August 15

On Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 23:50:51 UTC, Manu wrote:

>

I'm pretty sure Nick is in support of un-preview-ing it. That's just the state of it...

Given that the language maintainers rejected the DIP, how come there’s even a preview? Did they change their minds or were some changes made?

August 15
This implementation isn't the result of my DIP. Andrei's proposal was somehow different than mine, and it was approved and promptly implemented. I don't remember any more details than that (I don't really care), but I'm sure someone does! It all happened pretty quick in 2019 (to my surprise!)... you kinda had to be there :P

On Thu, 15 Aug 2024 at 18:56, IchorDev via Digitalmars-d < digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 23:50:51 UTC, Manu wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure Nick is in support of un-preview-ing it. That's just the state of it...
>
> Given that the language maintainers rejected the DIP, how come there’s even a preview? Did they change their minds or were some changes made?
>

August 15

On Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 13:12:27 UTC, Manu wrote:

>

and it was approved and promptly implemented.

The DIP wasn't approved. It wasn't finished and never even entered the draft review stage. It's a GitHub gist:
https://gist.github.com/andralex/e5405a5d773f07f73196c05f8339435a

And was implemented under the guise of:

>

Although the DIP isn't finished yet, we can try out the ideas.

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/9817

August 15
On Thu, 15 Aug 2024 at 23:37, Dennis via Digitalmars-d < digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 13:12:27 UTC, Manu wrote:
> > and it was approved and promptly implemented.
>
> The DIP wasn't approved. It wasn't finished and never even entered the draft review stage. It's a GitHub gist: https://gist.github.com/andralex/e5405a5d773f07f73196c05f8339435a
>
> And was implemented under the guise of:
>
> > Although the DIP isn't finished yet, we can try out the ideas.
>
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/9817

Haha! Nice sleuthing.
Oh well, but late for that now...

August 16

On Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 04:23:15 UTC, Manu wrote:

>

So this preview has been available for more than 5 years.
Andrei did a keynote on it, and that seemed generally well received (if not
a little tepid, because not so many people care about this).
All the code I've written in the last 5 years doesn't work without this.
I have exercised this pretty extensively in whatever flavour of code it is
that I tend to write, and never had any problem. It works like it's meant
to.
I would severely struggle to return to a D without it.

Can we un-preview this now?

Can we please remove it? It's a silent breaking change as it changes the semantics of every function that has ref parameters with the implicit or explicit understanding that it can't take rvalues. Add @universal ref. It's a pure addition and wouldn't break code. Manu and others could just search and replace ref by @universal ref and be happy. Changing ref to make it take rvalues never was a good idea.

August 17
On Sat, 17 Aug 2024, 09:36 Quirin Schroll via Digitalmars-d, < digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 04:23:15 UTC, Manu wrote:
> > So this preview has been available for more than 5 years.
> > Andrei did a keynote on it, and that seemed generally well
> > received (if not
> > a little tepid, because not so many people care about this).
> > All the code I've written in the last 5 years doesn't work
> > without this.
> > I have exercised this pretty extensively in whatever flavour of
> > code it is
> > that I tend to write, and never had any problem. It works like
> > it's meant
> > to.
> > I would severely struggle to return to a D without it.
> >
> > Can we un-preview this now?
>
> Can we please remove it? It's a silent breaking change as it changes the semantics of every function that has `ref` parameters with the implicit or explicit understanding that it can't take rvalues. Add `@universal ref`. It's a pure addition and wouldn't break code. Manu and others could just search and replace `ref` by `@universal ref` and be happy. Changing `ref` to make it take rvalues never was a good idea.
>

Remove it? What harm has it caused you?
You'll need to substantiate these claims? You're wrong on all accounts by
my experience and reckoning.

I've been using it for 5 years and all my code would fail without it,
several others at the top of this thread also said the same thing. I have
never experienced an issue or anything related to it that caused something
like "silent breakage".
I exercise the language pretty intensely, more so than most.

I think you need to present a rock solid case to invalidate half a decade of several people's work, and you'll have to do better then "I don't care for that in theory", or "the idea kind-of makes me nervous despite never having turned the flag on and having literally no experience with it one way or the other"...

