November 29, 2004
In article <codgi9$l4l$2@digitaldaemon.com>, Matthew says...
>
>
>> In Canada we have Chapters:
>>
>> it's on 6th for "C++" :)
>>
>>
>http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/default.asp?Lang=en&Section=books&Ntt=%22C%2B%2B%22&Submit_Search.x=10&Submit_Search.y=7
>
>Cool!

It's great, now I can proudly say: "My worst enemy wrote that book!"

:)

Ant

November 30, 2004
Ant wrote:
> In article <codgi9$l4l$2@digitaldaemon.com>, Matthew says...
> 
>>
>>>In Canada we have Chapters:
>>>
>>>it's on 6th for "C++" :)
>>>
>>>
>>
>>http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/default.asp?Lang=en&Section=books&Ntt=%22C%2B%2B%22&Submit_Search.x=10&Submit_Search.y=7
>>
>>Cool!
> 
> 
> It's great, now I can proudly say: "My worst enemy wrote that book!"
> 
> :)
> 
> Ant
> 
> 

Ha ha, strange sense of humor, Ant.  Thank goodness for the smiley. :-)
November 30, 2004
"Matthew" <admin@stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> wrote in message news:codsgb$12rp$1@digitaldaemon.com...
>
> "Phill" <phill@pacific.net.au> wrote in message news:codicn$nj1$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> > > Suggest away. At worst we can discount it, in which case no-one's
> lost
> > > anything.
> > I was thinking that it would be good if you had
> > a section in your book about DUI(which is great to
> > use) and some examples
> > of using it. But then again maybe you would be upsetting
> > other GUI programmers.
>
> We're going to do our best to cover popular (at the time of writing) libs, but it'll be just in an Appendix, rather than focusing on one or another library in the contents proper. The book's more focused as a D language primer than as a library guide.
>
> Please feel free to send me any other ideas, though.
>
> Cheers
>
> Matthew

Thats right, I remember you mentioning that a few months
ago.
Sounds like a better idea!

Phill.

December 01, 2004
Truly bizarre stuff!

As it happens, I've had Ant's various email accounts on my "Blocked Senders" list for well over a year now, and have remained blissfully unaware of whatever such nonsense as he's been propagating in that period. He's obviously changed email recently, hence my seeing the "it's on 6th ..." post. I also wondered if perhaps _he'd_ changed as well (as his account), so I sent what I took to be a +ve/friendly response. His response - which must've been on an already blacklisted account, as I've only seen your response to it - indicates that I was wrong, so I guess I should add the latest account to the Blocked Senders list and ensure I immediately do so with any future account changes, rather than be sucked into wasting my time in reading any more of his pointless and malmotivated clap-trap.

Alas, it seems that the D newsgroups have not improved much in the few months I've been too busy to read/contribute. Antialias, I feel your pain. :-(

Fingers crossed for the future :-)

And now on to better things ...

Matthew

P.S. Ant, I assume a total lack of brain-power may not be the prime cause of your problems, and further entertain the possibility that you can figure out that you'll be wasting your breath by answering this post because I won't ever see it unless you are able to manouvre someone else into answering it. Still I could be wrong ... go ahead and waste away.

"John Reimer" <brk_6502@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:cogu7m$2pio$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> Ant wrote:
> > In article <codgi9$l4l$2@digitaldaemon.com>, Matthew says...
> >
> >>
> >>>In Canada we have Chapters:
> >>>
> >>>it's on 6th for "C++" :)
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
>
>>http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/default.asp?Lang=en&Section=books&Ntt=%2
2C%2B%2B%22&Submit_Search.x=10&Submit_Search.y=7
> >>
> >>Cool!
> >
> >
> > It's great, now I can proudly say: "My worst enemy wrote that book!"
> >
> > :)
> >
> > Ant
> >
> >
>
>
> Ha ha, strange sense of humor, Ant.  Thank goodness for the smiley.
:-)

December 01, 2004
On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:03:19 +1100, Matthew wrote:

> Matthew
> 
> P.S. Ant, I assume a total lack of brain-power may not be the prime cause of your problems, and further entertain the possibility that you can figure out that you'll be wasting your breath by answering this post because I won't ever see it unless you are able to manouvre someone else into answering it. Still I could be wrong ... go ahead and waste away.
> 

interesting to know how people feels...
well, can't do a thing about it...

