Jan 17, 2009
Matthew Wilson
Jan 23, 2009
Josh Kelley
Jan 24, 2009
Matt Wilson
January 16, 2009
Hi Josh

Thanks for the offer of help. I'll get back to you with a proper answer over the w/e

Cheers

Matt

"Josh Kelley" <jkelley@windrock.com> wrote in message news:gkgcoq$2shk$1@digitalmars.com...
> I'm trying out STLSoft under C++Builder 2007 (Borland / CodeGear C++ 5.93) and noticed that STLSoft doesn't explicitly support C++Builder 2007.
>
> I'd be happy to test out STLSoft under C++Builder 2007
> and 2009 and submit any fixes that I find, but is there
> any kind of test suite to make it easy to do so?
>
> -- 
> Josh Kelley

January 17, 2009
Hi Josh

"Josh Kelley" <jkelley@windrock.com> wrote in message news:gkgcoq$2shk$1@digitalmars.com...
> I'm trying out STLSoft under C++Builder 2007 (Borland / CodeGear C++ 5.93) and noticed that STLSoft doesn't explicitly support C++Builder 2007.

Yeah, so far it only goes up to 5.84. And even then there may be compatibilities that are not completely ironed out.

> I'd be happy to test out STLSoft under C++Builder 2007
> and 2009 and submit any fixes that I find, but is there
> any kind of test suite to make it easy to do so?

That'd be great.

The only problem - my usual problem - is that the STLSoft libraries are lagging behind many others (including most others of my own)
in their packaging, documentation and automation (incl. automated testing). This is in large part because I'm (still) a bit of a
one-man-band, although I'm always open to offers of help and am hoping to open things up soon.

There's certainly a branch of work - STLSoft 1.10: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=238860&package_id=294944 -
underway in which automated testing is being used. The idea with 1.10 is that:
 - includes some new features
 - includes all necessary cleanup - file-naming conventions, documentation markup, and so on - for existing/new "official" features
that are to stay in the official library
 - clearly distinguishes obsolete/experimental stuff that shouldn't really be in the library any more
 - includes full automated testing for all "official" features
 - has a Wiki on the website
 - makes 1.10 available via the SVN repo on SourceForge
 - RPM, .Deb & other UNIX packaging

At the moment 1.10 is in alpha (delta) state. This weirdly named designation indicates that what's currently in 1.10 is alpha, and
that its contents are a delta over 1.19. Simply, if you define STLSOFT_1_10 and STLSOFT environment variables, for the 1.10 and 1.9
distributation unpack directories, respectively, then you would specify first -I$STLSOFT_1_10/include and then $STLSOFT/include on
the command line. This would cause 1.10 versions of components to be picked up first, followed by extant 1.9 versions.

The plan is to do the SVN+non-delta+old/new-separation for the first beta. But when that is is up in the air. Given the level of
other commitments I have at the moment - consultancy, book & article writing, other OS libs - it may be quite a few months.

If you are still interested in helping out, and wish to assist with any of the above - or, better, can think of a way to accelerate
things - then please let me know! You'd be extremely welcome.

Matt

January 23, 2009
Matthew Wilson Wrote:

> There's certainly a branch of work - STLSoft 1.10: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=238860&package_id=294944 -
> underway in which automated testing is being used. The idea with 1.10 is that:
>  - includes some new features
>  - includes all necessary cleanup - file-naming conventions, documentation markup, and so on - for existing/new "official" features
> that are to stay in the official library
>  - clearly distinguishes obsolete/experimental stuff that shouldn't really be in the library any more
>  - includes full automated testing for all "official" features
>  - has a Wiki on the website
>  - makes 1.10 available via the SVN repo on SourceForge
>  - RPM, .Deb & other UNIX packaging
> 
> At the moment 1.10 is in alpha (delta) state. This weirdly named designation indicates that what's currently in 1.10 is alpha, and
> that its contents are a delta over 1.19. Simply, if you define STLSOFT_1_10 and STLSOFT environment variables, for the 1.10 and 1.9
> distributation unpack directories, respectively, then you would specify first -I$STLSOFT_1_10/include and then $STLSOFT/include on
> the command line. This would cause 1.10 versions of components to be picked up first, followed by extant 1.9 versions.
> 
> The plan is to do the SVN+non-delta+old/new-separation for the first beta. But when that is is up in the air. Given the level of
> other commitments I have at the moment - consultancy, book & article writing, other OS libs - it may be quite a few months.
> 
> If you are still interested in helping out, and wish to assist with any of the above - or, better, can think of a way to accelerate
> things - then please let me know! You'd be extremely welcome.

Thank you for the information.

I'm definitely interested in taking a deeper look at your libraries, but my problem right now is that I have too many projects which interest me, and I don't have an immediate need for STLSoft at work.  So I'm not sure how much or how quickly I'll have time to help, but it is something that I'd like to look into in the future.

Josh Kelley
January 24, 2009
Josh Kelley Wrote:

> Matthew Wilson Wrote:
> 
> > There's certainly a branch of work - STLSoft 1.10: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=238860&package_id=294944 -
> > underway in which automated testing is being used. The idea with 1.10 is that:
> >  - includes some new features
> >  - includes all necessary cleanup - file-naming conventions, documentation markup, and so on - for existing/new "official" features
> > that are to stay in the official library
> >  - clearly distinguishes obsolete/experimental stuff that shouldn't really be in the library any more
> >  - includes full automated testing for all "official" features
> >  - has a Wiki on the website
> >  - makes 1.10 available via the SVN repo on SourceForge
> >  - RPM, .Deb & other UNIX packaging
> > 
> > At the moment 1.10 is in alpha (delta) state. This weirdly named designation indicates that what's currently in 1.10 is alpha, and
> > that its contents are a delta over 1.19. Simply, if you define STLSOFT_1_10 and STLSOFT environment variables, for the 1.10 and 1.9
> > distributation unpack directories, respectively, then you would specify first -I$STLSOFT_1_10/include and then $STLSOFT/include on
> > the command line. This would cause 1.10 versions of components to be picked up first, followed by extant 1.9 versions.
> > 
> > The plan is to do the SVN+non-delta+old/new-separation for the first beta. But when that is is up in the air. Given the level of
> > other commitments I have at the moment - consultancy, book & article writing, other OS libs - it may be quite a few months.
> > 
> > If you are still interested in helping out, and wish to assist with any of the above - or, better, can think of a way to accelerate
> > things - then please let me know! You'd be extremely welcome.
> 
> Thank you for the information.
> 
> I'm definitely interested in taking a deeper look at your libraries, but my problem right now is that I have too many projects which interest me, and I don't have an immediate need for STLSoft at work.  So I'm not sure how much or how quickly I'll have time to help, but it is something that I'd like to look into in the future.

I understand. For immediate relevance I'd point you towards Pantheios (logging; http://www.pantheios.org/) and FastFormat (formatting; http://www.fastformat.org/), as they each are faster, more robust, and more flexible than any other libraries of the respective function. (They also both use STLSoft, btw.)

HTH

Matt