>

August 17
On Saturday, 17 August 2024 at 00:11:35 UTC, Manu wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Aug 2024, 09:36 Quirin Schroll via Digitalmars-d, < digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
>> Can we please remove it? It's a silent breaking change as it changes the semantics of every function that has `ref` parameters with the implicit or explicit understanding that it can't take rvalues. Add `@universal ref`. It's a pure addition and wouldn't break code. Manu and others could just search and replace `ref` by `@universal ref` and be happy. Changing `ref` to make it take rvalues never was a good idea.
>>
>
> I think you need to present a rock solid case to invalidate half a decade of several people's work, and you'll have to do better then "I don't care for that in theory", or "the idea kind-of makes me nervous despite never having turned the flag on and having literally no experience with it one way or the other"...

Keep in mind that everyone has been using rvalue references with struct member functions forever, with very few complaints. This is what convinced me that it's fine.

-Steve
August 19

On Saturday, 17 August 2024 at 00:11:35 UTC, Manu wrote:

>

On Sat, 17 Aug 2024, 09:36 Quirin Schroll via Digitalmars-d, < digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

>

On Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 04:23:15 UTC, Manu wrote:

>

So this preview has been available for more than 5 years.
Andrei did a keynote on it, and that seemed generally well
received (if not
a little tepid, because not so many people care about this).
All the code I've written in the last 5 years doesn't work
without this.
I have exercised this pretty extensively in whatever flavour of
code it is
that I tend to write, and never had any problem. It works like
it's meant
to.
I would severely struggle to return to a D without it.

Can we un-preview this now?

Can we please remove it? It's a silent breaking change as it changes the semantics of every function that has ref parameters with the implicit or explicit understanding that it can't take rvalues. Add @universal ref. It's a pure addition and wouldn't break code. Manu and others could just search and replace ref by @universal ref and be happy. Changing ref to make it take rvalues never was a good idea.

Remove it? What harm has it caused you?

This isn’t a criminal court where I have to prove having suffered harm to myself to have standing.

As a preview, it requires opting-in. Not many did, I presume.

>

You'll need to substantiate these claims? You're wrong on all accounts by
my experience and reckoning.

As you write it, your experience is with writing code with the preview flag in mind. That means the implementation probably has no obvious major bugs.

>

I've been using it for 5 years and all my code would fail without it,
several others at the top of this thread also said the same thing. I have
never experienced an issue or anything related to it that caused something
like "silent breakage".
I exercise the language pretty intensely, more so than most.

Some function calls change from being invalid to being valid. Normally, breakage of some __traits(compiles) or is(typeof()) isn’t considered relevant breakage, but if a function can be called using an rvalue, some introspection code using is(typeof(f(rvalueOf!T))) to test something will make a wrong (or at least: unexpected) decision.

My sense is that a lot of D code was written with the (implicit) assumption in mind that ref only binds lvalues.

You don’t have any recourse for people who rely on that. They can’t tag the ref as lvalue-only. And while overloading with a @disabled pass-by-copy version is theoretically an option, there can can be issues with that, too, as e.g. an overloaded function can’t have its address taken as easily.

I’m giving you that in @safe code, probably some people get compile errors that are easy to fix. In @system code, however, it could introduce weird bugs, and it is hard to say how likely that is.

>

I think you need to present a rock solid case to invalidate half a decade of several people's work, and you'll have to do better then "I don't care for that in theory", or "the idea kind-of makes me nervous despite never having turned the flag on and having literally no experience with it one way or the other"...

I think you need a rock solid argument for changing behavior of a widely-used language construct over an alternative that is a pure addition.

August 20

On Monday, 19 August 2024 at 12:58:15 UTC, Quirin Schroll wrote:

> >

I think you need a rock solid argument for changing behavior of a widely-used language construct over an alternative that is a pure addition.

Do you have any code or know of any code that actually relies on ref parameters being lvalues? Also, if you really want lvalues just make your parameter a pointer or something.

August 20

On Monday, 19 August 2024 at 12:58:15 UTC, Quirin Schroll wrote:

>

Just for reference, I have -preview=rvaluerefparam in all my build scripts from day one it was introduced.

Juraj