September 18, 2013
On 18/09/13 19:10, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> For starters, Qt creator can make use of Kate configuration files.
>
> So we could at very least have D syntax highlighting available.

It is available -- current Qt Creator has the same d.xml as the most recent Kate.  It dates from 2011 and supports both D and Ddoc syntax highlighting.

I wasn't able to get auto-indentation working with D source files, though.
September 18, 2013
On Wednesday, 18 September 2013 at 17:38:57 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> On 18/09/13 19:10, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> For starters, Qt creator can make use of Kate configuration files.
>>
>> So we could at very least have D syntax highlighting available.
>
> It is available -- current Qt Creator has the same d.xml as the most recent Kate.  It dates from 2011 and supports both D and Ddoc syntax highlighting.
>
> I wasn't able to get auto-indentation working with D source files, though.

+1

I use Qt Creator for debugging D when I get a hangover from too much GDB. It works fine with breakpoints, watch list and the rest. As long as I compile with -gc though.

What would be nice is a plugin that provides some tools like jump to definition for variables, find usages etc. I'd be willing to help out with that, testing, coding, documenting etc.
September 18, 2013
On Wednesday, 18 September 2013 at 23:25:56 UTC, growler wrote:
> On Wednesday, 18 September 2013 at 17:38:57 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
>> On 18/09/13 19:10, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>>> For starters, Qt creator can make use of Kate configuration files.
>>>
>>> So we could at very least have D syntax highlighting available.
>>
>> It is available -- current Qt Creator has the same d.xml as the most recent Kate.  It dates from 2011 and supports both D and Ddoc syntax highlighting.
>>
>> I wasn't able to get auto-indentation working with D source files, though.
>
> +1
>
> I use Qt Creator for debugging D when I get a hangover from too much GDB. It works fine with breakpoints, watch list and the rest. As long as I compile with -gc though.
>
> What would be nice is a plugin that provides some tools like jump to definition for variables, find usages etc. I'd be willing to help out with that, testing, coding, documenting etc.

I should point out that the debugging is all from "Start and Debug External Application" so of course there is no real "project" support in the IDE. But it automatically steps into all my code, third-party code (gtkd, orange etc.) and Phobos without any major problems.
September 18, 2013
On Wednesday, 18 September 2013 at 17:31:56 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> AFAIK Kate already has DCD-based plugin for D

https://github.com/Dav1dde/lumen

The README says that it should be able to work with anything that uses KTextEditor. (I've only tried it with Kate though)
September 19, 2013
On 19 September 2013 03:29, F i L <witte2008@gmail.com> wrote:

> Somewhat related. I use Kate (for D & web development) and occasionally KDevelop (for C/C++ stuff). I only started using these when I switched from Gnome to KDE 6 months ago, but I was very impressed and now they're my favorite editors (KDevelop can even challenge Visual Studios for C/C++ dev in many ways).
>

I was fairly impressed with kdevelop upon recent impressions last weekend.

Does it support incremental linking and edit-and-continue? (or is there ANY
other compiler+IDE out there that does?)
If it does, I'll look at it very very seriously.

September 19, 2013
On Thursday, 19 September 2013 at 01:18:42 UTC, Manu wrote:
> Does it support incremental linking and edit-and-continue? (or is there ANY
> other compiler+IDE out there that does?)
> If it does, I'll look at it very very seriously.

Those are features of linker / debugger, not IDE. Simply trying different IDE's won't change a thing here.
(I am unaware of any Linux development tool that does it)
September 19, 2013
Manu wrote:
> I was fairly impressed with kdevelop upon recent impressions last weekend.
>
> Does it support incremental linking and edit-and-continue? (or is there ANY
> other compiler+IDE out there that does?)
> If it does, I'll look at it very very seriously.

I'm not sure what you mean by "edit-and-continue".

I don't know if it does incremental linking, but I thought that sort of thing was more of a compiler/build-system feature, and IDK enough about GCC/Clang or CMake (what KDev is designed around) to know about it's features there. The only language I know for a fact has that built-in is Nimrod.

