June 08, 2005
That is outstanding!!

- Dave

"Trevor Parscal" <trevorparscal@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:d86s7d$1qnd$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> Walter wrote:
>> "Trevor Parscal" <trevorparscal@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:d829rh$sd8$1@digitaldaemon.com...
>>
>>>So anyhoo, I have offered before, but here it is again.
>>>
>>>Maybe D's site could use a little bit of graphical help. I would love to help out (for free of course), if Walter wants some help, otherwise, it's all good, just an offer. And if my crap sucks, than there would be no obligation to use it.
>>
>>
>> Why not take the D front page and do a mockup?
>>
>>
>
> OK, I spent a bit of time on this, but there is more that could be done.
>
> I showed the site as having an actual "home" page, which would be a slight change from how it is now. Also I intend on keeping the frames for the language documentation and comparison pages, but other stuff would be on normal site pages. (or so the concept goes)..
>
> You could keep it all in frames, but I really think frames have their place, and a download page isn't one of them.
>
> There is so much I could do to help lay the site's actual content out in an easier to use, more accessible, and more aesthetic manner. You can start to see what I mean by this image I hope.
>
> Anyhoo, I would love to work with the PHP that is already in existence for this effort.
>
> Hope you guys like it, and if you don't let me know what you dislike in as detailed manner as possible.
>
> -- 
> Thanks,
> Trevor Parscal
> www.trevorparscal.com
> trevorparscal@hotmail.com
>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 08, 2005
I like it. Very clean and professional looking.

Trevor Parscal wrote:
> Walter wrote:
> 
>> "Trevor Parscal" <trevorparscal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:d829rh$sd8$1@digitaldaemon.com...
>>
>>> So anyhoo, I have offered before, but here it is again.
>>>
>>> Maybe D's site could use a little bit of graphical help. I would love to
>>> help out (for free of course), if Walter wants some help, otherwise,
>>> it's all good, just an offer. And if my crap sucks, than there would be
>>> no obligation to use it.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
> 
> 
> I showed the site as having an actual "home" page, which would be a slight change from how it is now. Also I intend on keeping the frames for the language documentation and comparison pages, but other stuff would be on normal site pages. (or so the concept goes)..
> 
> You could keep it all in frames, but I really think frames have their place, and a download page isn't one of them.
> 
> There is so much I could do to help lay the site's actual content out in an easier to use, more accessible, and more aesthetic manner. You can start to see what I mean by this image I hope.
> 
> Anyhoo, I would love to work with the PHP that is already in existence for this effort.
> 
> Hope you guys like it, and if you don't let me know what you dislike in as detailed manner as possible.
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
June 08, 2005
Looks great!

"Trevor Parscal" <trevorparscal@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:d86s7d$1qnd$1@digitaldaemon.com...
>
>
>
>
>
>
> -- 
> Thanks,
> Trevor Parscal
> www.trevorparscal.com
> trevorparscal@hotmail.com

June 08, 2005
>
>
>
>
>

I think you've done a great job with this.

I agree with abandoning the use of frames, but I'd still like to see the Table of Contents on the left for each page, including the 'home' page.

What is the PHP already in existence? The D web site doesn't use PHP.

June 08, 2005
In article <d87fs1$2dv3$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
>
>
>"Trevor Parscal" <trevorparscal@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:d86s7d$1qnd$1@digitaldaemon.com...
>> OK, I spent a bit of time on this, but there is more that could be done.
>>
>> I showed the site as having an actual "home" page, which would be a slight change from how it is now. Also I intend on keeping the frames for the language documentation and comparison pages, but other stuff would be on normal site pages. (or so the concept goes)..
>>
>> You could keep it all in frames, but I really think frames have their place, and a download page isn't one of them.
>>
>> There is so much I could do to help lay the site's actual content out in an easier to use, more accessible, and more aesthetic manner. You can start to see what I mean by this image I hope.
>>
>> Anyhoo, I would love to work with the PHP that is already in existence for this effort.
>>
>> Hope you guys like it, and if you don't let me know what you dislike in as detailed manner as possible.
>
>I think you've done a great job with this.
>
>I agree with abandoning the use of frames, but I'd still like to see the Table of Contents on the left for each page, including the 'home' page.
>
>What is the PHP already in existence? The D web site doesn't use PHP.
>

I think he means the PHP I used to create my mockup at http://nod.yi.org/d

And of course, Trevor, you'll have it. Let me just nicen it up a little.. Maybe add a comment or two. And nice work!

