December 08, 2011

On 12/8/2011 10:05 PM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> Why is breaking code OK to you just to follow an arbitrary schedule that you define in your head? If there was an official release schedule then these issues could be avoided.
>

It's not so much a schedule, as everything else gets halted when a beta goes out. When a fix for the beta happens, it starts all over again. 4 hours of testing, and a day or two out in the wild, when nothing happens.

I don't think it has anything to do with an official release schedule or not.

What matters is is it a critical bug or not?
December 09, 2011
Well yeah, it's the classic synchronized(WalterMutex) condition..
December 08, 2011

On 12/8/2011 11:43 PM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> Well yeah, it's the classic synchronized(WalterMutex) condition..
>

If you have a suggestion for speeding up the beta process, I'd like to hear it.
December 08, 2011
On Friday, December 09, 2011 08:42:26 Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> I don't get it, I can't build DustMite on 2.057: D:\DMD\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\phobos\std\file.d(3710): Error: f unction std.file.isDir is deprecated
> 
> But it calls isDir on a string, which should forward to the isDir function which isn't deprecated. :s

It's _not_ being called on a string. It's being called on a uint, and the version of isDir which took a uint was deprecated with this release (due to not being able to overload property functions with non-property functions). But the usage wasn't caught, because Phobos is built -d. I'm fixing it now.

- Jonathan M Davis
December 09, 2011

On 09 Dec, 2011,at 08:48 AM, Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com> wrote:

>
>
> On 12/8/2011 11:43 PM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> > Well yeah, it's the classic synchronized(WalterMutex) condition..
> >
>
> If you have a suggestion for speeding up the beta process, I'd like to hear it.

Yes, create a public beta branch. When you think it's time to put out a new release, branch out to the beta branch. Only fixes for regressions (or what you/someone decides) is allowed in the beta branch. Everyone else can continue to work on the main branch, nothing gets stalled?.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.puremagic.com/pipermail/dmd-beta/attachments/20111209/3bbef114/attachment-0001.html>
December 09, 2011
On 12/9/11 1:56 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>
>
> On 09 Dec, 2011,at 08:48 AM, Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> On 12/8/2011 11:43 PM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
>> > Well yeah, it's the classic synchronized(WalterMutex) condition..
>> >
>>
>> If you have a suggestion for speeding up the beta process, I'd like to hear it.
>
> Yes, create a public beta branch. When you think it's time to put out a new release, branch out to the beta branch. Only fixes for regressions (or what you/someone decides) is allowed in the beta branch. Everyone else can continue to work on the main branch, nothing gets stalled.

This sounds like an excellent idea.

Andrei
December 09, 2011
On 12/9/11 1:42 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> What matters is is it a critical bug or not?

I'd say that regressions is critical.

Andrei
December 09, 2011

On 12/8/2011 11:56 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>
>
> On 09 Dec, 2011,at 08:48 AM, Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> On 12/8/2011 11:43 PM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
>> > Well yeah, it's the classic synchronized(WalterMutex) condition..
>> >
>>
>> If you have a suggestion for speeding up the beta process, I'd like to hear it.
>
> Yes, create a public beta branch. When you think it's time to put out a new release, branch out to the beta branch. Only fixes for regressions (or what you/someone decides) is allowed in the beta branch. Everyone else can continue to work on the main branch, nothing gets stalled.

Anyone can fork and still create pull requests.
December 09, 2011
On 12/9/11 2:41 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Yes, create a public beta branch. When you think it's time to put out a new release, branch out to the beta branch. Only fixes for regressions (or what you/someone decides) is allowed in the beta branch. Everyone else can continue to work on the main branch, nothing gets stalled.
>
> Anyone can fork and still create pull requests.

I think you missed the point. It's about process, not possibility.

Andrei
December 09, 2011
On Thursday, December 08, 2011 23:48:43 Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Friday, December 09, 2011 08:42:26 Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> > I don't get it, I can't build DustMite on 2.057: D:\DMD\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\phobos\std\file.d(3710): Error: f unction std.file.isDir is deprecated
> > 
> > But it calls isDir on a string, which should forward to the isDir function which isn't deprecated. :s
> 
> It's _not_ being called on a string. It's being called on a uint, and the version of isDir which took a uint was deprecated with this release (due to not being able to overload property functions with non-property functions). But the usage wasn't caught, because Phobos is built -d. I'm fixing it now.

Fixed: https://github.com/D-Programming- Language/phobos/commit/7774df3203411af058553795e19a22137f4247a4

- Jonathan M Davis