September 11, 2004
Ivan Senji wrote:
<snip>
> 
> I know it is a .NET requirement, but it doesn't have to be the
> requirement of D.NET, your compiler can transform a D.NET non static
> global function and internally implement it as static.
> 
</snip>

That's one of the "beautification" features that I'll probably eventually add once all of the basic functionality is completed. However, what I did release was never intended for release so it's extremely rough around the edges.  Some things like fptrs and delegates are completely unimplemented, and others, like slices, are only hackishly implemented.

I'm happy to see, however, that my little pre-alpha release had an expected effect of enticing me to work on D.NET more :)

-Deja
September 12, 2004
J C Calvarese wrote:
> deja wrote:
> 
>> There hasn't been much movement on the D.NET front lately as I'm getting settled back into college life.
>>
>> Since I don't know how long it'll be before I have a proper beta up and running I've decided to release what I have so far with a very simple caveat:
>>
>> "This software carries NO guarentees whatsoever, implied or explicit. Use at your own risk."
> 
> 
> That's fine. I won't sue you. ;)
> 
>> Check out http://dnet.scratch-ware.net/ for the download.
>>
>> Enjoy!
> 
> 
> Thanks.
> 
>>
>> -Deja
> 
> 
> 
> I'm among those that didn't have MSVCR80D.dll. I think I fixed that by downloading and installing Visual C++ 2005 Express (http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/get/default.aspx).
> 
> The installation crashed for me at first (because I missed that my firewall was blocking the installation -- oops!), but I think it's installed now.
> 
> Is this how I'm supposed to build the example?
> dnet.exe testlib.d
> dnet.exe main.d
> 
> 
> I ask because I'm still getting error messages:
> 
> 
> [dnet.exe main.d]
> testlib.d: testlib is not a valid module or assembly
> 
> 
> [dnet.exe main.d]
> 
> Unhandled Exception: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write
>  protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory has been corrup
> ted.
>    at std._Lockit.{ctor}(_Lockit* , Int32 )
>    at std._Container_base._Orphan_all(_Container_base* )
>    at std._Container_base.{dtor}(_Container_base* )
>    at std._Vector_val<gcroot<System::Reflection::Emit::ModuleBuilder ^>,std::all
> ocator<gcroot<System::Reflection::Emit::ModuleBuilder ^> >  >.{dtor}(_Vector_val<
> gcroot<System::Reflection::Emit::ModuleBuilder ^>\,std::allocator<gcroot<System:
> :Reflection::Emit::ModuleBuilder ^> > >* )
>    at std.vector<gcroot<System::Reflection::Emit::ModuleBuilder ^>,std::allocato
> r<gcroot<System::Reflection::Emit::ModuleBuilder ^> >  >.{dtor}(vector<gcroot<Sys
> tem::Reflection::Emit::ModuleBuilder ^>\,std::allocator<gcroot<System::Reflectio
> n::Emit::ModuleBuilder ^> > >* )
>    at Global.{dtor}(Global* )
>    at ?A0xa0a42665.??__Fglobal@@$$FYMXXZ()
>    at _exit_callback()
>    at __unload_class.DomainUnload(Object , EventArgs )
> 
> 
> Any ideas where I went wrong?
> 

Yes, I did not include the testlib assembly with the download.  You can get it at http://dnet.scratch-ware.net/TestLib.dll

Just throw it in the same folder as DNET.exe and it should work just fine.  TestLib was a sample written in C# used to demonstrate that D.NET does indeed produce a working .NET assembly that can interop with other .NET languages.

To all:
I apologize for not having built it to be more readily distributable, but it was never intended for release at this stage.  In order to get it to work you will probably have to install VC8 (the 2005 beta).  However, if you're willing to mess around with a pre-alpha then you have no excuse to be squeemish about using, what I've found to be, a pretty decent beta.

Also, since I've had a little time to code today, I've implemented proper handling of D arrays and slicing no longer duplicates the data but rather does as it should do and plays with references. Unfortunately, I broke some other code in doing so, so it'll be a bit before I'll be able to upload this.

Just rest assured that I'm back on the project and picking up steam once again :)

-Deja
September 12, 2004
Deja Augustine wrote:
> J C Calvarese wrote:
> 
>> deja wrote:
>>
>>> There hasn't been much movement on the D.NET front lately as I'm getting settled back into college life.
>>>
>>> Since I don't know how long it'll be before I have a proper beta up and running I've decided to release what I have so far with a very simple caveat:
>>>
>>> "This software carries NO guarentees whatsoever, implied or explicit. Use at your own risk."
>>
>>
>>
>> That's fine. I won't sue you. ;)
>>
>>> Check out http://dnet.scratch-ware.net/ for the download.
>>>
>>> Enjoy!
>> Unhandled Exception: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to 
>>
>> Any ideas where I went wrong?
>>
> 
> Yes, I did not include the testlib assembly with the download.  You can get it at http://dnet.scratch-ware.net/TestLib.dll
> 
> Just throw it in the same folder as DNET.exe and it should work just 

Thanks, that did the trick.

> fine.  TestLib was a sample written in C# used to demonstrate that D.NET does indeed produce a working .NET assembly that can interop with other .NET languages.

I don't like to try to write my own examples until I've gotten at least one of the examples that come with the compiler to work. ;)

Now, that I've seen it work, I might get a little more creative.

> 
> To all:
> I apologize for not having built it to be more readily distributable, but it was never intended for release at this stage.  In order to get it to work you will probably have to install VC8 (the 2005 beta).  However, if you're willing to mess around with a pre-alpha then you have no excuse to be squeemish about using, what I've found to be, a pretty decent beta.

I don't think any apology is needed. You warned us it'd be rough around the edges.

I certainly didn't mean to put you on the spot. My computer's pretty dis-organized. (I'm planning to format the hard drive and start over sometime soon.) I wasn't sure if it I needed to install something else or if I was misusing the compiler.

> Also, since I've had a little time to code today, I've implemented proper handling of D arrays and slicing no longer duplicates the data but rather does as it should do and plays with references. Unfortunately, I broke some other code in doing so, so it'll be a bit before I'll be able to upload this.

No rush. I'm glad to read that you're making progress.

> 
> Just rest assured that I'm back on the project and picking up steam once again :)
> 
> -Deja

-- 
Justin (a/k/a jcc7)
http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
1 2
Next ›   Last »