Burton Radons
Oct 20, 2007
Nic Tiger
Oct 20, 2007
Burton Radons
Oct 20, 2007
Burton Radons
October 20, 2007
Ohskays, update time! Pretty much everything is changed. Added language parameter to schema, added Cg (Cg and GLSL use the same formulae, only their base schema file is different), added global parameters, greatly improved the code (although I still wouldn't bring it home to mama), greatly improved text rendering (the X850 renders it weirdly, I don't know what's up with that), added gradient parameters (format is the same as in Ultra Fractal), and you can zoom and pan with the same button.

You now have to pass gpufractal.exe a schema file on the commandline; the two packaged schema are "schema-fractal-cg.h" and "schema-fractal-glsl.h".

The interface is exclusively mouse based. Left mouse button to zoom in, right mouse button to zoom out, middle mouse button to scroll. Using the mouse wheel puts you in variable mode. The mouse wheel selects the current variable, dragging the left mouse button changes it (enumerations and floats are changed by dragging to the right or left), clicking the middle mouse button resets to the initial value, and right clicking returns to zoom/scroll mode.

This is how compatibility seems to be on ATI cards:

R520 (X1300-X1950) - Should work with a recent driver!
	R420 (X700-X850) - Barely works with a hacked limited path, no guarantees.
	R300 (9500-9800) - Hah! No way.
	R200, R100, Rage, Mach - Err, no.

The NVIDIA functionality seems to be:

GeForce 8 - Yayyay!
	GeForce 7 - Yay!
	GeForce 6 - Dunno?
	GeForce 2-5/256, Riva 128/TNT/TNT2, NV1/NV2 - Not likely.
	Hercules - Untested.

If it seems like it should work but it doesn't, your driver is probably years out of date. The current ATI driver reports version "2.0.6120" on the commandline on Windows XP, "2.0.6956" on Vista. The current NVIDIA driver reports version "2.1.1" on Vista.

Files:

http://members.shaw.ca/burton-radons/GPUFractal-2.7z (executable, 247KB)
http://members.shaw.ca/burton-radons/GPUFractal-2-source.7z (source, 289KB)
http://members.shaw.ca/burton-radons/cg.7z (Cg DLLs if you need them, 627KB)
October 20, 2007
What about Intel based graphics?
I'm using a laptop and so have an integrated intel video card. It's an
910 according to device manager...

Burton Radons wrote:
> Ohskays, update time! Pretty much everything is changed. Added language parameter to schema, added Cg (Cg and GLSL use the same formulae, only their base schema file is different), added global parameters, greatly improved the code (although I still wouldn't bring it home to mama), greatly improved text rendering (the X850 renders it weirdly, I don't know what's up with that), added gradient parameters (format is the same as in Ultra Fractal), and you can zoom and pan with the same button.
> 
> You now have to pass gpufractal.exe a schema file on the commandline; the two packaged schema are "schema-fractal-cg.h" and "schema-fractal-glsl.h".
> 
> The interface is exclusively mouse based. Left mouse button to zoom in, right mouse button to zoom out, middle mouse button to scroll. Using the mouse wheel puts you in variable mode. The mouse wheel selects the current variable, dragging the left mouse button changes it (enumerations and floats are changed by dragging to the right or left), clicking the middle mouse button resets to the initial value, and right clicking returns to zoom/scroll mode.
> 
> This is how compatibility seems to be on ATI cards:
> 
> 	R520 (X1300-X1950) - Should work with a recent driver!
> 	R420 (X700-X850) - Barely works with a hacked limited path, no guarantees.
> 	R300 (9500-9800) - Hah! No way.
> 	R200, R100, Rage, Mach - Err, no.
> 
> The NVIDIA functionality seems to be:
> 
> 	GeForce 8 - Yayyay!
> 	GeForce 7 - Yay!
> 	GeForce 6 - Dunno?
> 	GeForce 2-5/256, Riva 128/TNT/TNT2, NV1/NV2 - Not likely.
> 	Hercules - Untested.
> 
> If it seems like it should work but it doesn't, your driver is probably years out of date. The current ATI driver reports version "2.0.6120" on the commandline on Windows XP, "2.0.6956" on Vista. The current NVIDIA driver reports version "2.1.1" on Vista.
> 
> Files:
> 
> http://members.shaw.ca/burton-radons/GPUFractal-2.7z (executable, 247KB)
> http://members.shaw.ca/burton-radons/GPUFractal-2-source.7z (source, 289KB)
> http://members.shaw.ca/burton-radons/cg.7z (Cg DLLs if you need them, 627KB)

October 20, 2007
Burton Radons wrote:
> Ohskays, update time! Pretty much everything is changed. Added language parameter to schema, added Cg (Cg and GLSL use the same formulae, only their base schema file is different), added global parameters, greatly improved the code (although I still wouldn't bring it home to mama), greatly improved text rendering (the X850 renders it weirdly, I don't know what's up with that), added gradient parameters (format is the same as in Ultra Fractal), and you can zoom and pan with the same button.

Nice! The Cg version works on my X800XL now, with some limitations.

