June 07, 2005
Nod wrote:
> Hey, really nice work. I have already begun working on this though. Would you
> like to team up to avoid duplication of effort?

Well, what have you got so far?

-- 
Thanks,
Trevor Parscal
www.trevorparscal.com
trevorparscal@hotmail.com
June 07, 2005
In article <d83pol$2220$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Trevor Parscal says...
>
>Nod wrote:
>> Hey, really nice work. I have already begun working on this though. Would you like to team up to avoid duplication of effort?
>
>Well, what have you got so far?
>

Yeah, that *would* be valuable info, wouldn't it :)

Heh sorry, I was going to follow up with that earlier, but ran into some apache/php issues. I think I got it sorted now though.

Check out -> http://nod.yi.org/d/

Some notes:
* I have only tested it in the latest Firefox/Opera on Linux; hence it most
probably won't look right in IE.
* It's driven by php, so most links in the toc works. None of the in-page links
work though.
* Some pages are badly borked; notably compiler/phobos pages. Their html needs
fixing.
* Search doesn't work.

-Nod-

June 07, 2005
Nod wrote:

> In article <d83pol$2220$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Trevor Parscal says...
>>
>>Nod wrote:
>>> Hey, really nice work. I have already begun working on this though. Would you like to team up to avoid duplication of effort?
>>
>>Well, what have you got so far?
>>
> 
> Yeah, that *would* be valuable info, wouldn't it :)
> 
> Heh sorry, I was going to follow up with that earlier, but ran into some apache/php issues. I think I got it sorted now though.
> 
> Check out -> http://nod.yi.org/d/
> 
> Some notes:
> * I have only tested it in the latest Firefox/Opera on Linux; hence it
> most probably won't look right in IE.
> * It's driven by php, so most links in the toc works. None of the in-page
> links work though.
> * Some pages are badly borked; notably compiler/phobos pages. Their html
> needs fixing.
> * Search doesn't work.
> 
> -Nod-

I think your design is nice, but now I noticed what I think is a problem with the original design: All the first links down the left are language reference stuff. This should be collected into one section of the site. Thus examples, comparisons, community (very important!) and other sections could get more attention/profilation. In my browser, none of these other sections are on the visible top part of the page. If I didn't scroll, I would never know that there is more to the page than the language reference.

Lars Ivar Igesund
June 07, 2005
In article <d845mv$2c7b$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Lars Ivar Igesund says...
>
>Nod wrote:
>
>> In article <d83pol$2220$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Trevor Parscal says...
>>>
>>>Nod wrote:
>>>> Hey, really nice work. I have already begun working on this though. Would you like to team up to avoid duplication of effort?
>>>
>>>Well, what have you got so far?
>>>
>> 
>> Yeah, that *would* be valuable info, wouldn't it :)
>> 
>> Heh sorry, I was going to follow up with that earlier, but ran into some apache/php issues. I think I got it sorted now though.
>> 
>> Check out -> http://nod.yi.org/d/

>
>I think your design is nice, but now I noticed what I think is a problem with the original design: All the first links down the left are language reference stuff. This should be collected into one section of the site.

I agree, but we might need to do one thing at a time. ;)

I think he's trying to concentrate on solving the problem of the current webpage's understated style (which I think Nod's design does nicely). If someone can find some nice CSS that Walter will apply to the docs, that'd be a great improvement.

>Thus examples, comparisons, community (very important!) and other sections could get more attention/profilation. In my browser, none of these other sections are on the visible top part of the page. If I didn't scroll, I would never know that there is more to the page than the language reference.
>
>Lars Ivar Igesund

I've thought the same thing. Maybe if one of us does a mock-up showing how we can add in a lead-in page to the frames or redesign it so that the frames are removed, we might be able to get such a change implemented. (I've been looking into doing something like this myself, but I haven't put too much time into it yet, and I haven't be satisfied with my results yet.)

jcc7
June 07, 2005
In article <d843q6$2amm$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Nod says...
>
>In article <d83pol$2220$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Trevor Parscal says...
>>
>>Nod wrote:
>>> Hey, really nice work. I have already begun working on this though. Would you like to team up to avoid duplication of effort?
>>
>>Well, what have you got so far?
>>
>
>Yeah, that *would* be valuable info, wouldn't it :)
>
>Heh sorry, I was going to follow up with that earlier, but ran into some apache/php issues. I think I got it sorted now though.
>
>Check out -> http://nod.yi.org/d/

Cool! I like it.

