Thread overview
VisualD + VS2017
September 29
I just did a fresh install of VisualD, straight from the linked site with the installer.

I can make a D project but it won't compile. It says "build succeeded" but then if I go to run it, it still says "no file exists, build?" So I click "yes" and it then fails to find any file.

    "Launch debugger: The program to launch does not exist:
    C:\Users\[user]\novous\source\repos\WindowsApp4\WindowsApp4\Win32\Debug\WindowsApp4.exe"

Inside WindowsApp4.build.cmd, I ran each line individually from command prompt and this line is failing:

     "C:\Program Files (x86)\VisualD\pipedmd.exe" -msmode -deps x64\Debug\WindowsApp4.lnkdep link.exe @C:\Users\[user]\source\repos\WindowsApp4\WindowsApp4\x64\Debug\WindowsApp4.link.rsp

with the error:

    std.file.FileException@std\file.d(3749): x64\Debug: The system cannot find the path specified.

Also,

C:\Program Files (x86)\VisualD\pipedmd.exe <---works

WindowsApp4.link.rsp <-- exists from the previous command line.

"x64\Debug\WindowsApp3.lnkdep" <--- I don't have this file. And it's also odd to have a relative path like that.
September 29
On Saturday, 29 September 2018 at 07:08:02 UTC, Chris Katko wrote:
> I just did a fresh install of VisualD, straight from the linked site with the installer.
>
> [...]

Ignore any typos between "app3" and "app4". I've tried remaking the project multiple times now.
September 29
On Saturday, 29 September 2018 at 07:10:03 UTC, Chris Katko wrote:
> On Saturday, 29 September 2018 at 07:08:02 UTC, Chris Katko wrote:
>> I just did a fresh install of VisualD, straight from the linked site with the installer.
>>
>> [...]
>
> Ignore any typos between "app3" and "app4". I've tried remaking the project multiple times now.

Also! In the WindowsApp4.buildlog.html I get:

OPTLINK (R) for Win32  Release 8.00.17
Copyright (C) Digital Mars 1989-2013  All rights reserved.
http://www.digitalmars.com/ctg/optlink.html
OPTLINK : Error 8: Illegal Filename
September 30

On 29/09/2018 09:08, Chris Katko wrote:
> I just did a fresh install of VisualD, straight from the linked site with the installer.
> 
> I can make a D project but it won't compile. It says "build succeeded" but then if I go to run it, it still says "no file exists, build?" So I click "yes" and it then fails to find any file.
> 
>      "Launch debugger: The program to launch does not exist:
> C:\Users\[user]\novous\source\repos\WindowsApp4\WindowsApp4\Win32\Debug\WindowsApp4.exe" 
> 
> 
> Inside WindowsApp4.build.cmd, I ran each line individually from command prompt and this line is failing:
> 
>       "C:\Program Files (x86)\VisualD\pipedmd.exe" -msmode -deps x64\Debug\WindowsApp4.lnkdep link.exe @C:\Users\[user]\source\repos\WindowsApp4\WindowsApp4\x64\Debug\WindowsApp4.link.rsp 
> 
> 
> with the error:
> 
>      std.file.FileException@std\file.d(3749): x64\Debug: The system cannot find the path specified.
> 
> Also,
> 
> C:\Program Files (x86)\VisualD\pipedmd.exe <---works
> 
> WindowsApp4.link.rsp <-- exists from the previous command line.
> 
> "x64\Debug\WindowsApp3.lnkdep" <--- I don't have this file. And it's also odd to have a relative path like that.

It is an output file from pipedmd that contains the input files the link step depends on.


On 29/09/2018 09:12, Chris Katko wrote:
> Also! In the WindowsApp4.buildlog.html I get:
>
> OPTLINK (R) for Win32  Release 8.00.17
> Copyright (C) Digital Mars 1989-2013  All rights reserved.
> http://www.digitalmars.com/ctg/optlink.html
> OPTLINK : Error 8: Illegal Filename

The wrong linker is called here. Do you have the C++ tools installed with VS?

Check the settings in "Options->Tools->Projects and Solutions->Visual D Settings->DMD directories->x64": you should probably enable "override linker settings from sc.ini" and check the executable paths (VC paths before dmd path).