Oct 18, 2007
KAR
Oct 18, 2007
Lars Ivar Igesund
Oct 18, 2007
KAR
October 18, 2007
hi all,

ive decided d for my my next project, the problem is which one should i use, phobos or tango. whats the big difference and the future since d 2.0 already release. most important thing is i want my program in small footprint, so combinging those two is not an option.
October 18, 2007
KAR wrote:

> hi all,
> 
> ive decided d for my my next project, the problem is which one should i use, phobos or tango. whats the big difference and the future since d 2.0 already release. most important thing is i want my program in small footprint, so combinging those two is not an option.

If you want fairly stable development, 2.0 is probably a bad choice for now. Tango does not support it yet for this reason.

You should be able to create a smaller footprint program with Tango due to higher modularity. We would like to hear about obvious problems to that effect.

To me, Tango would be the obvious choice always, but then I'm not yet in need of any of the 2.0 features. Also, I'm somewhat biased :)

-- 
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net
DSource, #d.tango & #D: larsivi
Dancing the Tango
October 18, 2007
Thanks Lars.

i hope ppl dont take it as a bias, since i need an opinion base on my requirement. im writing a search engine which will require a lot of memory and speed both in indexing and querying. so i will need a stable and fast library.

can you pls ealborate on tango's higher modularity.

October 18, 2007
KAR wrote:

> Thanks Lars.
> 
> i hope ppl dont take it as a bias, since i need an opinion base on my requirement. im writing a search engine which will require a lot of memory and speed both in indexing and querying. so i will need a stable and fast library.

Note that where Tango excels, is in memory usage, meaning that memory allocations are avoided wherever possible. This usually has a very positive effect on speed as well, considering allocating memory usually is a slow process. Subsequent garbage collections tend to make this effect worse. I would indeed expect D (taking advantage of slicing) and Tango to be perfect for a search engine.

> can you pls ealborate on tango's higher modularity.

Tango has less functionality per module, making it more likely that when importing something, you will only get what you actually want.

Feel free to join #d.tango on Freenode for specific questions.

-- 
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net
DSource, #d.tango & #D: larsivi
Dancing the Tango
October 18, 2007
> Note that where Tango excels, is in memory usage, meaning that memory allocations are avoided wherever possible.

> Tango has less functionality per module, making it more likely that when importing something, you will only get what you actually want.

yep, thats what i need to know for now, thanks alot man.