July 27, 2004
In article <ce5kea$25vg$2@digitaldaemon.com>, Berin Loritsch says...
>
>Phill wrote:
>
>> "me" <memsom@interalpha.co.uk> wrote in message news:ce1g92$2u8o$1@digitaldaemon.com...
>> 
>>>"Phill" <phill@pacific.net.au> wrote in message news:cduuul$1e7c$1@digitaldaemon.com...
>>>
>>>>I use DIDE, its great and ive had no problems
>>>>with it.
>>>
>>>Unfortunately, the guy who wrote DIDE has withdrawn it and is planning to rewrite the IDE from scratch. Why we loose DIDE is beyond me, but this
>> 
>> seems
>> 
>>>to be one big whim on his part. Let's hope he sees sense ;-)
>>>
>> 
>> 
>> Is that true?
>> 
>> I am almost certainly migrating, so I will probably be using Ants LEDS.
>> 
>> Phill.
>
>LEDS?
>
>DIDE is gone, so unless someone has a spare copy that can be downloaded, the one on the site is gone.

So this is the big opportunity for leds to grab some market share! ;)

Charles, you shouldn't drop your users like that!

I'll be releasing a new leds version soon.
I'll take any help I can get for the windows version.
(the windows version is still not usable)

Ant

http://leds.sourceforge.net

July 27, 2004
Ant wrote:

> In article <ce5kea$25vg$2@digitaldaemon.com>, Berin Loritsch says...
> 
>>LEDS?
>>
>>DIDE is gone, so unless someone has a spare copy that can be downloaded,
>>the one on the site is gone.
> 
> 
> So this is the big opportunity for leds to grab some market share! ;)
> 
> Charles, you shouldn't drop your users like that!
> 
> I'll be releasing a new leds version soon.
> I'll take any help I can get for the windows version.
> (the windows version is still not usable)

Doh!

I'm using Windows :(

I have been told to migrate to a real OS many times, but its not an easy
transition.
July 27, 2004
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> 
> I have been told to migrate to a real OS many times, but its not an easy
> transition.

Especially if you ask about certain ones on this NG ;).

For you, and Phill, and all others, I recommend Gentoo Linux.  I don't want to start an off-topic thread / holy war about flavors of Linux, but for the newbies who are not terribly pressed for time, I think Gentoo is a great platform.

It is incredibly well-documented and if you choose to do the long install (from Stage 1), you will learn a tremendous amount about how Linux systems in general work.  It took me a weekend (on and off) to get my first system up and going, but I've done it in 8 hrs with an old PC, no fancy disk subsystem, etc.

And, after you have a Gentoo system up and running, the Portage system is a dream to work with.  Interdependencies are solved for you, and everything is built from scratch (but in an automated way).  You don't end up in Fedora/RedHat RPM dependency hell.  It's not quite as deep as Windows DLL hell, but it's down there as far as the circles go.

Just my US$0.02
July 28, 2004
Brad Anderson wrote:
> Berin Loritsch wrote:
> 
>>
>> I have been told to migrate to a real OS many times, but its not an easy
>> transition.
> 
> 
> Especially if you ask about certain ones on this NG ;).
> 
> For you, and Phill, and all others, I recommend Gentoo Linux.  I don't want to start an off-topic thread / holy war about flavors of Linux, but for the newbies who are not terribly pressed for time, I think Gentoo is a great platform.
> 
> It is incredibly well-documented and if you choose to do the long install (from Stage 1), you will learn a tremendous amount about how Linux systems in general work.  It took me a weekend (on and off) to get my first system up and going, but I've done it in 8 hrs with an old PC, no fancy disk subsystem, etc.
> 
> And, after you have a Gentoo system up and running, the Portage system is a dream to work with.  Interdependencies are solved for you, and everything is built from scratch (but in an automated way).  You don't end up in Fedora/RedHat RPM dependency hell.  It's not quite as deep as Windows DLL hell, but it's down there as far as the circles go.
> 
> 
> Just my US$0.02

Ive installed Fedora today and also the JDK, DMD, DUI everything looks ok so far.

I have a couple of even dumber questions than the one that I
asked the other day, but I dare not too here.

I didnt actually go cold turkey, instead I chickened out and partitioned
my HD, so I could still keep XP. At the moment I need it because there are a few things that I havent found yet, like something to play .mov files taken on my digital camera.

Thanks for the tip, I will keep it in mind if things get tough over here.

Phill.

