August 06, 2004
just a question:

when will be the D compiler complete D based?

...a good example for the D power ;-)...

and will there be the feature to import the D compiler directly in my projects (like javas system.compiler)?

...for example i've got an basic-like-syntax which is transformed to
real C++ code and then compiled for running inside my project with full speed...

ciao dennis
August 06, 2004
dennis luehring schrieb:

> just a question:
> 
> when will be the D compiler complete D based?

That would be somewhat... urgh well, as i understand it, problematic, since digitalmars back-end looks like it is in C++ and it's closed-source. It might be for some legal reason, but even otherwise it's just understandable.

However, Walter said once it would be cool to have a compiler frontend written in D. Since GCC backend is C-based, it is possible, but i'm afraid the code generator is not very fast, even if it can produce some good code.

> ...a good example for the D power ;-)...

More a proof of concept...

> and will there be the feature to import the D compiler directly in my projects (like javas system.compiler)?

Noone knows. What i could imagine and would be nice, would be a scripting engine using D as a scripting language, then i guess you'd have an even more powerful interface. About what sort of execution engine it should have - i don't know. One could do an interpreter, or attach a jump-table compiler, or a JIT compiler (like MONO) with time.

I'd keep my eye on mono, i believe its backend might get quite good, as far as their outline says. I had suggested a way to implement lazy compilation without performance loss in their mailing list, but i don'tknow whether that's gonna happen.

> ...for example i've got an basic-like-syntax which is transformed to
> real C++ code and then compiled for running inside my project with full speed...

If you may requiere user to have DMD handy, you can simply output the files and use it.

-eye