Jump to page: 1 2 3
Thread overview
May 28
I created this PR to fix a bug over a year ago.

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/8121

It sat around for a couple months so I eventually closed it.  I recently re-opened it in the hopes that with the re-organization someone would look at it.  Could someone take a look?

June 03
On 5/28/2019 10:28 AM, Jonathan Marler wrote:
> I created this PR to fix a bug over a year ago.
> 
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/8121
> 
> It sat around for a couple months so I eventually closed it.  I recently re-opened it in the hopes that with the re-organization someone would look at it.  Could someone take a look?
> 

There's no purpose to closing things on github just because they've aged below the fold.
June 03
On Mon, 2019-06-03 at 12:07 -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> 
[…]
> There's no purpose to closing things on github just because they've
> aged below
> the fold.

Lots of projects delete all open issues that are over x months old (for
some x usually > 12 and < 36) entirely for marketing purposes of not
having old issues that are not actioned. Seems like un-professional
behaviour to me.

-- 
Russel.
===========================================
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077
London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk



June 03
On 6/3/2019 12:52 PM, Russel Winder wrote:
> Lots of projects delete all open issues that are over x months old (for
> some x usually > 12 and < 36) entirely for marketing purposes of not
> having old issues that are not actioned. Seems like un-professional
> behaviour to me.

I agree that closing a bug report or a PR is inappropriate if done for the following reasons:

1. marketing
2. anger (this has happened to us now and then)
3. age

I did create a special label "Phantom Zone" to place PRs in that still have value even if they are not appropriate to pull. For example, maybe the time just hasn't come for it yet, or there's useful information in it that can help a future better solution.

---

Irrelevant story time:

Back in the 80s, I kept a bug list as a simple text file (yes, I'm that old, I wasn't even using email yet as a bug database). I included the file with the compiler on the shipped disks (yes, that is really old, too, and Pony Express was the preferred shipping method, the Amazon Prime of the 1980s). One computer magazine did a "compiler roundup" article, and they destroyed my compiler by simply copy/pasting that text file as their "review".

I guess no good deed goes unpunished. I haven't changed my mind, however, about hiding the bug list for marketing porpoises.


June 03
On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 08:52:34PM +0100, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Mon, 2019-06-03 at 12:07 -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
> wrote:
> […]
> > There's no purpose to closing things on github just because they've aged below the fold.
> 
> Lots of projects delete all open issues that are over x months old (for some x usually > 12 and < 36) entirely for marketing purposes of not having old issues that are not actioned. Seems like un-professional behaviour to me.
[...]

It's common practice.  Doesn't make it right, though.


T

-- 
Shin: (n.) A device for finding furniture in the dark.
June 03
On 6/3/2019 1:19 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> It's common practice.  Doesn't make it right, though.

We're not doing it. Although proposals come by now and then to do such purges, I've been able to stop them before they've been implemented.

June 03
On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 01:17:02PM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
> I guess no good deed goes unpunished. I haven't changed my mind, however, about hiding the bug list for marketing porpoises.
[...]

Marketing is run by porpoises?  That... explains a lot. :-D


T

-- 
"Hi." "'Lo."
June 03
On Monday, 3 June 2019 at 19:07:36 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/28/2019 10:28 AM, Jonathan Marler wrote:
>> I created this PR to fix a bug over a year ago.
>> 
>> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/8121
>> 
>> It sat around for a couple months so I eventually closed it.  I recently re-opened it in the hopes that with the re-organization someone would look at it.  Could someone take a look?
>> 
>
> There's no purpose to closing things on github just because they've aged below the fold.

The purpose was to remove it from my "Pull Request" list on Github so I wouldn't have to think about it anymore.  It's quite frustrating to submit bug fixes for things you need to be fixed and then have no one respond to them for months.  So rather than having to look at that pull request and be reminded of that frustration everyday, after a few months I decided to close it to relieve that frustration.

Luckily now people are looking at my pull requests.  Thanks to TheWilsonator, Seb (wilzbach), Mike Franklin (jinshil), Jacob Carlborg.  The hope was that because of the recent re-org and changes that maybe now I could get the bug fix in.

Of course I still have to deal with the frustration of being misunderstood.  I spend alot of time explaining what my pull requests are doing but much of the time people don't seem to read the full description and/or related links (i.e. forum posts/bugzilla) before deciding to voice their opposition to the change. It's a very frustrating position to be in as I have no recourse.

June 03
On Monday, 3 June 2019 at 20:43:18 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/3/2019 1:19 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> It's common practice.  Doesn't make it right, though.
>
> We're not doing it. Although proposals come by now and then to do such purges, I've been able to stop them before they've been implemented.

I'm glad you maintain this view even after that article.  I agree bug reports shouldn't be closed unless they are actually fixed.
June 04
On Monday, 3 June 2019 at 20:43:18 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/3/2019 1:19 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> It's common practice.  Doesn't make it right, though.
>
> We're not doing it. Although proposals come by now and then to do such purges, I've been able to stop them before they've been implemented.

*cough* D1 bug reports *cough*
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2 3