July 28, 2004
Brad Anderson wrote:
> Berin Loritsch wrote:
> 
>>
>> I have been told to migrate to a real OS many times, but its not an easy
>> transition.
> 
> 
> Especially if you ask about certain ones on this NG ;).
> 
> For you, and Phill, and all others, I recommend Gentoo Linux.  I don't want to start an off-topic thread / holy war about flavors of Linux, but for the newbies who are not terribly pressed for time, I think Gentoo is a great platform.
> 
> It is incredibly well-documented and if you choose to do the long install (from Stage 1), you will learn a tremendous amount about how Linux systems in general work.  It took me a weekend (on and off) to get my first system up and going, but I've done it in 8 hrs with an old PC, no fancy disk subsystem, etc.
> 
> And, after you have a Gentoo system up and running, the Portage system is a dream to work with.  Interdependencies are solved for you, and everything is built from scratch (but in an automated way).  You don't end up in Fedora/RedHat RPM dependency hell.  It's not quite as deep as Windows DLL hell, but it's down there as far as the circles go.
> 
> 
> Just my US$0.02
Ive installed Fedora today and also the JDK, DMD, DUI everything looks ok so far.

I have a couple of even dumber questions than the one that I
asked the other day, but I dare not too here.

I didnt actually go cold turkey, instead I chickened out and partitioned
my HD, so I could still keep XP. At the moment I need it because there are a few things that I havent found yet, like something to play .mov files taken on my digital camera.

Thanks for the tip, I will keep it in mind if things get tough over here.

Phill.

July 28, 2004
In article <41078BF9.4000001@pacific.net.au>, Phill says...
>
>Ive installed Fedora today and also the JDK, DMD, DUI everything looks ok so far.

What? you say DUI doesn't come standard and doesn't install by default? I better call the guys...

Ant

July 28, 2004
Phill wrote:

> 
> I didnt actually go cold turkey, instead I chickened out and partitioned my HD, so I could still keep XP. At the moment I need it because there are a few things that I havent found yet, like something to play .mov files taken on my digital camera.

Try with mplayer or GUI derivatives (gmplayer, kmplayer, etc.)

July 28, 2004
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:20:25 +1000, Phill <phill@pacific.net.au> wrote:

> Brad Anderson wrote:
>> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> I have been told to migrate to a real OS many times, but its not an easy
>>> transition.
>>
>>
>> Especially if you ask about certain ones on this NG ;).
>>
>> For you, and Phill, and all others, I recommend Gentoo Linux.  I don't want to start an off-topic thread / holy war about flavors of Linux, but for the newbies who are not terribly pressed for time, I think Gentoo is a great platform.
>>
>> It is incredibly well-documented and if you choose to do the long install (from Stage 1), you will learn a tremendous amount about how Linux systems in general work.  It took me a weekend (on and off) to get my first system up and going, but I've done it in 8 hrs with an old PC, no fancy disk subsystem, etc.
>>
>> And, after you have a Gentoo system up and running, the Portage system is a dream to work with.  Interdependencies are solved for you, and everything is built from scratch (but in an automated way).  You don't end up in Fedora/RedHat RPM dependency hell.  It's not quite as deep as Windows DLL hell, but it's down there as far as the circles go.
>>
>>
>> Just my US$0.02
> Ive installed Fedora today and also the JDK, DMD, DUI everything looks ok so far.
>
> I have a couple of even dumber questions than the one that I
> asked the other day, but I dare not too here.
>
> I didnt actually go cold turkey, instead I chickened out and partitioned
> my HD, so I could still keep XP.

I chickened out even further, my linux install runs in a virtual machine. VMware is sooo coool.

> At the moment I need it because there are a few things that I havent found yet, like something to play .mov files taken on my digital camera.
>
> Thanks for the tip, I will keep it in mind if things get tough over here.

-- 
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
July 29, 2004
Juanjo Álvarez wrote:
> Phill wrote:
> 
> 
> 
>>I didnt actually go cold turkey, instead I chickened out and partitioned
>>my HD, so I could still keep XP. At the moment I need it because there
>>are a few things that I havent found yet, like something to play .mov
>>files taken on my digital camera.
> 
> 
> Try with mplayer or GUI derivatives (gmplayer, kmplayer, etc.)
> 
Thanks, I will try them!

Phill.
July 29, 2004
Ant wrote:
> In article <41078BF9.4000001@pacific.net.au>, Phill says...
> 
>>Ive installed Fedora today and also the JDK, DMD, DUI everything looks ok so far.
> 
> 
> What? you say DUI doesn't come standard and doesn't install by default?
> I better call the guys...
> 
> Ant
> 
> 
Are you saying that DUI comes standard with Fedora?
That is a surprise, considering D doesnt, or dont tell
me D is also standard?

Phill.