November 09, 2018
On Friday, 9 November 2018 at 12:19:43 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
> On Friday, 9 November 2018 at 03:47:09 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> On Friday, 9 November 2018 at 02:47:38 UTC, bennygui wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> Yes, LDC has the -linker=gold flag, that you can use to pass a different linker to your C compiler. Try it with lld, it's the fastest of all the linkers.
>
> lld mostly produces crashing binaries for me on Linux.

I find that hard to believe, considering Android is switching to it:

"LLD is now available for testing. AOSP is in the process of switching to using LLD by default and the NDK will follow (timeline unknown). Test LLD in your app by passing -fuse-ld=lld when linking."
https://github.com/android-ndk/ndk/wiki/Changelog-r18

It may still have bugs though, maybe you can report your problems.

LDC comes with lld built in, available through the `-link-internally` flag that kinke added.
November 09, 2018
On Friday, 9 November 2018 at 13:28:42 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Friday, 9 November 2018 at 12:19:43 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
>> On Friday, 9 November 2018 at 03:47:09 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>> On Friday, 9 November 2018 at 02:47:38 UTC, bennygui wrote:
>>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Yes, LDC has the -linker=gold flag, that you can use to pass a different linker to your C compiler. Try it with lld, it's the fastest of all the linkers.
>>
>> lld mostly produces crashing binaries for me on Linux.
>
> I find that hard to believe, considering Android is switching to it:

To the extent of my knowledge, Android doesn't link D binaries. It may well work for C and C++.

I tried symlinking /usr/bin/ld to /usr/bin/ld.lld, and... it seems to work now. The last time I tried (6 to 12 months ago? I don't remember) it produced crashing binaries most of the time for D code.

I guess I should switch for good now then!

> "LLD is now available for testing. AOSP is in the process of switching to using LLD by default and the NDK will follow (timeline unknown). Test LLD in your app by passing -fuse-ld=lld when linking."
> https://github.com/android-ndk/ndk/wiki/Changelog-r18
>
> It may still have bugs though, maybe you can report your problems.
>
> LDC comes with lld built in, available through the `-link-internally` flag that kinke added.

Only in the unreleased 1.13.0 version, and using it in the beta yields this:

% ldc2 -link-internally foo.d
lld: error: unknown argument: --no-warn-search-mismatch
lld: error: unable to find library -lrt
lld: error: unable to find library -ldl
lld: error: unable to find library -lpthread
lld: error: unable to find library -lm

Ok, let's look in /usr/lib explicitly then (which shouldn't be needed):

% ldc2 -link-internally -L-L/usr/lib foo.d
lld: error: unknown argument: --no-warn-search-mismatch

Not ready for production, then.
November 09, 2018
On Friday, 9 November 2018 at 15:08:19 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
> On Friday, 9 November 2018 at 13:28:42 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> On Friday, 9 November 2018 at 12:19:43 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
>>> On Friday, 9 November 2018 at 03:47:09 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>>> [...]
>>>
>>> lld mostly produces crashing binaries for me on Linux.
>>
>> I find that hard to believe, considering Android is switching to it:
>
> To the extent of my knowledge, Android doesn't link D binaries. It may well work for C and C++.
>
> I tried symlinking /usr/bin/ld to /usr/bin/ld.lld, and... it seems to work now. The last time I tried (6 to 12 months ago? I don't remember) it produced crashing binaries most of the time for D code.
>
> I guess I should switch for good now then!

I spoke too soon. The reggae unit tests crash if linked with lld. Every other project I tried worked though.

November 09, 2018
On Friday, 9 November 2018 at 15:08:19 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
> On Friday, 9 November 2018 at 13:28:42 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> On Friday, 9 November 2018 at 12:19:43 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
>>> On Friday, 9 November 2018 at 03:47:09 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>>> On Friday, 9 November 2018 at 02:47:38 UTC, bennygui wrote:
>>>>> [...]
>>>>
>>>> Yes, LDC has the -linker=gold flag, that you can use to pass a different linker to your C compiler. Try it with lld, it's the fastest of all the linkers.
>>>
>>> lld mostly produces crashing binaries for me on Linux.
>>
>> I find that hard to believe, considering Android is switching to it:
>
> To the extent of my knowledge, Android doesn't link D binaries. It may well work for C and C++.

