Phil Deets
Dec 15, 2009
Kagamin
Dec 17, 2009
Phil Deets
Dec 17, 2009
Phil Deets
December 15, 2009
(D 2.033) I'm porting a DLL to D. The DLL depends on a static library, but when I put the library name on the command-line, dmd does not output any DLL file. If I remove the library name from the command-line, dmd gives linker errors and outputs an invalid DLL. How do I make a DLL with a static library dependency?
December 15, 2009
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 00:56:12 -0500, Phil Deets <pjdeets2@gmail.com> wrote:

> (D 2.033) I'm porting a DLL to D. The DLL depends on a static library, but when I put the library name on the command-line, dmd does not output any DLL file. If I remove the library name from the command-line, dmd gives linker errors and outputs an invalid DLL. How do I make a DLL with a static library dependency?

Actually, it depends on another DLL. The static library I need to link to is an import library for that DLL. I'll work on loading that DLL without the .lib file using the Windows API while I wait for an answer here.
December 15, 2009
Phil Deets schrieb:
> Actually, it depends on another DLL. The static library I need to link to is an import library for that DLL. I'll work on loading that DLL without the .lib file using the Windows API while I wait for an answer here.

I'm not sure if the Windows loader does such chained DLL loading.
But you can always use LoadLibrary & GetProcAddress for that purpose.
December 15, 2009
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 07:06:49 -0500, Trass3r <mrmocool@gmx.de> wrote:

> Phil Deets schrieb:
>> Actually, it depends on another DLL. The static library I need to link to is an import library for that DLL. I'll work on loading that DLL without the .lib file using the Windows API while I wait for an answer here.
>
> I'm not sure if the Windows loader does such chained DLL loading.
> But you can always use LoadLibrary & GetProcAddress for that purpose.

It worked fine in C++.
December 15, 2009
Trass3r Wrote:

> I'm not sure if the Windows loader does such chained DLL loading. But you can always use LoadLibrary & GetProcAddress for that purpose.

Well... dll that can't call any function from kernel32.dll is practically useless.
December 17, 2009
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 00:56:12 -0500, Phil Deets <pjdeets2@gmail.com> wrote:

> (D 2.033) I'm porting a DLL to D. The DLL depends on a static library, but when I put the library name on the command-line, dmd does not output any DLL file. If I remove the library name from the command-line, dmd gives linker errors and outputs an invalid DLL. How do I make a DLL with a static library dependency?

(now using D 2.037) I used optlink separately from dmd to see whether the problem is in dmd or optlink. It turns out to be an optlink issue. Everything works fine when I link in phobos.lib and kernel32.lib, but as soon as I link in lua51.lib there is no dll output. Could this be because I compiled lua51.dll/.lib with Visual Studio? I'll try compiling Lua with dmc.
December 17, 2009
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 08:32:41 -0500, Phil Deets <pjdeets2@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 00:56:12 -0500, Phil Deets <pjdeets2@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> (D 2.033) I'm porting a DLL to D. The DLL depends on a static library, but when I put the library name on the command-line, dmd does not output any DLL file. If I remove the library name from the command-line, dmd gives linker errors and outputs an invalid DLL. How do I make a DLL with a static library dependency?
>
> (now using D 2.037) I used optlink separately from dmd to see whether the problem is in dmd or optlink. It turns out to be an optlink issue. Everything works fine when I link in phobos.lib and kernel32.lib, but as soon as I link in lua51.lib there is no dll output. Could this be because I compiled lua51.dll/.lib with Visual Studio? I'll try compiling Lua with dmc.

I fixed the problem by using implib on lua51.dll to generate a new .lib file. The DLL isn't working properly, but this is likely a different issue; so I'll open a new thread for that if necessary.