I only work on one C++ project, so I am in no way an expert on the language or it's tools. I'm also fairly new to KDevelop, so I'm not the person to question here. By "comparable to VS in many ways", I was referring to KDevelop's debugging, intellisense, code refactoring, syntax highlighting, general interface, and project/session management. All of which I've found to be roughly on-par with Visual Studios in my experience (granted I've barely used VS 2012 & 2013 is out soon).
September 20, 2013
On 20 September 2013 08:09, F i L <witte2008@gmail.com> wrote:

> Manu wrote:
>
>> I was fairly impressed with kdevelop upon recent impressions last weekend.
>>
>> Does it support incremental linking and edit-and-continue? (or is there
>> ANY
>> other compiler+IDE out there that does?)
>> If it does, I'll look at it very very seriously.
>>
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "edit-and-continue".
>

Edit-and-continue is what MS calls the obvious extension from incremental
linking where you can re-link your exe while it's running and paused in a
debugger, and then continue debugging the current process with the new exe
after it links your code changes.
it's one of visual studio's most valuable tools.

I don't know if it does incremental linking, but I thought that sort of
> thing was more of a compiler/build-system feature, and IDK enough about GCC/Clang or CMake (what KDev is designed around) to know about it's features there. The only language I know for a fact has that built-in is Nimrod.
>

It requires support from various stages in the pipeline and gui, but it's been available for a decade from MS. Surely someone else has bothered to copy it? (assuming it was invented by MS?)

I only work on one C++ project, so I am in no way an expert on the language
> or it's tools. I'm also fairly new to KDevelop, so I'm not the person to question here. By "comparable to VS in many ways", I was referring to KDevelop's debugging, intellisense, code refactoring, syntax highlighting, general interface, and project/session management. All of which I've found to be roughly on-par with Visual Studios in my experience (granted I've barely used VS 2012 & 2013 is out soon).
>

Debugging is the most important feature an IDE offers by far, and it's only half-implemented if it doesn't support edit-and-continue. Everything else looked good to me in kdevelop. I'll definitely give it a bit more time. Sadly there seems to be no push for D in kdevelop though :(

September 20, 2013
Manu wrote:
> Edit-and-continue is what MS calls the obvious extension from incremental
> linking where you can re-link your exe while it's running and paused in a
> debugger, and then continue debugging the current process with the new exe
> after it links your code changes.
> it's one of visual studio's most valuable tools.

I see, I didn't know VS was capable of that, but it doesn't sound very useful for large projects which take a lot of time to compile (which I'm sure is important to you folks at Remedy).

I figured it was something along those lines though, so I tested editing a file while stopped on a breakpoint, and then running it and it didn't work. It's possible there's some switch i needed to hit, or that it would work with Clang/LLDB, but I doubt it (don't quote me on that though, you should ask the KDE folks).

> It requires support from various stages in the pipeline and gui, but it's
> been available for a decade from MS. Surely someone else has bothered to
> copy it? (assuming it was invented by MS?)

I wouldn't know. You'll probably get a lot more information on what's available from asking the GCC, LLVM, and KDevelop IRCs.

> Debugging is the most important feature an IDE offers by far, and it's only
> half-implemented if it doesn't support edit-and-continue. Everything else
> looked good to me in kdevelop. I'll definitely give it a bit more time.
> Sadly there seems to be no push for D in kdevelop though :(

Make sure to ask someone more informed than me before you write it off, but I'm guessing this is an area Linux dev tools are lacking in compared to Windows.

In Gabe Newell's recent talk at LinuxCon, he mentioned Valve is interested in make Linux a more friendly environment for game developers. To that end, they're working on two different C/C++ debuggers (one for LLVM, I forget the other) and I'm guessing they wouldn't feel the need to do that unless they where unhappy with the current situation compared to what developers expect from Windows. Hopefully their efforts are fruitful in the near future.

I've been using Linux and FOSS tools for nearly two years now, and I'm surprised I'd never heard about KDevelope until only a few months ago. It's a great IDE with a lot of nice features (even has Sublime-style text overview) and I hope D gets more attention from the KDev/Kate teams in the future.
September 20, 2013
On Friday, 20 September 2013 at 04:53:18 UTC, F i L wrote:
> but it doesn't sound very useful for large projects ...

but it **does** sound very useful..