April 26, 2022
On Tuesday, 26 April 2022 at 18:14:20 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>
> Right, which brings me back to square one. Dub already knows how to cache stuff, but I can't leverage any of it because it was arbitrarily decided that dub would only work with D source files, and therefore it only caches D artifacts.  If I want to build HTML files from templates, for example, I couldn't leverage dub's caching ability; I have to roll my own and reinvent the square wheel.  If I want to build PNG files from data files, I'd also have to roll my own cache.  Eventually, I'd want to avoid reinventing my own cache for every artifact I want to build, so I'd look for a system that offers me that capability.  Such a system would obviously also be able to build D programs and cache them as artifacts, since building D programs would be a specific case of the more general task of building a target from sources and caching it. Which in turn means that dub has just become redundant: I might as well just use that other system for *all* my build needs, including building D programs, and it would let me do everything I need without needing to work with two different, overlapping systems (dub + other build system).
>
> That's my current line of reasoning, and why I haven't seriously invested in dub.

So, perhaps dub itself should be used as part of your more general build system to build D code only?
Perhaps, there should be some integrations of of dub with other popular tools, so such use would be less painful.
That is ofc, in case you want your code available for others to use where you work, or by public.

April 26, 2022
On Monday, 25 April 2022 at 11:18:57 UTC, bauss wrote:
> This discussion would never have happened if the project was just created with dub in mind from the beginning,

I started with dub for all raylib projects, got annoyed with the lack of multi executables per project that share several files like oh idk type definitions without the whole song a dance.

Replaced it all with 150 lines of code. Dub doesn't narrow opinions on organization dont fit everyone.

Dub bad, I should have listened to the wise adr sooner
April 26, 2022
On Tuesday, 26 April 2022 at 18:47:44 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Well, so it looks like the time is ripe to break dub out of its original limitations and extend its scope to other languages. (And other build-like tasks, in general. ;-))

Would be nice if it will use plugin based arch, so that even currently supported features could be extracted into plugins, just like gradle or maven if you're from java world, and be easy for the public to add additional custom functionality as plugins to it without messing the internals.

April 27, 2022
On 27/04/2022 7:15 AM, Alexandru Ermicioi wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 April 2022 at 18:47:44 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> Well, so it looks like the time is ripe to break dub out of its original limitations and extend its scope to other languages. (And other build-like tasks, in general. ;-))
> 
> Would be nice if it will use plugin based arch, so that even currently supported features could be extracted into plugins, just like gradle or maven if you're from java world, and be easy for the public to add additional custom functionality as plugins to it without messing the internals.

Right now shared library support is simply not at the level required to do this.

Dmd is the biggest lagger atm. But seriously export is a real design problem. I really dislike it affecting visibility when it is a linker directive.
April 26, 2022

On Tuesday, 26 April 2022 at 19:06:47 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:

>

Something I want to see is a proper artifact repository.

For non-D that should allow us to upload binaries to it, and have dub automatically download and copy it based upon the target.

I think such a service would go a long way to give a much better experience for people.

None of these approaches work, because the core problem is that the eco system is too small to sustain a secure package system detached from the rest of the world. I would never use it. Too dangerous and exploitable. One big security vulnerability that I don't want to think about.

There is no point in dealing with C packages when others do it, one should at most only maintain a thin set of additional files to cover those areas where "import C" falls short.

We are now getting dedicated languages that compile directly to LLVM IR (with claims of better code-gen than compiling to C), things are in a flux and it is increasingly expensive to roll your own.

Of course, if the goal was for D to be self-sufficient then that would be different, but that does not seem to be the strategy.

If the official strategy is to mix D with other languages then that has to be reflected in the official strategy for building the eco system.

Or change the strategy.

April 26, 2022

On 4/26/22 3:02 PM, deadalnix wrote:

>

On Tuesday, 26 April 2022 at 17:02:21 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

>

There's no requirement to use dub.

Strictly speaking, there isn't.

Practically speaking, because dub doesn't really play nice with anything else, you end having to either:
1/ Not use any 3rd party lib.
2/ Copy 3rd party libs in your source tree and redo the build.
3/ Convert to our lord and savior dub.
4/ Have dub build the 3rd party lib and pile on hacks to recover the results in your own build.

All of these option are bad, thanks to widespread dub adoption in the D ecosystem.

The solution is not to bring everyone down to your misery though. "If I can't have a good experience with what I want, nobody should" isn't the right answer.

