Jump to page: 1 2
Thread overview
[BUG] Struct alignment (Was Re: Struct sizes - converting C to D)
Apr 23, 2004
Adam Harper
Apr 23, 2004
Juan C
Apr 23, 2004
Adam Harper
Re: [BUG] Struct alignment (Was Re: Struct sizes - converting C to
Apr 23, 2004
Juan C
Apr 24, 2004
Matthew
Apr 24, 2004
Juan C
Apr 24, 2004
Ilya Minkov
Re: [BUG] Struct alignment (Was Re: Struct sizes - converting C to
Apr 24, 2004
Juan C
Apr 24, 2004
Ilya Minkov
Apr 24, 2004
Matthew
Apr 24, 2004
Juan C
Apr 26, 2004
Stewart Gordon
April 23, 2004
The code:

> import std.c.stdio;
> 
> align(2)
> {
>   struct Test{short s; char c;};
> };
> 
> int main(char[][] args)
> {
>   printf("%d\n", Test.size);
> 
>   return 0;
> };

Outputs:

> 3

It should output 4 (if the struct is aligned to the nearest two bytes then the struct should be four bytes in size, not three).

This was tested on Linux using DMD 0.82 (with GCC 3.3.3 as the linker).

The corresponding C code:

> #include <stdio.h>
> 
> #pragma pack(2)
> struct Test{short s; char c;};
> #pragma pack()
> 
> int main(int argc, char** argv)
> {
>   printf("%d\n", sizeof(struct Test));
> 
>   return 0;
> };

Outputs:

> 4

As expected (compiled with GCC 3.3.3 on Linux).

--
Adam

(Note: I had originally posted a similar message under the title "Struct sizes - converting C to D", but wasn't particularly clear and had managed to miss the simplicity of the problem.  So, whilst Walter may have picked up on the underlying problem from those posts I thought it best to just post a clear, succinct, bug report.)
April 23, 2004
<snipple>
>> align(2)
>> {
>>   struct Test{short s; char c;};
>> };
>>   printf("%d\n", Test.size);
>Outputs:
>
>> 3
</snipple>

Looks OK to me, the struct _is_ three bytes in size. Maybe there's a flaw in C that D fixes.

What if the char comes before the short?

April 23, 2004
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 19:24:05 +0000 (UTC)
Juan C <Juan_member@pathlink.com> wrote:

> Looks OK to me, the struct _is_ three bytes in size. Maybe there's a flaw in C that D fixes.

Not according to the D spec.

From http://www.digitalmars.com/d/attribute.html#align:

> Integer specifies the alignment which matches the behavior of the companion C compiler when non-default alignments are used
April 23, 2004
<snip>
>> Integer specifies the alignment which matches the behavior of the companion C compiler when non-default alignments are used
</snip>

Well, you're right that it does not behave the same as DMC (and Borland as well), but I prefer this behaviour. May need another attribute so the user can choose which is desired.

As far as my opinion goes, the alignment only applies to where the member _starts_, not where it ends. And it also doesn't apply to where the _next_ structure starts either.

April 24, 2004
"Juan C" <Juan_member@pathlink.com> wrote in message news:c6bqgl$1m36$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> <snipple>
> >> align(2)
> >> {
> >>   struct Test{short s; char c;};
> >> };
> >>   printf("%d\n", Test.size);
> >Outputs:
> >
> >> 3
> </snipple>
>
> Looks OK to me, the struct _is_ three bytes in size. Maybe there's a flaw in C that D fixes.

It is not. It is 4 bytes. It could only be 3 if the alignment was 1.

The way it works is to denote the boundary on which each of an array of such structures would align. If the size of this was truly 3 - when correct, of course, I believe that the compiler has it wrong in actuality - then the packing of array elements would not differ between align(1) and align(2), which is clearly nonsensical. The only align(?) agnosticism in this case should be between 2 and 4, since the actual total size is 3.

Is that clear as custard? ;)

> What if the char comes before the short?

There should theoretically be no difference, since alignment is (2).

April 24, 2004
<snip>
>The way it works is to denote the boundary on which each of an array of such structures would align. If the size of this was truly 3 - when correct, of
</snip>

That's not how I read it.  I read it as alignment of fields _within_ the structure and not affecting anything _outside_ the structure.

If you declare an array of them and want what you describe you would also have to use align(2) _on the array_.

I do, however, understand that what you describe is what was intended to be implemented. But the way it is (even if it's a misimplementation) is more flexible, and desirable on its own.

April 24, 2004
Juan C schrieb:

> <snip>
> 
>>The way it works is to denote the boundary on which each of an array of such
>>structures would align. If the size of this was truly 3 - when correct, of
> 
> </snip>
> 
> That's not how I read it.  I read it as alignment of fields _within_ the
> structure and not affecting anything _outside_ the structure.
> 
> If you declare an array of them and want what you describe you would also have
> to use align(2) _on the array_.

The problem is, you can iterate through an array by using element-type.sizeof - which may not work then.

-eye
April 24, 2004
"Juan C" <Juan_member@pathlink.com> wrote in message news:c6e499$19u9$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> <snip>
> >The way it works is to denote the boundary on which each of an array of such structures would align. If the size of this was truly 3 - when correct, of
> </snip>
>
> That's not how I read it.  I read it as alignment of fields _within_ the structure and not affecting anything _outside_ the structure.
>
> If you declare an array of them and want what you describe you would also have to use align(2) _on the array_.
>
> I do, however, understand that what you describe is what was intended to be implemented. But the way it is (even if it's a misimplementation) is more flexible, and desirable on its own.

How can it be desirable when it is meaningless? align(2) cannot, by definition,
yield a structure with a (size % 2) != 0. That is the very definition of packing
alignment!

April 24, 2004
<snip>
>How can it be desirable when it is meaningless? align(2) cannot, by definition,
>yield a structure with a (size % 2) != 0. That is the very definition of packing
>alignment!
</snip>

You're obviously using the definition of such which was _supposed to be_ implemented, not that which _was_ implemented. I still say both should be available, perhaps fix align, but add an attribute to mean this kind.

April 24, 2004
<snip>
>The problem is, you can iterate through an array by using element-type.sizeof - which may not work then.
</snip>

That must be why you can't specify an alignment for array elements, my mistake.

Anyway, as align is currently implemented, what you describe is still not broken.

« First   ‹ Prev
1 2