Ant

December 01, 2004
Oops!  I had no idea! :-(

- John

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:03:19 +1100, Matthew wrote:

> Truly bizarre stuff!
> 
> As it happens, I've had Ant's various email accounts on my "Blocked Senders" list for well over a year now, and have remained blissfully unaware of whatever such nonsense as he's been propagating in that period. He's obviously changed email recently, hence my seeing the "it's on 6th ..." post. I also wondered if perhaps _he'd_ changed as well (as his account), so I sent what I took to be a +ve/friendly response. His response - which must've been on an already blacklisted account, as I've only seen your response to it - indicates that I was wrong, so I guess I should add the latest account to the Blocked Senders list and ensure I immediately do so with any future account changes, rather than be sucked into wasting my time in reading any more of his pointless and malmotivated clap-trap.
> 
> Alas, it seems that the D newsgroups have not improved much in the few months I've been too busy to read/contribute. Antialias, I feel your pain. :-(
> 
> Fingers crossed for the future :-)
> 
> And now on to better things ...
> 
> Matthew
> 
> P.S. Ant, I assume a total lack of brain-power may not be the prime cause of your problems, and further entertain the possibility that you can figure out that you'll be wasting your breath by answering this post because I won't ever see it unless you are able to manouvre someone else into answering it. Still I could be wrong ... go ahead and waste away.
> 
> "John Reimer" <brk_6502@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:cogu7m$2pio$1@digitaldaemon.com...
>> Ant wrote:
>> > In article <codgi9$l4l$2@digitaldaemon.com>, Matthew says...
>> >
>> >>
>> >>>In Canada we have Chapters:
>> >>>
>> >>>it's on 6th for "C++" :)
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>
>>
>>>http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/default.asp?Lang=en&Section=books&Ntt=%2
> 2C%2B%2B%22&Submit_Search.x=10&Submit_Search.y=7
>> >>
>> >>Cool!
>> >
>> >
>> > It's great, now I can proudly say: "My worst enemy wrote that book!"
>> >
>> > :)
>> >
>> > Ant
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>> Ha ha, strange sense of humor, Ant.  Thank goodness for the smiley.
> :-)

December 01, 2004
Hmm, I find both your and Ant's opinions very valuable (and I've never read anything I would call nonsense from neither of you), coming from completely different directions. Well, I hope noone ever blacklist me :)

Lars Ivar Igesund

PS I plan to buy your book as soon as I can afford it (490 NOK for a soft cover version?! Price found at www.gnist.no)

Matthew wrote:
> Truly bizarre stuff!
> 
> As it happens, I've had Ant's various email accounts on my "Blocked
> Senders" list for well over a year now, and have remained blissfully
> unaware of whatever such nonsense as he's been propagating in that
> period. He's obviously changed email recently, hence my seeing the "it's
> on 6th ..." post. I also wondered if perhaps _he'd_ changed as well (as
> his account), so I sent what I took to be a +ve/friendly response. His
> response - which must've been on an already blacklisted account, as I've
> only seen your response to it - indicates that I was wrong, so I guess I
> should add the latest account to the Blocked Senders list and ensure I
> immediately do so with any future account changes, rather than be sucked
> into wasting my time in reading any more of his pointless and
> malmotivated clap-trap.
> 
> Alas, it seems that the D newsgroups have not improved much in the few
> months I've been too busy to read/contribute. Antialias, I feel your
> pain. :-(
> 
> Fingers crossed for the future :-)
> 
> And now on to better things ...
> 
> Matthew
> 
> P.S. Ant, I assume a total lack of brain-power may not be the prime
> cause of your problems, and further entertain the possibility that you
> can figure out that you'll be wasting your breath by answering this post
> because I won't ever see it unless you are able to manouvre someone else
> into answering it. Still I could be wrong ... go ahead and waste away.
> 
> "John Reimer" <brk_6502@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:cogu7m$2pio$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> 
>>Ant wrote:
>>
>>>In article <codgi9$l4l$2@digitaldaemon.com>, Matthew says...
>>>
>>>
>>>>>In Canada we have Chapters:
>>>>>
>>>>>it's on 6th for "C++" :)
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/default.asp?Lang=en&Section=books&Ntt=%2
> 
> 2C%2B%2B%22&Submit_Search.x=10&Submit_Search.y=7
> 
>>>>Cool!
>>>
>>>
>>>It's great, now I can proudly say: "My worst enemy wrote that book!"
>>>
>>>:)
>>>
>>>Ant
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>Ha ha, strange sense of humor, Ant.  Thank goodness for the smiley.
> 
> 
> 
December 02, 2004
"Lars Ivar Igesund" <larsivar@igesund.net> wrote in message news:colgj1$q50$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> Hmm, I find both your and Ant's opinions very valuable (and I've never read anything I would call nonsense from neither of you), coming from completely different directions. Well, I hope noone ever blacklist me :)

As I recall - although it's been over a year, so they might be rose coloured glasses - he did make useful technical contributions, just that his table manners left too much to be desired. No-one else on the D ngs has even approached the level of rudeness (to me, at least) and so I've not had cause to do the same to anyone else. (Of course, I've not been active on the NGs for the last few months, so can't say for sure, other than to say I know I've not been acting as a lightning rod for such things during that time.)

