August 29, 2015
I'm a bit late to reply to this announcement, but I would like to say that I am quite surprised by it. I really respect your decision to leave what must have been a very lucrative job to double down on D.

I have loved D since I picked it up years ago, and TDPL was my first real introduction to the language. You have really done a lot to contribute to a great language, and you are one of the software professionals I most respect. I'm looking forward to seeing what you can accomplish as a full time D overlord in the future.
August 29, 2015
On Monday, 24 August 2015 at 18:43:01 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
>
> Following an increasing desire to focus on working on the D language and foundation, I have recently made the difficult decision to part ways with Facebook, my employer of five years and nine months.
>
> Facebook has impacted my career and life very positively, and I am grateful to have been a part of it for this long. The time has come for me, however, to fully focus on pushing D forward. As sorry I am for leaving a good and secure career behind, I am excited many times over about the great challenges and opportunities going forward.
>
> Next step with the D Language Foundation is a formal talk with the foundation's prospective attorney tomorrow. I hope to get the foundation in motion as soon as possible, though I'm told there are numerous steps to complete. I will keep this forum posted about progress.
>
> I'm also glad to announce that the D Language Foundation already has a donor - I have decided to contribute my books' royalties to it. I encourage others to respond in kind.
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

Hey, awesome news!

I think D has a lot of potential. I really wish it got the attention it deserves.

Just curious though, where do containers sit on your todo list?
Is there a game-plan for this posted anywhere?

August 30, 2015
On Monday, 24 August 2015 at 18:43:01 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
>
> Following an increasing desire to focus on working on the D language and foundation, I have recently made the difficult decision to part ways with Facebook, my employer of five years and nine months.
>
> [...]

Great news. I wish you all the best.

PS: Multa bafta, sper sa duci D-ul acolo unde-i este locul.
August 30, 2015
On Sunday, 30 August 2015 at 11:48:26 UTC, Andrei wrote:
> On Monday, 24 August 2015 at 18:43:01 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>>
>> Following an increasing desire to focus on working on the D language and foundation, I have recently made the difficult decision to part ways with Facebook, my employer of five years and nine months.
>>
>> [...]
>
> Great news. I wish you all the best.
>
> PS: Multa bafta, sper sa duci D-ul acolo unde-i este locul.

Past is the past, why care; if you come out, perhaps the development of D will be better; the future is waiting for you to develop.
August 31, 2015
On Thursday, 27 August 2015 at 16:01:54 UTC, BBasile wrote:
>
> That's courageous, particularly past 50 yo. It's a different culture, past 50 yo in Europe people choose security, but in USA, past 50 yo some people still take the risk to try something new. Awesome.


The lifespan has been steadily increasing. Andrew could work for another 50 years!
That means he is very young right now and free to do anything he wants.
August 31, 2015
On Monday, 31 August 2015 at 23:27:40 UTC, John wrote:
> The lifespan has been steadily increasing. Andrew could work for another 50 years!
> That means he is very young right now and free to do anything he wants.

Sorry for misspelling Andrei's name.
September 12, 2015
On Friday, 28 August 2015 at 12:28:43 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-08-27 at 16:01 +0000, BBasile via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>> […]
>> 
>> That's courageous, particularly past 50 yo. It's a different culture, past 50 yo in Europe people choose security, but in USA, past 50 yo some people still take the risk to try something new. Awesome.
>
> I say "bollocks" to your accusation that Europeans post 50 are a bunch of useless idiots.
>
> I call double "bollocks" on the claim that only in the USA do people do anything.

Never mind the bollocks.

:handshake:
September 12, 2015
On Saturday, 12 September 2015 at 22:28:49 UTC, BBasile wrote:
> On Friday, 28 August 2015 at 12:28:43 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
>> On Thu, 2015-08-27 at 16:01 +0000, BBasile via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>>> […]
>>> 
>>> That's courageous, particularly past 50 yo. It's a different culture, past 50 yo in Europe people choose security, but in USA, past 50 yo some people still take the risk to try something new. Awesome.
>>
>> I say "bollocks" to your accusation that Europeans post 50 are a bunch of useless idiots.
>>
>> I call double "bollocks" on the claim that only in the USA do people do anything.
>
> Never mind the bollocks.
>
> :handshake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKLpeNJ9zZo

don't let your dishes just in front of your house.
September 13, 2015
On Friday, 28 August 2015 at 12:28:43 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-08-27 at 16:01 +0000, BBasile via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>> […]
>> 
>> That's courageous, particularly past 50 yo. It's a different culture, past 50 yo in Europe people choose security, but in USA, past 50 yo some people still take the risk to try something new. Awesome.
>
> I say "bollocks" to your accusation that Europeans post 50 are a bunch of useless idiots.
>
> I call double "bollocks" on the claim that only in the USA do people do anything.

https://www.google.fr/maps/@51.4602279,-0.1695423,3a,68.5y,2.82h,52.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shQpIZlKwZL_k_IzgQSA-aw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

I say that you could still sort your waste. Never mind the Bollocks.
October 12, 2015
Respect to Andrei for his decision, and I pray that his good intentions are sufficiently rewarded.

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:

> Wow. Sounds financially risky on your part, but if you can afford to do this, then it'll be great for the D community at large. The more resources we can have focused on D, the better.

Hopefully companies which are interested in leveraging D's performance/syntax combination will consult with the Foundation and so the finances (both the Foundation's and thereby Andrei's) will be taken care of. The Python foundation seems to have done that nicely for Python.

While I'm still "getting my D-legs" (< https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sea_legs) I do think D is the right way to combine Python-like high level syntax and C/C++-level power. I tried Cython but somehow it didn't click for me. And as for Go and Rust and all those other contenders, naah... [Is it even possible to write a Go/Rust compiler in Go/Rust? Or have they tried?]

Of course, all this is made possible by the great D community, the "Demos" (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/demos#Latin). [Sorry, somehow I'm in the dictionary/alliteration mood ;-)]

Shriramana Sharma.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11