June 14, 2008
Hi Matthew,

When I was trying out a (get) method property, it took me some time to find out that the errors I got are caused by the (lack of) capability of the compiler used (VC6 and GCC 3.4.2).

To make a long story short, I think it would be helpful if compilers that cannot use and therefore do not define
   STLSOFT_METHOD_PROPERTY_SET_EXTERNAL_PROP
   STLSOFT_METHOD_PROPERTY_GETSET_EXTERNAL_PROP

would report that fact via a #error, for example as in

#else /* ? STLSOFT_CF_MEM_FUNC_AS_TEMPLATE_PARAM_SUPPORT */
=> # error Compiler is not compatible with method set properties
   #endif /* STLSOFT_CF_MEM_FUNC_AS_TEMPLATE_PARAM_SUPPORT */

With an emphasis on *set*.

By the looks of stlsoft/properties/method_properties.hpp, it seems there are compilers whithout STLSOFT_CF_MEM_FUNC_AS_TEMPLATE_PARAM_SUPPORT capability that can support STLSOFT_METHOD_PROPERTY_GET_EXTERNAL_PROP but VC6 and GCC 3.4.2 seem not to be one of these. Unfortunately VC6 or GCC 3.4.2 do not report an error that explains this incapability when compiling such a get method. So may be STLSoft can provide some help here too?

Cheers,

Martin.
June 15, 2008
Martin Moene wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
> 
> When I was trying out a (get) method property, it took me some time to find out that the errors I got are caused by the (lack of) capability of the compiler used (VC6 and GCC 3.4.2).
> 
> To make a long story short, I think it would be helpful if compilers that cannot use and therefore do not define
>    STLSOFT_METHOD_PROPERTY_SET_EXTERNAL_PROP
>    STLSOFT_METHOD_PROPERTY_GETSET_EXTERNAL_PROP
> 
> would report that fact via a #error, for example as in
> 
>    #else /* ? STLSOFT_CF_MEM_FUNC_AS_TEMPLATE_PARAM_SUPPORT */
> => # error Compiler is not compatible with method set properties
>    #endif /* STLSOFT_CF_MEM_FUNC_AS_TEMPLATE_PARAM_SUPPORT */
> 
> With an emphasis on *set*.

Well,

using #error as shown above, also inhibits use of a property get method (STLSOFT_METHOD_PROPERTY_GET_EXTERNAL) where its use would be possible.

Not a good idea...

The error should occur when we /use/ the property set method when the compiler cannot provide us with that. However just expanding to #error is not possible:

# define STLSOFT_METHOD_PROPERTY_GETSET_EXTERNAL(RG, RS, C, GM, SM, P) \
  #error Error: Compiler is not compatible with method set properties.

Maybe the following is a possible solution?

# define STLSOFT_METHOD_PROPERTY_GETSET_EXTERNAL(RG, RS, C, GM, SM, P) \
  Error_Compiler_is_not_compatible_with_method_set_properties

which yields an undeclared identifier error.

Cheers,

Martin.

> 
> By the looks of stlsoft/properties/method_properties.hpp, it seems there are compilers whithout STLSOFT_CF_MEM_FUNC_AS_TEMPLATE_PARAM_SUPPORT capability that can support STLSOFT_METHOD_PROPERTY_GET_EXTERNAL_PROP but VC6 and GCC 3.4.2 seem not to be one of these. Unfortunately VC6 or GCC 3.4.2 do not report an error that explains this incapability when compiling such a get method. So may be STLSoft can provide some help here too?
> 
> Cheers,
> 
> Martin.