OK, your statement made no reference to D, so I thought you were talking generally.

> I tried symlinking /usr/bin/ld to /usr/bin/ld.lld, and... it seems to work now. The last time I tried (6 to 12 months ago? I don't remember) it produced crashing binaries most of the time for D code.
>
> I guess I should switch for good now then!

Maybe you were using an old or buggy version of lld back then. I've just been trying lld for Android and I was stunned at how fast it ran, as I've been stuck with bfd for Android for some time now. After making some druntime tweaks so I can use any linker on Android, I got the exact same test results when running the dmd testsuite natively on Android/AArch64 with bfd, gold, and lld.

>> "LLD is now available for testing. AOSP is in the process of switching to using LLD by default and the NDK will follow (timeline unknown). Test LLD in your app by passing -fuse-ld=lld when linking."
>> https://github.com/android-ndk/ndk/wiki/Changelog-r18
>>
>> It may still have bugs though, maybe you can report your problems.
>>
>> LDC comes with lld built in, available through the `-link-internally` flag that kinke added.
>
> Only in the unreleased 1.13.0 version, and using it in the beta

No, it was added with 1.3.0, more than a year ago:

https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/releases/tag/v1.3.0

> yields this:
>
> % ldc2 -link-internally foo.d
> lld: error: unknown argument: --no-warn-search-mismatch
> lld: error: unable to find library -lrt
> lld: error: unable to find library -ldl
> lld: error: unable to find library -lpthread
> lld: error: unable to find library -lm
>
> Ok, let's look in /usr/lib explicitly then (which shouldn't be needed):
>
> % ldc2 -link-internally -L-L/usr/lib foo.d
> lld: error: unknown argument: --no-warn-search-mismatch
>
> Not ready for production, then.

No, the issue is that ldc pre-configuring it for every toolchain and distro would be a giant PITA:

https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/issues/2717

The way dmd and ldc work now is that they expect there to be a C compiler installed, and simply invoke the local C compiler to link everything properly, assuming rightly that it will pass all the right flags and libc object files to its linker.

`-link-internally` cannot possibly do that- we'd have to maintain a database of all possible toolchain configurations out there- so it depends on _you_ configuring it for your environment if you want to use it. Once you do, it's just a built-in lld, it should work just as lld does.

I plan on moving the native packages for the Termux app on Android to use -link-internally by default (they currently default to clang/bfd), since it should be straightforward to add the necessary linker flags and logic for that limited environment. Maybe we could do that for Mac and even Windows someday too, but I can't imagine we'll ever have an official ldc that works for every linux distro! ;)
November 09, 2018
On Fri, Nov 09, 2018 at 12:49:07PM +0000, kinke via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 9 November 2018 at 03:41:18 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > You just need to pass the `-L-fuse-ld=gold` flag to your dmd invocation, or `-fuse-ld=gold` for LDC.
> 
> As Joakim said, the linker switch for LDC is `-linker=gold`, not `-fuse-ld` (that's the gcc/clang switch). If you guys read the release notes, you'd have seen that LDC v1.13 newly defaults to the gold linker on Linux (due to various issues with older bfd versions), which is apparently the sole reason the OP saw much better performance with LDC.

Ah, I guess I got confused because when cross-compiling for Android, I'm actually using the NDK clang backend for linking, even though the D part is compiled by LDC.  Apologies.

T

-- 
I'm still trying to find a pun for "punishment"...
November 10, 2018
On Friday, 9 November 2018 at 03:47:09 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Friday, 9 November 2018 at 02:47:38 UTC, bennygui wrote:
>>
>> But I don't want to switch my whole system to use gold, is there a way to configure dub or dmd to use usr/bin/ld.gold instead of /usr/bin/ld ?
>>

For the record, I did not find a way to configure dub. Adding

"dflags-dmd": ["-L-fuse-ld=gold"]

to dub.json did not work.

