October 19, 2016
On Wednesday, 19 October 2016 at 17:54:15 UTC, Namespace wrote:
> That's more ore less the magic behind auto ref.

Thanks. Failed to find the related bit in the spec.
October 19, 2016
On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 18:18:43 Namespace via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, 19 October 2016 at 18:15:25 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
>
> wrote:
> > Which then causes the problem that it becomes much less clear whether ref is supposed to be modifying its argument or is just trying to avoid copying it - though good documentation can mitigate that problem.
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> As long as it would be marked with scope (or some similar attribute) so that it cannot escape, it would be fine, wouldn't it?

That's an orthogonal issue. My point is that normally, a parameter is a ref parameter, because the function is going to use that value and potentially mutate it in the process, and you want the original variable that was passed in to be mutated rather than for the function to be operating on a copy. However, once you can pass rvalues to ref parameters, there will likely be a sharp increase in the number of ref parameters whose entire purpose in being ref is to avoid a copy rather than because the original variable is supposed to be mutated. That increases the risk of accidentally mutating function arguments as well as making it far less obvious when a function is supposed to be mutating its argument. C++ solved that problem by making it so that only const ref parameters could take rvalues, whereas we would be totally open to it if non-const ref parameters accepted rvalues.

Whether the argument escapes the function doesn't matter for any of that. There may be good reasons why you don't want it to, in which case, if scope is implemented to prevent ref parameters from escaping, scope will give you that. But just because you want to mutate the ref argument doesn't necessarily mean that you care about it escaping. You _do_ care if the purpose is simply to avoid a copy, because you don't want the rvalue to escape, since that would be an @safety issue, and so it would make sense to require scope in that case, but at best, that means that the lack of scope indicates that the ref argument is supposed to be mutated as opposed to simply avoid a copy, whereas scope ref says nothing about whether the ref argument is supposed to be mutated or simply avoid a copy - just that whatever the argument is, it should no escape.

So, arguably, it makes more sense to have a new attribute that makes it specifically so that a ref accepts rvalues (e.g. @rvalue ref) rather than making ref in general accept rvalues (the new attribute could even imply scope, since it would be required), but that would mean adding yet another attribute, and we arguably have too many of those already.

- Jonathan M Davis

October 19, 2016
Am Wed, 19 Oct 2016 11:29:50 +0200
schrieb Timon Gehr <timon.gehr@gmx.ch>:

> Yes, the lack of rvalue references can be annoying but 'const' should be orthogonal to any implemented solution.
> 
> There should be a way to pass rvalues by reference that are not prevented from being mutated, and it should be the same way as for const references. (For example, one possible approach is to just allow rvalues to bind to all 'ref' parameters (as is done for the implicit 'this' reference), alternatively there could be some additional "allow rvalues here" annotation that does not influence mutability.)

Ok, got ya now!

-- 
Marco

October 19, 2016
On Wednesday, 19 October 2016 at 19:19:35 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> That's an orthogonal issue. My point is that normally, a parameter is a ref parameter, because the function is going to use that value and potentially mutate it in the process, and you want the original variable that was passed in to be mutated rather than for the function to be operating on a copy. However, once you can pass rvalues to ref parameters, there will likely be a sharp increase in the number of ref parameters whose entire purpose in being ref is to avoid a copy rather than because the original variable is supposed to be mutated. That increases the risk of accidentally mutating function arguments as well as making it far less obvious when a function is supposed to be mutating its argument. C++ solved that problem by making it so that only const ref parameters could take rvalues, whereas we would be totally open to it if non-const ref parameters accepted rvalues.
>
> Whether the argument escapes the function doesn't matter for any of that. There may be good reasons why you don't want it to, in which case, if scope is implemented to prevent ref parameters from escaping, scope will give you that. But just because you want to mutate the ref argument doesn't necessarily mean that you care about it escaping. You _do_ care if the purpose is simply to avoid a copy, because you don't want the rvalue to escape, since that would be an @safety issue, and so it would make sense to require scope in that case, but at best, that means that the lack of scope indicates that the ref argument is supposed to be mutated as opposed to simply avoid a copy, whereas scope ref says nothing about whether the ref argument is supposed to be mutated or simply avoid a copy - just that whatever the argument is, it should no escape.

Ok, I understand what you mean, but as long as the argument cannot escape I have a different opinion.

> So, arguably, it makes more sense to have a new attribute that makes it specifically so that a ref accepts rvalues (e.g. @rvalue ref) rather than making ref in general accept rvalues (the new attribute could even imply scope, since it would be required), but that would mean adding yet another attribute, and we arguably have too many of those already.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Yes, we have way to many. So it would make more sense if we add helper/wrappers into phobos (at least for the time being) and refer to them.
My byRef "hack" or even my last experiment below could lower the dissatisfaction.

