November 08, 2008
On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 11:38 PM, Tim M <a@b.com> wrote:
> I tried 1.036 and had the same problem. I'm using the offsetof and sizeof in a few constants which I've defined at the beginning of the file so I tried moving to the end of the file and it is no longer in error. I read somewhere that you don't have to forward declare everything in D like you do in C and also dmd wasn't reporting any undefined type errors,  just that the property didn't exist on it. Possible a bug?

Oh, yeah, that'll do it.  It's definitely a bug.  Rather, it's an entire class of bugs.  The thing is resolving forward references can be kind of tricky.  But it's pretty much inexcusable at this point for the compiler not to be able to do so.  Walter's view is that fixing forward reference bugs would not give enough benefit to be worth it. Pshuh.  My view is that Walter only cares about the newest, coolest features that D has that no other language does.  And as soon as one thing gets implemented, it's onto the next.  Nothing is ever polished, and old bugs stagnate.  Sigh.  It's hard to build a castle on sandy footing.
1 2
Next ›   Last »