Apr 01, 2006
chris_h
Apr 02, 2006
Frank Benoit
Apr 02, 2006
Walter Bright
April 01, 2006
Hi!

I'm new to D and have had real trouble finding information from Google.  "D programming Language", "D language", "D programming", "Digital Mars" and related combinations all throw up different clusters of results, making it hard work to search as each combination must be tried in addition to the keywords for what I want to know about (which themselves may require several combinations).  It is not possible to enter the terms without quotes, of course, because the meaning of the 'D' gets lost.

This subject has been raised before here:
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/28642.html
But no conclusion was reached, (possibly because the original poster suggested
changing the name of the language to D++)

and in the form of a related (and an even better) idea here: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/2539.html

Would it be possible for someone with authority to decree that some tag was universally used to refer to "The D Programming Language", and every site about D could use it and put it in meta tags or whatever... making for easy searching as only the keywords that describe the compiler error or language feature or whatever it is that I am searching for will need to be fiddled with to find a useful site.

I have Googled a few combinations and 'DMDLANG' matches nothing, and so is my suggestion for an simple, easy to remember & unambiguous search term that only comes in one form, not a multitude of slight variations!

I'd also like to add my vote for the suggestion outlined in the second post.

chris_h
April 02, 2006
chris_h schrieb:

> want to know about (which themselves may require several combinations).  It is not possible to enter the terms without quotes, of course, because the meaning of the 'D' gets lost.
> 
not really an answer to your posting, ...
Instead of quotes you can use d-programming, which is the same for
google like "d programming".
April 02, 2006
chris_h wrote:
> Would it be possible for someone with authority to decree that some tag was
> universally used to refer to "The D Programming Language", and every site about
> D could use it and put it in meta tags or whatever... making for easy searching
> as only the keywords that describe the compiler error or language feature or
> whatever it is that I am searching for will need to be fiddled with to find a
> useful site.

I recommend to everyone building a D site to include the phrase "D programming language" in the title, meta tags, or text. If you run across a D web page that doesn't, usually a note to the webmaster about it is all that's necessary.