>Some notes:
>* I have only tested it in the latest Firefox/Opera on Linux; hence it most
>probably won't look right in IE.

Right, I looked at it in IE and the "Test of Boxes" didn't look quite the same. Also the "DMD D Compiler" page, didn't work right in IE either (the graphics started overlapping some of the test). But I'm sure some .css can be developed that works well enough in all of the major browsers.

jcc7
June 07, 2005
"Walter" <newshound@digitalmars.com> wrote in message news:d83o15$211p$1@digitaldaemon.com...
>
> "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news@terrainformatica.com> wrote in message news:d835q4$1h9u$1@digitaldaemon.com...
>> I did attempt sometime ago.
>> http://terrainformatica.com/harmonia/screenshots/dm.htm
>> just as possible color gamma solution and probably composition.
>
> I think you've got some good ideas there.
>
>

I hope you are speaking about the content of code block :)))

Andrew.

June 07, 2005
In article <d845mv$2c7b$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Lars Ivar Igesund says...
>> <snip>
>I think your design is nice [...]

In article <d84ch1$2i83$1@digitaldaemon.com>, J C Calvarese says...
>> <snip>
>Cool! I like it.

Thanks to both of you!

And it is correct that I am trying to focus style rather than content. The current pages actually have very clean html, so other than swapping the headers and footers using php, all that is really added is a css file and some graphics. The original content is almost totally unchanged. I must give Walter praise for this; I rarely see so nice html, even if it is not entirely validated - I don't care :)

-Nod-

June 07, 2005
In article <d84ch1$2i83$1@digitaldaemon.com>, J C Calvarese says...
>> <snip>
>Right, I looked at it in IE and the "Test of Boxes" didn't look quite the same. Also the "DMD D Compiler" page, didn't work right in IE either (the graphics started overlapping some of the test). But I'm sure some .css can be developed that works well enough in all of the major browsers.
>
>jcc7

Yes, IE can be fixed, but it is nontrivial, so I won't spend time on it until I know the design will actually be used.

Speaking of which, although it is not complete, some comments or suggestions from Walter would be nice :)

-Nod-

June 08, 2005
In article <d853dv$5nh$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Nod says...
>
>In article <d84ch1$2i83$1@digitaldaemon.com>, J C Calvarese says...
>>> <snip>
>>Right, I looked at it in IE and the "Test of Boxes" didn't look quite the same. Also the "DMD D Compiler" page, didn't work right in IE either (the graphics started overlapping some of the test). But I'm sure some .css can be developed that works well enough in all of the major browsers.
>>
>>jcc7
>
>Yes, IE can be fixed, but it is nontrivial, so I won't spend time on it until I know the design will actually be used.

It's too bad Microsoft won't get with the program with web standards.

>Speaking of which, although it is not complete, some comments or suggestions from Walter would be nice :)
>
>-Nod-

Yes, I'd wait for some interest from Walter, too.

jcc7
June 08, 2005
Walter wrote:
> "Trevor Parscal" <trevorparscal@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:d829rh$sd8$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> 
>>So anyhoo, I have offered before, but here it is again.
>>
>>Maybe D's site could use a little bit of graphical help. I would love to help out (for free of course), if Walter wants some help, otherwise, it's all good, just an offer. And if my crap sucks, than there would be no obligation to use it.
> 
> 
> Why not take the D front page and do a mockup?
> 
> 

OK, I spent a bit of time on this, but there is more that could be done.

I showed the site as having an actual "home" page, which would be a slight change from how it is now. Also I intend on keeping the frames for the language documentation and comparison pages, but other stuff would be on normal site pages. (or so the concept goes)..

You could keep it all in frames, but I really think frames have their place, and a download page isn't one of them.

There is so much I could do to help lay the site's actual content out in an easier to use, more accessible, and more aesthetic manner. You can start to see what I mean by this image I hope.

Anyhoo, I would love to work with the PHP that is already in existence for this effort.

Hope you guys like it, and if you don't let me know what you dislike in as detailed manner as possible.

-- 
Thanks,
Trevor Parscal
www.trevorparscal.com
trevorparscal@hotmail.com