Jump to page: 1 2
Thread overview
Who here uses vibe-s3 from code.dlang.org?
Aug 07
aberba
Aug 08
aberba
5 days ago
yawniek
4 days ago
aberba
1 day ago
yawniek
Aug 11
aberba
August 07
vibe-s3 (https://code.dlang.org/packages/vibe-s3) is an Amazon s3 object storage API for D.

Has anyone here used or tested it? What was your experiences? It has the tagline "this library is highly alpha and mostly untested. use at your own risk".
August 08
On Monday, 7 August 2017 at 22:46:57 UTC, aberba wrote:
> vibe-s3 (https://code.dlang.org/packages/vibe-s3) is an Amazon s3 object storage API for D.
>
> Has anyone here used or tested it? What was your experiences? It has the tagline "this library is highly alpha and mostly untested. use at your own risk".

I plan on using it in the near future*. Code looks good.

* (to mount cloud storage Wasabi[1] with dfuse[2])

[1] https://wasabi.com/
[2] https://github.com/facebook/dfuse

August 08
On Monday, 7 August 2017 at 22:46:57 UTC, aberba wrote:
> vibe-s3 (https://code.dlang.org/packages/vibe-s3) is an Amazon s3 object storage API for D.
>
> Has anyone here used or tested it? What was your experiences? It has the tagline "this library is highly alpha and mostly untested. use at your own risk".

I did not use S3 from vibe.d but I used the original code base and i am using DynamoDB in there: https://github.com/vibe-aws/vibe-aws

Would be great to merge s3 support back to this aws lib.

Cheers,
Stephan
August 08
On Monday, 7 August 2017 at 22:46:57 UTC, aberba wrote:
> vibe-s3 (https://code.dlang.org/packages/vibe-s3) is an Amazon s3 object storage API for D.
>
> Has anyone here used or tested it? What was your experiences? It has the tagline "this library is highly alpha and mostly untested. use at your own risk".

I created a generator which uses the JS Api definitions
https://github.com/aws/aws-sdk-js/tree/master/apis to create D structs and classes. Instead of calling the rest interfaces the generated code is calling the AWS console client, which is available for most operation systems.

Unfortunatelly I do not have the property on this library and therefore I am not allowed to release it. But I can say it was an matter of some hours to implement it and you have immediatelly access to all AWS services.

Kind regards
André

August 08
On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 08:49:33 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
> On Monday, 7 August 2017 at 22:46:57 UTC, aberba wrote:
>> [...]
>
> I created a generator which uses the JS Api definitions
> https://github.com/aws/aws-sdk-js/tree/master/apis to create D structs and classes. Instead of calling the rest interfaces the generated code is calling the AWS console client, which is available for most operation systems.
>
> Unfortunatelly I do not have the property on this library and therefore I am not allowed to release it. But I can say it was an matter of some hours to implement it and you have immediatelly access to all AWS services.
>
> Kind regards
> André

Aw :(
August 10
On Monday, 7 August 2017 at 22:46:57 UTC, aberba wrote:
> vibe-s3 (https://code.dlang.org/packages/vibe-s3) is an Amazon s3 object storage API for D.
>
> Has anyone here used or tested it? What was your experiences? It has the tagline "this library is highly alpha and mostly untested. use at your own risk".

Last time I tested it around Nov, 2016, it was very buggy. I'm using an in-house deimos wrapper for "libs3".

I would be awesome to have some native library for S3, and other AWS stuff, but I'm very thrown back by having it depend on vibe.d. Nothing against it, but say you just want to make a simple upload utility specialized, having to depend on vibe.d for that really is something unacceptable.

Ideally we'd wanna have a library for the whole Amazon auth stuff wrapped, and libraries for the specific services you want to use, being as standalone as possible.

August 11
On Thursday, 10 August 2017 at 15:49:35 UTC, Andres Clari wrote:
> On Monday, 7 August 2017 at 22:46:57 UTC, aberba wrote:
>> vibe-s3 (https://code.dlang.org/packages/vibe-s3) is an Amazon s3 object storage API for D.
>>
>> Has anyone here used or tested it? What was your experiences? It has the tagline "this library is highly alpha and mostly untested. use at your own risk".
>
> Last time I tested it around Nov, 2016, it was very buggy. I'm using an in-house deimos wrapper for "libs3".
>
> I would be awesome to have some native library for S3, and other AWS stuff, but I'm very thrown back by having it depend on vibe.d. Nothing against it, but say you just want to make a simple upload utility specialized, having to depend on vibe.d for that really is something unacceptable.
>
> Ideally we'd wanna have a library for the whole Amazon auth stuff wrapped, and libraries for the specific services you want to use, being as standalone as possible.

After comparing Google's object storage platform with Amazon, I found Google's to be much simpler and straight forward plus it uses a json  based api which is much simple to parse and understand.
August 11
On Friday, 11 August 2017 at 13:11:36 UTC, aberba wrote:
>
> After comparing Google's object storage platform with Amazon, I found Google's to be much simpler and straight forward plus it uses a json  based api which is much simple to parse and understand.

Maybe, but some people have to or prefer to use Amazon services, ideally we'd have libraries for both ecosystems. No ones software is an island, we have to talk other programs and services.
5 days ago
On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 08:49:33 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
> On Monday, 7 August 2017 at 22:46:57 UTC, aberba wrote:
>> vibe-s3 (https://code.dlang.org/packages/vibe-s3) is an Amazon s3 object storage API for D.
>>
>> Has anyone here used or tested it? What was your experiences? It has the tagline "this library is highly alpha and mostly untested. use at your own risk".
>
> I created a generator which uses the JS Api definitions
> https://github.com/aws/aws-sdk-js/tree/master/apis to create D structs and classes. Instead of calling the rest interfaces the generated code is calling the AWS console client, which is available for most operation systems.
>
> Unfortunatelly I do not have the property on this library and therefore I am not allowed to release it. But I can say it was an matter of some hours to implement it and you have immediatelly access to all AWS services.
>
> Kind regards
> André

the original goal of vibe-s3 was to allow streaming uploads of large files so that no memory/disk needs to be used.
shelling out (calling aws console client) is definitly not an option.


4 days ago
On Sunday, 13 August 2017 at 21:38:37 UTC, yawniek wrote:
> On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 08:49:33 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
>> [...]
>
> the original goal of vibe-s3 was to allow streaming uploads of large files so that no memory/disk needs to be used.
> shelling out (calling aws console client) is definitly not an option.

What exactly is missing or not working in its current state?
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2