-Nod-

June 08, 2005
Looks to me like the idea is to only show the table of contents when the "language" item is selected (but I'm just guessing.)

-[Unknown]

> I think you've done a great job with this.
> 
> I agree with abandoning the use of frames, but I'd still like to see the
> Table of Contents on the left for each page, including the 'home' page.
> 
> What is the PHP already in existence? The D web site doesn't use PHP.
June 08, 2005
In article <d86s7d$1qnd$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Trevor Parscal says...
>> <snip>
>Anyhoo, I would love to work with the PHP that is already in existence for this effort.
>

Here you go, I have made it semi-understandable now, up from incomprehensible :) http://nod.yi.org/d/d.tar.bz2

The script fetch5.pl is what I used to pull the pages a while back, It should still work, if Walter has not changed too much in the toc.

>Hope you guys like it, and if you don't let me know what you dislike in as detailed manner as possible.
>

I like it very much, only a minor thing: The language reference is a very large part of the site, so I think it should have a bit more prominent place on the frontpage.

Oh, and do you think it is possible to use some of the graphics / css from my design for the reference? I'm kinda proud of some of the boxes...

>-- 
>Thanks,
>Trevor Parscalz

-Nod-

June 08, 2005
Dude that is awesome! I love it!
Where/How did you learn this stuff?

as for crits:
1- This one is not about your design, but rather about the content (text).
   The site looks professional now, it kinda feels weird when the text says "I did .. I was told .. I .. I .." etc. You know what I mean? It's also not very cear who "I" refers to.

2- As Nod pointed out, the main purpos of the site was the language reference. ".. so I think it should have a bit more prominent place on the frontpage."
    I'm thinking the table of content for the language should always be there, or atleast the "Home" section should be the "Language Reference" section .. or something like that.
    But then again, who am I telling you how to design the site, I suck at this stuff.

Anyway, you've done a good job.

Trevor Parscal wrote:
> Walter wrote:
> 
>> "Trevor Parscal" <trevorparscal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:d829rh$sd8$1@digitaldaemon.com...
>>
>>> So anyhoo, I have offered before, but here it is again.
>>>
>>> Maybe D's site could use a little bit of graphical help. I would love to
>>> help out (for free of course), if Walter wants some help, otherwise,
>>> it's all good, just an offer. And if my crap sucks, than there would be
>>> no obligation to use it.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
June 09, 2005
Hasan Aljudy wrote:

> *snip* it kinda feels weird when the text says "I did .. I was told .. I .. I .." etc. You know what I mean? It's also not very cear who "I" refers to.

Agreed. I guess we should let walter reword it. I don't feel like I am in the place, personally, to put words in walter's mouth, so I just left the text as is for the example.

> *snip* I think it should have a bit more prominent place on the frontpage."

Agreed, I diddn't really think about that when I first made it, but than again, while the language refrence is the most important part of the site, other things in the site are a little too burried in my opinion. For instance, downloading the compiler, news about what's up with the latest version, and links to D related sites. These are all important for people who are a little newer. Eventually I would love to build Walter a language refrence system that is better than MSDN, but I will take one step at a time.

> Anyway, you've done a good job.

Thanks man, I appriciate all the compliments from all of you. I love this comunity because they are really supportive, but still offer good ideas when they have them.

-- 
Thanks,
Trevor Parscal
www.trevorparscal.com
trevorparscal@hotmail.com
June 09, 2005
Nod wrote:

> *snipt * Here you go, I have made it semi-understandable now, up from incomprehensible :)
> http://nod.yi.org/d/d.tar.bz2
> 

Thanks, that should help me out timewise, ALLOT!

> Oh, and do you think it is possible to use some of the graphics / css from my
> design for the reference? I'm kinda proud of some of the boxes...

I am definately going to keep any css that is usefull.

Why reinvent the wheel when you can make the wheel rounder instead?

-- 
Thanks,
Trevor Parscal
www.trevorparscal.com
trevorparscal@hotmail.com