May 17, 2022

On Tuesday, 17 May 2022 at 20:06:35 UTC, kdevel wrote:

>

Is this reproducible
Yes, it is.

This is an assertion in the backend (Walter you need to fix these they are blocking work on noreturn).

dmd: src/dmd/backend/cod4.d:424: Assertion `cast(int)sz > 0' failed.

However this is a bug with the implementation of noreturn rather than throw expressions.
The PR I just raised only adjusts the tables that govern implicit conversions to be more aware of noreturn.

I haven't look into this in any detail but the assertion triggering here is probably because the frontend is casting the noreturn-ing expression to an int. This be a hack to make the backend work with noreturn however I'm not familiar with the foundation of it's implementation.

May 18, 2022
On 18/05/2022 8:50 AM, kdevel wrote:
> On Tuesday, 17 May 2022 at 20:06:35 UTC, kdevel wrote:
> [...]
>> Is this reproducible?
> 
> Issue 23120 - dmd illegal instruction throw expression

https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=23120
May 17, 2022

On Tuesday, 17 May 2022 at 14:41:24 UTC, Basile B. wrote:

>

Proper syntax coloring is based on the lexems and shall not break. I'd be curious to know which are the text editors that cant colorize throw anymore.

Proper syntax coloring does way more than this and has been for the past 20 years. Highlight invalid constructs, display types, expression and alike differently, etc...

Almost any modern text editor will use much more than a lexer. Most of them don't support D, for obvious reasons. I use sublime text, which has decent support for D. At least as long as you don't use throw expressions.

May 17, 2022

On Tuesday, 17 May 2022 at 21:05:08 UTC, deadalnix wrote:

>

On Tuesday, 17 May 2022 at 14:41:24 UTC, Basile B. wrote:

>

Proper syntax coloring is based on the lexems and shall not break. I'd be curious to know which are the text editors that cant colorize throw anymore.

Proper syntax coloring does way more than this and has been for the past 20 years. Highlight invalid constructs, display types, expression and alike differently, etc...

Almost any modern text editor will use much more than a lexer. Most of them don't support D, for obvious reasons. I use sublime text, which has decent support for D.

Yes I see that ST does more. It has several other issues. 100% of them are caused by the fact that they need to keep up to date with the grammar. That's a pity, an old unproper syntax coloring based on the tokens would work just fine.

May 18, 2022

On Tuesday, 17 May 2022 at 22:03:38 UTC, Basile B. wrote:

>

Yes I see that ST does more. It has several other issues. 100% of them are caused by the fact that they need to keep up to date with the grammar. That's a pity, an old unproper syntax coloring based on the tokens would work just fine.

No it would not.

You just can't provide the same level of support with lexing you can with parsing, this is why we have parsers to begin with.

This attitude is why tooling is so poor for D to begin with.

May 17, 2022

On 5/17/22 8:47 PM, deadalnix wrote:

>

On Tuesday, 17 May 2022 at 22:03:38 UTC, Basile B. wrote:

>

No it would not.

You just can't provide the same level of support with lexing you can with parsing, this is why we have parsers to begin with.

This attitude is why tooling is so poor for D to begin with.

libdparse supports the new syntax in question. I'm not sure what more D can do. D updated the parser, which is an official open-source library that implements the parser. It can't make other projects give up their NIH parsers.

If someone implemented a D parser in brainfuck, would D have to make sure it updated that parser before progressing, just because it's a parser?

-Steve

May 18, 2022
On 5/17/2022 1:57 PM, max haughton wrote:
> This is an assertion in the backend (Walter you need to fix these they are blocking work on noreturn).

The backend assert is doing its job. Somewhere in the compiler the + should be turned into a ,
May 18, 2022
On Wednesday, 18 May 2022 at 07:30:15 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/17/2022 1:57 PM, max haughton wrote:
>> This is an assertion in the backend (Walter you need to fix these they are blocking work on noreturn).
>
> The backend assert is doing its job. Somewhere in the compiler the + should be turned into a ,

These is plural unfortunately. There's one particular cod1 ptregs assertion that comes up *a lot* but unlike this assertion it gives no context other than something broken
May 18, 2022
On 5/18/2022 12:35 AM, max haughton wrote:
> On Wednesday, 18 May 2022 at 07:30:15 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 5/17/2022 1:57 PM, max haughton wrote:
>>> This is an assertion in the backend (Walter you need to fix these they are blocking work on noreturn).
>>
>> The backend assert is doing its job. Somewhere in the compiler the + should be turned into a ,
> 
> These is plural unfortunately. There's one particular cod1 ptregs assertion that comes up *a lot* but unlike this assertion it gives no context other than something broken

More thinking about this suggests that int+noreturn should be typed as noreturn.
May 18, 2022

On Tuesday, 17 May 2022 at 21:05:08 UTC, deadalnix wrote:

>

I use sublime text, which has decent support for D. At least as long as you don't use throw expressions.

There is your problem. Sublime Text likes to be different.

According to the devs, Sublime has its own regex engine optimised for speed, and uses custom grammars for syntax highlighting. Whenever D evolves, someone needs to patch their grammar up; and it’s not the Sublime devs. I did that when the new contract format went live. I told the devs that it would be better for D to have a syntax highlighter based on one of the maintained parsers, but they replied that that would likely never be supported. That’s when I stopped using Sublime for D.

I’m currently using Visual Studio Community (not “Code”) which uses dmd as a library for the parsing.

— Bastiaan