May 06, 2022
On 5/6/2022 4:57 AM, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> I am proud to announce another major GCC release, 12.1.

Very impressive work, Iain!
May 07, 2022

On Friday, 6 May 2022 at 11:57:47 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:

>

Hi,

I am proud to announce another major GCC release, 12.1.

Thank you so much Ian on your hard and dedicated work on GDC. It is my goto default compiler for D on Debian Linux. (I use ldc and sometimes dmd sporadically, but only for testing compatibility).

Glad to have newer GCC backend, frontend up to date with DMD, all the Phobos work, and various architectures supports landing!

>

Update the compilers on the GDC compiler explorer site to version 12, and other continued maintenance on the testing infrastructure, the costs of which are now covered by the kind sponsors of GDC. If you are interested in helping support the on-going development of GDC, you can do so by making a donation to the D Language Foundation.

Good you mentioned that! I was not aware of the sponsorship program, and now that I know, I gladly will chip in (well, just did it moments ago). For testing infrastructure, I would suggest tracking compilation speed and memory usage and output binary size of GDC on amd64 and aarch64 at least (to detect compiler getting slower, or due to growth of Phobos / druntime), and having a public website showing this data. Something like this maybe https://fast.vlang.io/

Cheers.

May 07, 2022

On Saturday, 7 May 2022 at 20:14:51 UTC, Witold Baryluk wrote:

>

>

Hi,

Thank you so much Ian on your hard and dedicated work on GDC. It is my goto default compiler for D on Debian Linux. (I use ldc and sometimes dmd sporadically, but only for testing compatibility).

Glad to have newer GCC backend, frontend up to date with DMD, all the Phobos work, and various architectures supports landing!

>

Update the compilers on the GDC compiler explorer site to version 12, and other continued maintenance on the testing infrastructure, the costs of which are now covered by the kind sponsors of GDC. If you are interested in helping support the on-going development of GDC, you can do so by making a donation to the D Language Foundation.

Good you mentioned that! I was not aware of the sponsorship program, and now that I know, I gladly will chip in (well, just did it moments ago). For testing infrastructure, I would suggest tracking compilation speed and memory usage and output binary size of GDC on amd64 and aarch64 at least (to detect compiler getting slower, or due to growth of Phobos / druntime), and having a public website showing this data. Something like this maybe https://fast.vlang.io/

Cheers.

I'm planning on getting something like this set up for the frontend but its not the easiest thing to do on cheap cloud instances.

Hypothetically we could use something like callgrind to measure raw instruction counts but this becomes more and more synthetic the more data you collect.

May 07, 2022

On Saturday, 7 May 2022 at 20:14:51 UTC, Witold Baryluk wrote:

>

Cheers.

Thanks for the suggestion. Vladimir did in fact do that for dmd last decade, it only ran for a couple years though. Have been thinking about maybe reviving it every so often.

https://blog.cy.md/2015/05/05/is-d-slim-yet/

Adam (maybe in a TWID post) did a few months back lament that D1 vs D2 equivalent code compiles slower with the latter. The bulk of which in the trivial case came from Druntime and how many modules are imported (D1 object.d had no imports, D2 object.d imports around 25 modules). Remove the excessive imports and the original speed was observed again. That's only one small example though of where perceived slowness comes from the library becoming more complex over time - and I expect it only to increase as more of the old opaque compiler-library interface is replaced with a templated interface that exposes the guts of what each helper does (for improved run-time performance, of course).

May 07, 2022

On Saturday, 7 May 2022 at 22:07:58 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:

>

I expect it only to increase as more of the old opaque compiler-library interface is replaced with a templated interface that exposes the guts of what each helper does (for improved run-time performance, of course).

Well, I'm pretty sure if we do this carefully we can have the best of both worlds. It is just important to get the interface right at this stage, then we can look at the other optimizations later with precompiling and such.

May 08, 2022

>

Hi,

Thanks, Iain. All is good on OpenBSD.

~Brian

May 08, 2022

>

Hi,

[...]
Regards,
Iain.

Great!

May 11, 2022

>

Hi,

[...]

Thank you for all the great work!

May 11, 2022

>

Hi,

This year, the biggest change in the D front-end is the version bump from v2.076.1 to v2.100.0-rc.1. For the full list of front-end changes, please read the change log on dlang.org. As and when DMD releases new minor releases of v2.100.x, they will be backported into the next minor release of GCC.

Amazing, congratulations!

I was hammering the Arch Linux package page for gcc-d waiting for the update to show up there, but it went from 11.2.0-4 to deleted.

>

gcc-d 11.2.0-4 has been removed from the [core] repository.

Does anyone know what's going on there?

May 11, 2022

On Wednesday, 11 May 2022 at 19:08:15 UTC, Anonymouse wrote:

> >

gcc-d 11.2.0-4 has been removed from the [core] repository.

Does anyone know what's going on there?

You should ask the package maintainers.

https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-packages/commit/6ebddb843f621263f4ce6e5a8b2b6856f337c218