But what did work was modifying dmd.conf to add -L-fuse-ld=gold at the end of DFLAGS=... in the [Environment64] section.
November 10, 2018
On Friday, 9 November 2018 at 15:30:24 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> I plan on moving the native packages for the Termux app on Android to use -link-internally by default (they currently default to clang/bfd), since it should be straightforward to add the necessary linker flags and logic for that limited environment. Maybe we could do that for Mac and even Windows someday too, but I can't imagine we'll ever have an official ldc that works for every linux distro! ;)

Can't Debian-based systems be covered? It may make sense to have a config section for internal linker arguments, so that if it doesn't work, cc can still be used.
November 10, 2018
On Saturday, 10 November 2018 at 13:38:09 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> On Friday, 9 November 2018 at 15:30:24 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> I plan on moving the native packages for the Termux app on Android to use -link-internally by default (they currently default to clang/bfd), since it should be straightforward to add the necessary linker flags and logic for that limited environment. Maybe we could do that for Mac and even Windows someday too, but I can't imagine we'll ever have an official ldc that works for every linux distro! ;)
>
> Can't Debian-based systems be covered?

Why, because it's the most common distro? I've never really used Debian much- I've long preferred and used Arch- but I just looked up what would be needed on Ubuntu 18.04.

Building a simple sample D file with the latest ldc 1.3 beta shows the following linker command invoked by the system compiler, gcc:

/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/7/collect2 -plugin /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/7/liblto_plugin.so -plugin-opt=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/7/lto-wrapper -plugin-opt=-fresolution=/tmp/ccd77bzy.res -plugin-opt=-pass-through=-lgcc -plugin-opt=-pass-through=-lgcc_s -plugin-opt=-pass-through=-lc -plugin-opt=-pass-through=-lgcc -plugin-opt=-pass-through=-lgcc_s --sysroot=/ --build-id --eh-frame-hdr -m elf_x86_64 --hash-style=gnu --as-needed -dynamic-linker /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 -pie -z now -fuse-ld=gold -z relro -o sieve /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/7/../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/Scrt1.o /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/7/../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/crti.o /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/7/crtbeginS.o -L/home/joakim/ldc2-1.13.0-beta1-linux-x86_64/bin/../lib -L/home/joakim/ldc2-1.13.0-beta1-linux-x86_64/bin/../lib32 -L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/7 -L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/7/../../../x86_64-linux-gnu -L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/7/../../../../lib -L/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -L/lib/../lib -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -L/usr/lib/../lib -L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/7/../../.. sieve.o --no-warn-search-mismatch -lphobos2-ldc -ldruntime-ldc --gc-sections -lrt -ldl -lpthread -lm -lgcc --push-state --as-needed -lgcc_s --pop-state -lc -lgcc --push-state --as-needed -lgcc_s --pop-state /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/7/crtendS.o /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/7/../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/crtn.o

Some of that isn't strictly necessary, but you will likely need those libc files that it automatically adds, which dpkg tells me come in the libc6-dev and libgcc-7-dev packages.

OK, but how do we know to look in those packages' paths without the pre-configured system gcc telling us? Try running `apt search libc`: you'll come up with a ton of alternative packages, with many other paths and libc files that could've been used.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done to some extent, but it seems a pain even on Ubuntu alone.

> It may make sense to have a config section for internal linker arguments, so that if it doesn't work, cc can still be used.

If you mean a config file, I think you could use ldc's ldc2.conf for that. And yeah, you could have ldc switch back and forth between a config for its internal lld and the external C compiler.

This all depends on someone putting in the work to remove that current dependency on the C compiler on various platforms. I'll be looking into it for the ldc package on Termux for Android, you're free to do the same on any other platform.
November 10, 2018
On Saturday, 10 November 2018 at 15:15:30 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> Why, because it's the most common distro? I've never really used Debian much- I've long preferred and used Arch

AFAIK, Arch updates its ldc package often.

> OK, but how do we know to look in those packages' paths without the pre-configured system gcc telling us? Try running `apt search libc`: you'll come up with a ton of alternative packages, with many other paths and libc files that could've been used.

Only default. (glibc?)
But yeah, maintaining them might be difficult for gcc updates.

>> It may make sense to have a config section for internal linker arguments, so that if it doesn't work, cc can still be used.
>
> If you mean a config file, I think you could use ldc's ldc2.conf for that. And yeah, you could have ldc switch back and forth between a config for its internal lld and the external C compiler.
>
> This all depends on someone putting in the work to remove that current dependency on the C compiler on various platforms. I'll be looking into it for the ldc package on Termux for Android, you're free to do the same on any other platform.

I mean, cc would be the default, and internal linker arguments would be used only if internal linker was requested.
November 10, 2018
BTW what paths you get on Arch?