Jump to page: 1 2
Thread overview
remake of remake of Konami's Knightmare
Nov 23, 2017
ketmar
Nov 23, 2017
Martin Drašar
Nov 23, 2017
ketmar
Nov 24, 2017
bauss
Nov 24, 2017
ketmar
Nov 24, 2017
ketmar
Nov 25, 2017
ketmar
Nov 28, 2017
ketmar
Nov 28, 2017
Mengu
Nov 28, 2017
ketmar
Dec 11, 2017
ketmar
Dec 14, 2017
Taylor Hillegeist
Dec 15, 2017
ketmar
November 23, 2017
recently i worked on remake of DOS remake of Konami's Knightmare game[0]. the game is playable now, it has music from original MSX Knightmare, and sfx/gfx/levels from DOS remake. it is written in D, of course, and it is FOSS. you can find the sources here[1].

as usual, you'll need my IV modules[2], and Adam's ARSD modules[3].
the code won't work on 64-bit arches, tho (due to some bugs in sdpy/iv). but it can be compiled for 32-bit GNU/Linux, and 32-bit windows.

here is windows binary for those who cannot (or don't want to) build the binary[4].

WARNING! the code is a partial port of old DOS turbo pascal sources, so it is *very* far from something even remotely sane.

it is not polished yet, but that should not stop you! play this excellent classic shooter while it is hot! ;-)

some tech info: arsd.simpledisplay is used for video (with OpenGL backend), arsd.simplesound for audio (with my AY-8910 emulator), iv.vfs for VFS support. as the game designed for 20 FPS, i didn't bother avoiding GC (that is, the engine allocates like crazy).

enjoy, and happy hacking!


[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knightmare_(1986_video_game)
[1] http://repo.or.cz/knightmare.git
[2] http://repo.or.cz/iv.d.git
[3] https://github.com/adamdruppe/arsd
[4] http://files.catbox.moe/z19j91.7z
November 23, 2017
Dne 23.11.2017 v 13:18 ketmar via Digitalmars-d-announce napsal(a):
> recently i worked on remake of DOS remake of Konami's Knightmare game[0]. the game is playable now, it has music from original MSX Knightmare, and sfx/gfx/levels from DOS remake. it is written in D, of course, and it is FOSS. you can find the sources here[1].
> 
> as usual, you'll need my IV modules[2], and Adam's ARSD modules[3].
> the code won't work on 64-bit arches, tho (due to some bugs in sdpy/iv).
> but it can be compiled for 32-bit GNU/Linux, and 32-bit windows.
> 
> here is windows binary for those who cannot (or don't want to) build the
> binary[4].
> 
> WARNING! the code is a partial port of old DOS turbo pascal sources, so it is *very* far from something even remotely sane.
> 
> it is not polished yet, but that should not stop you! play this excellent classic shooter while it is hot! ;-)
> 
> some tech info: arsd.simpledisplay is used for video (with OpenGL
> backend), arsd.simplesound for audio (with my AY-8910 emulator), iv.vfs
> for VFS support. as the game designed for 20 FPS, i didn't bother
> avoiding GC (that is, the engine allocates like crazy).
> 
> enjoy, and happy hacking!
> 
> 
> [0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knightmare_(1986_video_game)
> [1] http://repo.or.cz/knightmare.git
> [2] http://repo.or.cz/iv.d.git
> [3] https://github.com/adamdruppe/arsd
> [4] http://files.catbox.moe/z19j91.7z

Neat! Instead of working, I was spamming shift like crazy...

Now, when you say a partial port, did you make some automated translation or it is just a manual labor with lotta love?

Martin
November 23, 2017
Martin Drašar wrote:

> Neat! Instead of working, I was spamming shift like crazy...
glad that you liked it! this little thingy is very addictive. ;-)


> Now, when you say a partial port, did you make some automated
> translation or it is just a manual labor with lotta love?
fully manual work. ah, except some simple regexps to replace "=" to "==", ":=" to "=" and such. i ported all monster and movement logic, and wrote new video, audio and game state management subsystems from scratch.
November 24, 2017
On Thursday, 23 November 2017 at 12:18:38 UTC, ketmar wrote:
> recently i worked on remake of DOS remake of Konami's Knightmare game[0]. the game is playable now, it has music from original MSX Knightmare, and sfx/gfx/levels from DOS remake. it is written in D, of course, and it is FOSS. you can find the sources here[1].
>
> [...]

This is pretty neat, good job!
November 24, 2017
bauss wrote:

> On Thursday, 23 November 2017 at 12:18:38 UTC, ketmar wrote:
>> recently i worked on remake of DOS remake of Konami's Knightmare game[0]. the game is playable now, it has music from original MSX Knightmare, and sfx/gfx/levels from DOS remake. it is written in D, of course, and it is FOSS. you can find the sources here[1].
>>
>> [...]
>
> This is pretty neat, good job!

thank you!
November 24, 2017
latest binary. some fixes, nicer title screen, alt now shoots too...

http://files.catbox.moe/k7xxn0.7z
November 25, 2017
quickfix. forgot to properly set requested OpenGL version.

http://files.catbox.moe/lx02hz.7z
November 28, 2017
On 11/24/2017 08:28 PM, ketmar wrote:
> quickfix. forgot to properly set requested OpenGL version.
> 
> http://files.catbox.moe/lx02hz.7z


Very cool! Works under wine for me. Not a game I was familiar with, so it's cool learning hands-on about more of Konami's back catalog from one of the best gaming eras.
November 28, 2017
Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) wrote:

> On 11/24/2017 08:28 PM, ketmar wrote:
>> quickfix. forgot to properly set requested OpenGL version.
>> http://files.catbox.moe/lx02hz.7z
>
>
> Very cool! Works under wine for me. Not a game I was familiar with, so it's cool learning hands-on about more of Konami's back catalog from one of the best gaming eras.

thank you! then you prolly can try this remake too:
http://www2.braingames.getput.com/mog/default.asp

this is Knightmare 2: a very different style, but great still great game.

p.s.: the same codebase is working with GNU/Linux too. just rdmd it, with the proper -I settings. tnx to iv.vfs and arsd.sdpy, the code itself doesn't care about underlying OS. ;-)
November 28, 2017
On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 at 07:47:14 UTC, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) wrote:
> On 11/24/2017 08:28 PM, ketmar wrote:
>> quickfix. forgot to properly set requested OpenGL version.
>> 
>> http://files.catbox.moe/lx02hz.7z
>
>
> Very cool! Works under wine for me. Not a game I was familiar with, so it's cool learning hands-on about more of Konami's back catalog from one of the best gaming eras.

chrome starts the download and then prevents it. would it be because if 7z?
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2