lately?  Frequently,  
I'm getting load errors (I assume this means the NG load is too large to  
deal with my communication).

It seems to be happening daily...

-Steve
August 19, 2011
Re: newsgroup availability
On 08/19/2011 03:44 PM, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> Has there been some strange issue with the newsgroup lately? Frequently,
> I'm getting load errors (I assume this means the NG load is too large to
> deal with my communication).
>
> It seems to be happening daily...
>
> -Steve

It has been the same for me.
August 19, 2011
Re: newsgroup availability
On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 15:52:40 +0200, Timon Gehr wrote:

> On 08/19/2011 03:44 PM, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> Has there been some strange issue with the newsgroup lately?
>> Frequently, I'm getting load errors (I assume this means the NG load is
>> too large to deal with my communication).
>>
>> It seems to be happening daily...
>>
>> -Steve
> 
> It has been the same for me.

Yep, I get it all the time.
August 19, 2011
Re: newsgroup availability
Timon Gehr <timon.gehr@gmx.ch> wrote:
> On 08/19/2011 03:44 PM, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> Has there been some strange issue with the newsgroup lately? Frequently,
>> I'm getting load errors (I assume this means the NG load is too large to
>> deal with my communication).
>> 
>> It seems to be happening daily...
>> 
>> -Steve
> 
> It has been the same for me.

It's the same for everyone because it's a problem of the newsgroup server,
not the client. I guess the server(s) needs more CPU running in parallel to
reduce load.
August 19, 2011
Re: newsgroup availability
On 19/08/2011 16:18, kennytm wrote:
> Timon Gehr<timon.gehr@gmx.ch>  wrote:
>> On 08/19/2011 03:44 PM, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>> Has there been some strange issue with the newsgroup lately? Frequently,
>>> I'm getting load errors (I assume this means the NG load is too large to
>>> deal with my communication).
>>>
>>> It seems to be happening daily...
>>>
>>> -Steve
>>
>> It has been the same for me.
>
> It's the same for everyone because it's a problem of the newsgroup server,
> not the client. I guess the server(s) needs more CPU running in parallel to
> reduce load.

Could it be the cause of frequent Thunderbird freezes? I can't tell 
because I only started using it for the newsgroup a few weeks ago.
August 19, 2011
Re: newsgroup availability
On 2011-08-19 15:44, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> Has there been some strange issue with the newsgroup lately? Frequently,
> I'm getting load errors (I assume this means the NG load is too large to
> deal with my communication).
>
> It seems to be happening daily...
>
> -Steve

I'm getting the same error.

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
August 19, 2011
Re: newsgroup availability
On 19/08/2011 14:44, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> Has there been some strange issue with the newsgroup lately? Frequently,
> I'm getting load errors (I assume this means the NG load is too large to
> deal with my communication).
>
> It seems to be happening daily...
>
> -Steve

Yes, I've also had the same error in the last few days...maybe we can 
have a mirror (that is sync'd regularly)?

~filgood
August 19, 2011
Re: newsgroup availability
Am 19.08.2011, 17:15 Uhr, schrieb Stijn Herreman  
<stijn.herreman@telenet.be>:

> On 19/08/2011 16:18, kennytm wrote:
>> Timon Gehr<timon.gehr@gmx.ch>  wrote:
>>> On 08/19/2011 03:44 PM, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>>> Has there been some strange issue with the newsgroup lately?  
>>>> Frequently,
>>>> I'm getting load errors (I assume this means the NG load is too large  
>>>> to
>>>> deal with my communication).
>>>>
>>>> It seems to be happening daily...
>>>>
>>>> -Steve
>>>
>>> It has been the same for me.
>>
>> It's the same for everyone because it's a problem of the newsgroup  
>> server,
>> not the client. I guess the server(s) needs more CPU running in  
>> parallel to
>> reduce load.
>
> Could it be the cause of frequent Thunderbird freezes? I can't tell  
> because I only started using it for the newsgroup a few weeks ago.

You could use the web interface to the newsgroup when you see the lockup  
and check if that loads or displays an error message about some load factor
August 19, 2011
Re: newsgroup availability
On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 15:18:34 -0400, Marco Leise <Marco.Leise@gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 19.08.2011, 17:15 Uhr, schrieb Stijn Herreman  
> <stijn.herreman@telenet.be>:
>
>> On 19/08/2011 16:18, kennytm wrote:
>>> Timon Gehr<timon.gehr@gmx.ch>  wrote:
>>>> On 08/19/2011 03:44 PM, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>>>> Has there been some strange issue with the newsgroup lately?  
>>>>> Frequently,
>>>>> I'm getting load errors (I assume this means the NG load is too  
>>>>> large to
>>>>> deal with my communication).
>>>>>
>>>>> It seems to be happening daily...
>>>>>
>>>>> -Steve
>>>>
>>>> It has been the same for me.
>>>
>>> It's the same for everyone because it's a problem of the newsgroup  
>>> server,
>>> not the client. I guess the server(s) needs more CPU running in  
>>> parallel to
>>> reduce load.
>>
>> Could it be the cause of frequent Thunderbird freezes? I can't tell  
>> because I only started using it for the newsgroup a few weeks ago.
>
> You could use the web interface to the newsgroup when you see the lockup  
> and check if that loads or displays an error message about some load  
> factor

It does.

BTW, this problem really makes me want to avoid the newsgroup...  I get no  
indication from my newsreader when it's "working", only when it's broken.   
So as a consequence, if I want to send a message or read messages, I have  
to keep polling to see if it works.

This seems like an artificial problem, does anyone know what the cause is?

-Steve
August 19, 2011
Re: newsgroup availability
On 08/19/2011 02:51 PM, filgood wrote:
>
> Yes, I've also had the same error in the last few days...maybe we can
> have a mirror (that is sync'd regularly)?
>
> ~filgood

It's available through Gmane:

nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.d.general
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home