----
struct Vector2f
{
    float x, y;
}

void one(ref const Vector2f v)
{
    writeln(v.x, '|', v.y);
}

void two(ref const Vector2f source, ref const Vector2f target)
{
    writefln("From (%.2f|%.2f) to (%.2f|%.2f)", source.x, source.y, target.x, target.y);
}

void invoke(alias f, V...)(V vs)
{
	f(vs);
}

void invoke(F, V...)(F f, V vs)
{
	f(vs);
}

invoke!one(Vector2f(10, 20));
invoke!two(Vector2f(1, 2), Vector2f(3, 4));

invoke(&one, Vector2f(10, 20));
invoke(&two, Vector2f(1, 2), Vector2f(3, 4));
----

October 20, 2016
On 20 October 2016 at 01:38, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d < digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 07:55:19 Andrei Alexandrescu via
> Digitalmars-d
> wrote:
> > This was C++'s big un' that led to many complications. If the overload weren't ambiguous, a large part of rvalue references would have been unneeded. (Universal references would still have been necessary for perfect forwarding, but that's not the bulk.)
> >
> > In order to avoid such issues, we steered clear off binding rvalues to ref parameters in the D language. As I mentioned to Ethan, I do agree a careful definition may be able to avoid the fallout that happened in C++. It would be a fair amount of work.
>
> The other big problem is that D's const is so much more restrictive than C++'s that even if const ref accepted rvalues, a large portion of the time, it would be too restrictive to be useful.
>

I've never seen a piece of code in C++ that receives const& that isn't
strictly read-only.
I can't imagine from experience how D's const would change the usefulness
of the pattern.

October 20, 2016
On 20 October 2016 at 04:18, Namespace via Digitalmars-d < digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 19 October 2016 at 18:15:25 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>
>> Which then causes the problem that it becomes much less clear whether ref is supposed to be modifying its argument or is just trying to avoid copying it - though good documentation can mitigate that problem.
>>
>> - Jonathan M Davis
>>
>
> As long as it would be marked with scope (or some similar attribute) so that it cannot escape, it would be fine, wouldn't it?
>

Right, I was arguing this for years. Using 'scope' to make the concept
@safe.
It seemed that it in the past the key reason for rejecting it was because
it was unsafe to pass an rvalue-temp to a function where it's unknown if
the function can cause it to outlive the function call... scope was the
obvious resolution to that (along with a lot of other issues related to
safety).

October 19, 2016
On 10/19/2016 5:26 PM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Right, I was arguing this for years. Using 'scope' to make the concept @safe.
> It seemed that it in the past the key reason for rejecting it was because it was
> unsafe to pass an rvalue-temp to a function where it's unknown if the function
> can cause it to outlive the function call... scope was the obvious resolution to
> that (along with a lot of other issues related to safety).

C++ has had two goes at rvalue references. Any serious proposal for that for D needs to include an analysis of what went right/wrong with the C++ one, and how the D one gets it right.

The only way to move this forward is to write a DIP. Having the various bits of information spread out over various posts for months (years?) is never going to work.
October 19, 2016
On Thursday, October 20, 2016 10:23:35 Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 20 October 2016 at 01:38, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d <
>
> digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 07:55:19 Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d
> >
> > wrote:
> > > This was C++'s big un' that led to many complications. If the overload weren't ambiguous, a large part of rvalue references would have been unneeded. (Universal references would still have been necessary for perfect forwarding, but that's not the bulk.)
> > >
> > > In order to avoid such issues, we steered clear off binding rvalues to ref parameters in the D language. As I mentioned to Ethan, I do agree a careful definition may be able to avoid the fallout that happened in C++. It would be a fair amount of work.
> >
> > The other big problem is that D's const is so much more restrictive than
> > C++'s that even if const ref accepted rvalues, a large portion of the
> > time,
> > it would be too restrictive to be useful.
>
> I've never seen a piece of code in C++ that receives const& that isn't
> strictly read-only.
> I can't imagine from experience how D's const would change the usefulness
> of the pattern.

The transitivity of const shoot stuff in the foot pretty thoroughly in a number of cases. A prime example would be ranges, because they have to be mutated to be iterated over. If the function actually took a range directly, you wouldn't bother with const ref, but it could be an object that contains a range, and because you can't normally get a tail-const range from a const range (aside from dynamic arrays), it can become quite difficult to actually iterate over the range. e.g.

auto foo(ref const(Bar) bar)
{
    auto range = bar.getSomeRange();
}

Because getSomeRange would have to be const (or inout) in order to be called, the return type is going to have be const if there are any indirections in it. And if it's const, and it's a range, it's useless.

If this were C++, const wouldn't be transitive, so it would be trivial to get an iterator or range which wasn't const and did not violate const or attempt to work around it in any way and thus could be iterated. But in D, const is far too restrictive for that to work.

This is the kind of problem that quickly makes you start wondering whether it's even worth trying to use const in D at all.

- Jonathan M Davis

October 20, 2016
On 20 October 2016 at 11:04, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d < digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

> On 10/19/2016 5:26 PM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>
>> Right, I was arguing this for years. Using 'scope' to make the concept
>> @safe.
>> It seemed that it in the past the key reason for rejecting it was because
>> it was
>> unsafe to pass an rvalue-temp to a function where it's unknown if the
>> function
>> can cause it to outlive the function call... scope was the obvious
>> resolution to
>> that (along with a lot of other issues related to safety).
>>
>
> C++ has had two goes at rvalue references. Any serious proposal for that for D needs to include an analysis of what went right/wrong with the C++ one, and how the D one gets it right.
>

We're not talking about rvalue references...? I'm not sure where this conversation got confused.

The only way to move this forward is to write a DIP. Having the various
> bits of information spread out over various posts for months (years?) is
> never going to work.
>

Like, 6 or 7 years ;) .. But I think we're talking about different things at this point.

October 19, 2016
On 10/19/16 9:04 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> The only way to move this forward is to write a DIP.

I'd be willing to shepherd a DIP if a couple of people want to get serious about it. -- Andrei