Thread overview
Windows psapi, linker issues
Dec 26
M
Dec 26
kinke
Dec 26
M
Dec 26
kinke
Dec 26
M
Dec 26
kinke
December 26
When trying to use `import core.sys.windows.psapi : GetProcessImageFileNameA`, LDC fails to link with an error `lld-link: error: undefined symbol: _GetProcessImageFileNameA@12` (LDC distribution https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/releases/download/v1.13.0/ldc2-1.13.0-windows-x64.7z , "vs2017-win2016" Windows image from Azure pipelines).

Any ideas?
December 26
On Wednesday, 26 December 2018 at 12:06:38 UTC, M wrote:
> When trying to use `import core.sys.windows.psapi : GetProcessImageFileNameA`, LDC fails to link with an error `lld-link: error: undefined symbol: _GetProcessImageFileNameA@12` (LDC distribution https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/releases/download/v1.13.0/ldc2-1.13.0-windows-x64.7z , "vs2017-win2016" Windows image from Azure pipelines).
>
> Any ideas?

The error suggests you're targeting Win32 (-m32) but using a Win64-only LDC distribution. The multilib package features 32-bit libs too.
December 26
On Wednesday, 26 December 2018 at 12:15:43 UTC, kinke wrote:
> The error suggests you're targeting Win32 (-m32) but using a Win64-only LDC distribution. The multilib package features 32-bit libs too.

Using multilib distribution and explicit `--arch=x86_64` in dub, error has simply changed to "lld-link: error: undefined symbol: GetProcessImageFileNameA". Note that other functions (for example, from core.sys.windows.winbase) do seem to link fine.
December 26
On Wednesday, 26 December 2018 at 14:22:07 UTC, M wrote:
> Using multilib distribution and explicit `--arch=x86_64` in dub, error has simply changed to "lld-link: error: undefined symbol: GetProcessImageFileNameA". Note that other functions (for example, from core.sys.windows.winbase) do seem to link fine.

That's looking better now. You probably need to link explicitly against psapi.lib for that symbol. According to MSDN (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/psapi/nf-psapi-getprocessimagefilenamea), newer Windows versions provide a `K32GetProcessImageFileName` function in kernel32.lib, but druntime declares the old one.
December 26
On Wednesday, 26 December 2018 at 15:50:31 UTC, kinke wrote:
> That's looking better now. You probably need to link explicitly against psapi.lib for that symbol. According to MSDN (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/psapi/nf-psapi-getprocessimagefilenamea), newer Windows versions provide a `K32GetProcessImageFileName` function in kernel32.lib, but druntime declares the old one.

Thanks, that helped. Any reason why libraries referenced by druntime are not added to linker flags automatically?
December 26
On Wednesday, 26 December 2018 at 18:51:48 UTC, M wrote:
> Any reason why libraries referenced by druntime are not added to linker flags automatically?

Well, auto-magic needs a `pragma(lib, "psapi")`, which is missing in that file (but I guess appropriate), just like this reference: https://github.com/dlang/druntime/blob/master/src/core/sys/windows/wingdi.d#L13

So please consider opening an upstream (i.e., dlang) PR to prevent similar hassle for other guys.