Brad Roberts
May 11, 2010
Don Clugston
May 11, 2010
Walter Bright
May 11, 2010
Don Clugston
May 11, 2010
Based on the following D.learn thread it would appear that std.complex isn't compiled into phobos.lib on Windows:

http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D.learn&article_id=19695

I have noted that complex.d is missing from the SRCS variable defined at lines 97-137 of win32.mak, and I assume that's the cause of the problem.

However, I am completely unable to get Phobos to compile on Windows so I can't know for certain whether adding it fixes the problem.  (Phobos won't build without druntime, and apparently I can't build druntime without some 'masm386' program which I don't have.)

Can someone confirm that adding complex.d to SRCS fixes the issue?

-Lars

May 11, 2010
On 5/11/2010 12:11 AM, Lars Tandle Kyllingstad wrote:
> Based on the following D.learn thread it would appear that std.complex isn't compiled into phobos.lib on Windows:
> 
> http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D.learn&article_id=19695
> 
> I have noted that complex.d is missing from the SRCS variable defined at lines 97-137 of win32.mak, and I assume that's the cause of the problem.
> 
> However, I am completely unable to get Phobos to compile on Windows so I can't know for certain whether adding it fixes the problem.  (Phobos won't build without druntime, and apparently I can't build druntime without some 'masm386' program which I don't have.)
> 
> Can someone confirm that adding complex.d to SRCS fixes the issue?
> 
> -Lars
> 
> _______________________________________________
> phobos mailing list
> phobos at puremagic.com
> http://lists.puremagic.com/mailman/listinfo/phobos

The .obj file for that should be checked in as well.  It sounds like the .asm file has a newer date than the .asm so it's trying to rebuild it.  On unix you chould just 'touch mumble.obj' to update the date, but I've no idea how to do something similar on windows.  One option, rm the .obj and svn update it to pull it back from svn.

That should get you past that problem so you can complete the testing.

It does sound like the right fix though.

Later,
Brad
May 11, 2010
On 11 May 2010 09:11, Lars Tandle Kyllingstad <lars at kyllingen.net> wrote:
> Based on the following D.learn thread it would appear that std.complex isn't compiled into phobos.lib on Windows:
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D.learn&article_id=19695
>
> I have noted that complex.d is missing from the SRCS variable defined at lines 97-137 of win32.mak, and I assume that's the cause of the problem.
>
> However, I am completely unable to get Phobos to compile on Windows so I can't know for certain whether adding it fixes the problem. ?(Phobos won't build without druntime, and apparently I can't build druntime without some 'masm386' program which I don't have.)

I'm sick of that recurring. Neither file has changed for several years, but at some point minit.asm was moved, and it got a different date on it. I think it's fixed in the download but not in svn. Or vice versa. You can also fix it by deleting minit.asm and copying it from D1 or from an old D2.

> Can someone confirm that adding complex.d to SRCS fixes the issue?

Yes, that's correct. I'll fix it as soon as dsource comes back on line.
May 11, 2010

Don Clugston wrote:
>
> Yes, that's correct. I'll fix it as soon as dsource comes back on line.
>
> 

I've also fixed it, but of course I cannot check it in.
May 11, 2010
On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 10:01 +0200, Don Clugston wrote:
> On 11 May 2010 09:11, Lars Tandle Kyllingstad <lars at kyllingen.net> wrote:
> > Based on the following D.learn thread it would appear that std.complex isn't compiled into phobos.lib on Windows:
> >
> > http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D.learn&article_id=19695
> >
> > I have noted that complex.d is missing from the SRCS variable defined at lines 97-137 of win32.mak, and I assume that's the cause of the problem.
> >
> > However, I am completely unable to get Phobos to compile on Windows so I can't know for certain whether adding it fixes the problem.  (Phobos won't build without druntime, and apparently I can't build druntime without some 'masm386' program which I don't have.)
> 
> I'm sick of that recurring. Neither file has changed for several years, but at some point minit.asm was moved, and it got a different date on it. I think it's fixed in the download but not in svn. Or vice versa. You can also fix it by deleting minit.asm and copying it from D1 or from an old D2.

Perhaps it would be better to just remove mention of minit.asm from the makefile once and for all?  masm386 doesn't seem to be readily available, so most users won't be able to build it anyway.

> > Can someone confirm that adding complex.d to SRCS fixes the issue?
> 
> Yes, that's correct. I'll fix it as soon as dsource comes back on line.

Thanks!

-Lars

May 11, 2010
On 11 May 2010 10:13, Lars Tandle Kyllingstad <lars at kyllingen.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 10:01 +0200, Don Clugston wrote:
>> On 11 May 2010 09:11, Lars Tandle Kyllingstad <lars at kyllingen.net> wrote:
>> > Based on the following D.learn thread it would appear that std.complex isn't compiled into phobos.lib on Windows:
>> >
>> > http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D.learn&article_id=19695
>> >
>> > I have noted that complex.d is missing from the SRCS variable defined at lines 97-137 of win32.mak, and I assume that's the cause of the problem.
>> >
>> > However, I am completely unable to get Phobos to compile on Windows so I can't know for certain whether adding it fixes the problem. ?(Phobos won't build without druntime, and apparently I can't build druntime without some 'masm386' program which I don't have.)
>>
>> I'm sick of that recurring. Neither file has changed for several years, but at some point minit.asm was moved, and it got a different date on it. I think it's fixed in the download but not in svn. Or vice versa. You can also fix it by deleting minit.asm and copying it from D1 or from an old D2.
>
> Perhaps it would be better to just remove mention of minit.asm from the makefile once and for all? ?masm386 doesn't seem to be readily available, so most users won't be able to build it anyway.

masm386 is an easily available download. The problem with minit.asm is
just a one-off that's taken a long time to be resolved. I think it's
fixed now, and you've only encountered it by having parts of an old
repository still around.
The problem also resurfaced once when an incorrect refactoring of
win32.mak was made.

>> > Can someone confirm that adding complex.d to SRCS fixes the issue?
>>
>> Yes, that's correct. I'll fix it as soon as dsource comes back on line.

Actually I'll leave it to Walter.
May 11, 2010
Don Clugston wrote:
> On 11 May 2010 09:11, Lars Tandle Kyllingstad <lars at kyllingen.net> wrote:
>> Based on the following D.learn thread it would appear that std.complex isn't compiled into phobos.lib on Windows:
>>
>> http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D.learn&article_id=19695
>>
>> I have noted that complex.d is missing from the SRCS variable defined at lines 97-137 of win32.mak, and I assume that's the cause of the problem.
>>
>> However, I am completely unable to get Phobos to compile on Windows so I can't know for certain whether adding it fixes the problem.  (Phobos won't build without druntime, and apparently I can't build druntime without some 'masm386' program which I don't have.)
> 
> I'm sick of that recurring. Neither file has changed for several years, but at some point minit.asm was moved, and it got a different date on it. I think it's fixed in the download but not in svn. Or vice versa. You can also fix it by deleting minit.asm and copying it from D1 or from an old D2.

Me too. I remember it was the first issue I hit when first trying to build the thing back in 2006.

Andrei