Vendor: 'ATI Technologies Inc.'
Renderer: 'RADEON X800 Series x86/MMX/3DNow!/SSE2'
Version: '2.0.6847 WinXP Release'

Changing the "Inside" option gives this, I guess C6003 is a limitation of my card:

CG Compilation failed:
        (114) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "float4" to "float2"
        (114) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "float4" to "float2"
        (0) : error C6003: Arithmetic instruction limit of 512 exceeded; 519
arithmetic instructions needed to compile program

Trying to set Gradient Offsets and Gradients to their defaults with middle click gives this:

ArrayBoundsError gpufractal.main(265)

-- 
E-mail address: matti.niemenmaa+news, domain is iki (DOT) fi
October 20, 2007
Yigal Chripun Wrote:

> What about Intel based graphics?
> I'm using a laptop and so have an integrated intel video card. It's an
> 910 according to device manager...

No way! DirectX Shader Model 2.0, which the GMA 910GL supports, only handles 32+64 total instructions and has no dynamic flow control support. I need a single-pass Turing complete GPU, which defines a fairly recent cut-off point for full capability.

I can see some way of computing a Mandelbrot fractal on such a machine (using 8.8 fixed point), but it would be much like the Mandelbrot printouts from the 1960s: slow to generate and low in detail. Sorry!
October 20, 2007
Matti Niemenmaa Wrote:

> Burton Radons wrote:
> > Ohskays, update time! Pretty much everything is changed. Added language parameter to schema, added Cg (Cg and GLSL use the same formulae, only their base schema file is different), added global parameters, greatly improved the code (although I still wouldn't bring it home to mama), greatly improved text rendering (the X850 renders it weirdly, I don't know what's up with that), added gradient parameters (format is the same as in Ultra Fractal), and you can zoom and pan with the same button.
> 
> Nice! The Cg version works on my X800XL now, with some limitations.
> 
> Vendor: 'ATI Technologies Inc.'
> Renderer: 'RADEON X800 Series x86/MMX/3DNow!/SSE2'
> Version: '2.0.6847 WinXP Release'
> 
> Changing the "Inside" option gives this, I guess C6003 is a limitation of my card:
> 
> CG Compilation failed:
>         (114) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "float4" to "float2"
>         (114) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "float4" to "float2"
>         (0) : error C6003: Arithmetic instruction limit of 512 exceeded; 519
> arithmetic instructions needed to compile program

Yeah, I gave up trying to figure out how to keep under the limits for the R420. What you scrolled into was exponential smoothing, which attaches code to each loop. I had previously hacked down MAXITER to get under a limit (I think it was 18), but then it stopped working in my last tests and I decided to leave it as is rather than make a mess out of the code for a card I didn't actually support.

One thing in my plans is to make the code more forgiving of errors, so that it will just say that this is an invalid condition, here is why, enjoy this black screen until you fix the problem.

> Trying to set Gradient Offsets and Gradients to their defaults with middle click gives this:
> 
> ArrayBoundsError gpufractal.main(265)

Whoops!
October 20, 2007
Burton Radons пишет:

> 
> You now have to pass gpufractal.exe a schema file on the commandline; the two packaged schema are "schema-fractal-cg.h" and "schema-fractal-glsl.h".
> 
> The interface is exclusively mouse based. Left mouse button to zoom in, right mouse button to zoom out, middle mouse button to scroll. Using the mouse wheel puts you in variable mode. The mouse wheel selects the current variable, dragging the left mouse button changes it (enumerations and floats are changed by dragging to the right or left), clicking the middle mouse button resets to the initial value, and right clicking returns to zoom/scroll mode.
> 
> This is how compatibility seems to be on ATI cards:
> 
> 	R520 (X1300-X1950) - Should work with a recent driver!
> 	R420 (X700-X850) - Barely works with a hacked limited path, no guarantees.
> 	R300 (9500-9800) - Hah! No way.
> 	R200, R100, Rage, Mach - Err, no.
> 
> The NVIDIA functionality seems to be:
> 
> 	GeForce 8 - Yayyay!
> 	GeForce 7 - Yay!
> 	GeForce 6 - Dunno?
> 	GeForce 2-5/256, Riva 128/TNT/TNT2, NV1/NV2 - Not likely.
> 	Hercules - Untested.
> 
> If it seems like it should work but it doesn't, your driver is probably years out of date. The current ATI driver reports version "2.0.6120" on the commandline on Windows XP, "2.0.6956" on Vista. The current NVIDIA driver reports version "2.1.1" on Vista.
> 
> Files:
> 
> http://members.shaw.ca/burton-radons/GPUFractal-2.7z (executable, 247KB)
> http://members.shaw.ca/burton-radons/GPUFractal-2-source.7z (source, 289KB)
> http://members.shaw.ca/burton-radons/cg.7z (Cg DLLs if you need them, 627KB)
Vendor: 'NVIDIA Corporation'
Renderer: 'GeForce 6600 GT/PCI/SSE2'
Version: '2.0.3'

with Cg works!
October 20, 2007
Nic Tiger Wrote:

> Vendor: 'NVIDIA Corporation'
> Renderer: 'GeForce 6600 GT/PCI/SSE2'
> Version: '2.0.3'
> 
> with Cg works!

Just like that? Great! What about GLSL with your current driver? If it doesn't work, it should after updating.
October 20, 2007
Burton Radons Wrote:

> Nic Tiger Wrote:
> 
> > Vendor: 'NVIDIA Corporation'
> > Renderer: 'GeForce 6600 GT/PCI/SSE2'
> > Version: '2.0.3'
> > 
> > with Cg works!
> 
> Just like that? Great! What about GLSL with your current driver? If it doesn't work, it should after updating.

Ah, I saw your other message.