-Steve

April 27, 2022
On 27/04/2022 7:27 AM, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> None of these approaches work, because the core problem is that the eco system is too small to sustain a secure package system detached from the rest of the world. I would never use it. Too dangerous and exploitable. One big security vulnerability that I don't want to think about.

Unless we build literally everything in D, people will continue to ship their own binaries for platforms such as Windows. So that their library/binding "just works".

But in saying that, you do raise a good point. A long term strategy may be to require only our CI to build + upload binaries. This would make it reproducible since its script based.
April 26, 2022

On Tuesday, 26 April 2022 at 19:29:31 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

>

The solution is not to bring everyone down to your misery though. "If I can't have a good experience with what I want, nobody should" isn't the right answer.

Of course not, but Dub has the position of being the official tool for building the eco system. If it wasn't then there would be no argument, I think.

If Walter is betting heavily on C-interop then that should be reflected in the official tooling. The goal should be to provide easy access to all C-packages, also the ones that are more esoteric. The only way to achieve that is to let (non D) outsiders do the hard work and then you need to do something different.

April 26, 2022
On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 07:06:50PM +0000, Alexandru Ermicioi via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 April 2022 at 18:14:20 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > 
> > Right, which brings me back to square one. Dub already knows how to cache stuff, but I can't leverage any of it because it was arbitrarily decided that dub would only work with D source files, and therefore it only caches D artifacts.  If I want to build HTML files from templates, for example, I couldn't leverage dub's caching ability; I have to roll my own and reinvent the square wheel.  If I want to build PNG files from data files, I'd also have to roll my own cache.  Eventually, I'd want to avoid reinventing my own cache for every artifact I want to build, so I'd look for a system that offers me that capability.  Such a system would obviously also be able to build D programs and cache them as artifacts, since building D programs would be a specific case of the more general task of building a target from sources and caching it.  Which in turn means that dub has just become redundant: I might as well just use that other system for *all* my build needs, including building D programs, and it would let me do everything I need without needing to work with two different, overlapping systems (dub + other build system).
> > 
> > That's my current line of reasoning, and why I haven't seriously invested in dub.
> 
> So, perhaps dub itself should be used as part of your more general build system to build D code only?

But why would I even need dub when the more general build system also handles building D code just fine?  Unless the boss dictates that I absolutely have to use dub *somewhere*, just for the sake of using dub, then it's just a redundant gear doing what other gears are already doing. Might as well economize and take it out completely.

> Perhaps, there should be some integrations of of dub with other popular tools, so such use would be less painful.

If we want more widespread adoption of dub, I would say this is absolutely essential.

> That is ofc, in case you want your code available for others to use where you work, or by public.
[...]

The problem right now is, even if I want my code to be available to others, dub may not be able to do it.

E.g., if part of my D source files is autogenerated from data files using an auxiliary utility (also written in D), then dub wouldn't even know how to build such a thing. I can call dub from my build system and it'd work, but anyone else who uses dub to download my package would not be able to use it because dub doesn't know how to build it, and that person would not know to run another build system to make it work.

To make it work, I'd have to jump through lots of hoops and write a whole bunch of extra scripts to be called from dub's "preBuildCommands", that essentially duplicates what my other build system is already doing. It's a lot of redundant bending over backwards just to work around dub's limitations.  Unless my boss is holding a gun to my head and demanding that I make it work, the chances of me putting in this effort is nil.

Dub needs to expand its horizons and break out of its own walled garden.

T

-- 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
April 26, 2022

On 4/26/22 3:41 PM, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:

>

On Tuesday, 26 April 2022 at 19:29:31 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

>

Of course not, but Dub has the position of being the official tool for building the eco system. If it wasn't then there would be no argument, I think.

If Walter is betting heavily on C-interop then that should be reflected in the official tooling. The goal should be to provide easy access to all C-packages, also the ones that are more esoteric. The only way to achieve that is to let (non D) outsiders do the hard work and then you need to do something different.

No amount of ImportC is going to encompass building all existing C projects.

Dub needs to play friendly with artifacts from other build systems. I have run into headaches with using other non-D projects also. But it doesn't have to play friendly with alternatives to building D code IMO.

But if you can all find a way to build dub projects in a way that's usable outside building with dub (e.g. dub --produce-makefile or whatnot), that's fine by me. Just don't make me change how I build my projects.

-Steve