> Lars Ivar Igesund
>
> PS I plan to buy your book as soon as I can afford it (490 NOK for a soft cover version?! Price found at www.gnist.no)

Good to hear! I'll be happy to hear any criticisms, as I'm currently working through the first print for typos and minor corrections for the reprint.

btw, I have no idea how the exchange rates work out, but it's available from amazon.com for US$30, which is a considerable reduction in its list price of US$45. That _might_ help.

:-)

Cheers

Matthew

> Matthew wrote:
>> Truly bizarre stuff!
>>
>> As it happens, I've had Ant's various email accounts on my "Blocked Senders" list for well over a year now, and have remained blissfully unaware of whatever such nonsense as he's been propagating in that period. He's obviously changed email recently, hence my seeing the "it's on 6th ..." post. I also wondered if perhaps _he'd_ changed as well (as his account), so I sent what I took to be a +ve/friendly response. His response - which must've been on an already blacklisted account, as I've only seen your response to it - indicates that I was wrong, so I guess I should add the latest account to the Blocked Senders list and ensure I immediately do so with any future account changes, rather than be sucked into wasting my time in reading any more of his pointless and malmotivated clap-trap.
>>
>> Alas, it seems that the D newsgroups have not improved much in the few months I've been too busy to read/contribute. Antialias, I feel your pain. :-(
>>
>> Fingers crossed for the future :-)
>>
>> And now on to better things ...
>>
>> Matthew
>>
>> P.S. Ant, I assume a total lack of brain-power may not be the prime cause of your problems, and further entertain the possibility that you can figure out that you'll be wasting your breath by answering this post because I won't ever see it unless you are able to manouvre someone else into answering it. Still I could be wrong ... go ahead and waste away.
>>
>> "John Reimer" <brk_6502@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:cogu7m$2pio$1@digitaldaemon.com...
>>
>>>Ant wrote:
>>>
>>>>In article <codgi9$l4l$2@digitaldaemon.com>, Matthew says...
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>>In Canada we have Chapters:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>it's on 6th for "C++" :)
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/default.asp?Lang=en&Section=books&Ntt=%2
>>
>> 2C%2B%2B%22&Submit_Search.x=10&Submit_Search.y=7
>>
>>>>>Cool!
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>It's great, now I can proudly say: "My worst enemy wrote that book!"
>>>>
>>>>:)
>>>>
>>>>Ant
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>Ha ha, strange sense of humor, Ant.  Thank goodness for the smiley.
>>
>> :-)
>> 

December 02, 2004
Matthew wrote:

> btw, I have no idea how the exchange rates work out, but it's available from amazon.com for US$30, which is a considerable reduction in its list price of US$45. That _might_ help.

Heh, US $30 is the same as 190 NOK. A considerable save compared with 490 NOK! This I call strange. Norway is expensive, but this is ridiculous. I know it's good business bying stuff from the US these days as the dollar is weak, but I had no idea. Even the list price is cheap.

Lars Ivar Igesund

PS I'll put in an order shortly (next paycheck day). Hopefully the shipping charge won't be outrageously high.
December 02, 2004
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 18:31:44 +1100, Matthew wrote:
> 
> Good to hear! I'll be happy to hear any criticisms, as I'm currently working through the first print for typos and minor corrections for the reprint.
> 
> btw, I have no idea how the exchange rates work out, but it's available from amazon.com for US$30, which is a considerable reduction in its list price of US$45. That _might_ help.
> 
> 
> Cheers
> 
> Matthew

All the reviews on amazon enthusiastically recommend the book.  There are some comments, though, that piqued my curiosity:

"His sense of humor is not what I understand, but that does not stop the writing being telling me important things."

and

"The author has quite a unique writing style, which reflects his colorful personality - resulting in a rewarding and fun read."

That can't be the Matthew, we all know!  ;-)

- John R.