Ilya Minkov
Aug 18, 2004
Arcane Jill
Aug 18, 2004
Sha Chancellor
Aug 22, 2004
Stewart Gordon
August 18, 2004
Does D provide a way to initial;ize an associative array?  I want to use a static const associative array in a class.  I'm beginning to think I'll have to drop the const part and use a static initializer instead.

--Chris Stevenson

August 18, 2004
Chris Stevenson schrieb:

> Does D provide a way to initial;ize an associative array?  I want to use a
> static const associative array in a class.  I'm beginning to think I'll have to
> drop the const part and use a static initializer instead.

Unfortunately, currently there are no associative array literals. Thus you won't be able to create a constant associative array. Walter hasn't expressed his mind on it, although there were a number of proposals.

-eye
August 18, 2004
In article <cfvd5q$2b60$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Ilya Minkov says...
>
>Chris Stevenson schrieb:
>
>> Does D provide a way to initial;ize an associative array?  I want to use a static const associative array in a class.  I'm beginning to think I'll have to drop the const part and use a static initializer instead.
>
>Unfortunately, currently there are no associative array literals. Thus you won't be able to create a constant associative array. Walter hasn't expressed his mind on it, although there were a number of proposals.

I have considered before the notion of cobbling one together with some inline assembler (or, more likely, writing a tool to automate such an asm block), but there's one small problem - from the D Manual page "Application Binary Interface":

> Associative Arrays
> TBD

Bah! I would like to know when this small piece of documentation could be completed.

Arcane Jill

August 18, 2004
In article <cfvd5q$2b60$1@digitaldaemon.com>,
 Ilya Minkov <minkov@cs.tum.edu> wrote:

> Chris Stevenson schrieb:
> 
> > Does D provide a way to initial;ize an associative array?  I want to use a
> > static const associative array in a class.  I'm beginning to think I'll
> > have to
> > drop the const part and use a static initializer instead.
> 
> Unfortunately, currently there are no associative array literals. Thus you won't be able to create a constant associative array. Walter hasn't expressed his mind on it, although there were a number of proposals.
> 
> -eye

int[3] a = [ 1:2, 3 ];          // a[0] = 0, a[1] = 2, a[2] = 3

This is most handy when the array indices are given by enums:
        enum Color { red, blue, green };

int value[Color.max] = [ blue:6, green:2, red:5 ];

The logical jump for me would be:

int[char[]]  foo  = [ "joe":5, "fran":10, "bob":20 ];

However, I don't think it's currently implemented.
August 22, 2004
Chris Stevenson wrote:

> Does D provide a way to initial;ize an associative array?  I want to use a
> static const associative array in a class.  I'm beginning to think I'll have to
> drop the const part and use a static initializer instead.

Been an issue for a while.

http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D/26695

Stewart.

-- 
My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies on on the 'group where everyone may benefit.