GDC Mac X-compiler
Jun 09, 2006
BCS
Jun 09, 2006
BCS
Jun 10, 2006
BCS
June 09, 2006
Does anyone have a version of GDC mac that will run on x86 running win or Linux? I am now working on a (I think) PPC6 board but running a compiler on it is not possible. If it is a trivial matter to build GDC Mac for x86, just a few pointers to how-to's would be appreciated.
June 09, 2006
BCS wrote:

> Does anyone have a version of GDC mac that will run on x86 running win or Linux? I am now working on a (I think) PPC6 board but running a compiler on it is not possible. If it is a trivial matter to build GDC Mac for x86, just a few pointers to how-to's would be appreciated.

Maybe I am missing something, but why do you want a Mac OS X build for your PPC6 board ? (unless it is already running a Mac OS X - somehow)

Do you mean a *PowerPC* cross-compiler ? (which should be feasible to build using the GDC 0.18 release, I think - depending on the target OS)

--anders
June 09, 2006
Anders F Björklund wrote:
> BCS wrote:
> 
>> Does anyone have a version of GDC mac that will run on x86 running win or Linux? I am now working on a (I think) PPC6 board but running a compiler on it is not possible. If it is a trivial matter to build GDC Mac for x86, just a few pointers to how-to's would be appreciated.
> 
> 
> Maybe I am missing something, but why do you want a Mac OS X build for your PPC6 board ? (unless it is already running a Mac OS X - somehow)
> 
> Do you mean a *PowerPC* cross-compiler ? (which should be feasible to build using the GDC 0.18 release, I think - depending on the target OS)
> 
> --anders

I known a little more than nothing about Macs and PPC (A.K.A. PowerPC).

What I have is an embedded, PPC based, controller board that I am programming on and want to get D code compiled for it. IIRC Macs use PPC and therefor I am assuming that the GDC mac compiler is generating PPC code. However, the only systems available to compile on are x86.

So I need a D compiler and associated stuff that will run on an x86 and generate PPC6 ELF files.

If I am in error with some of my assumptions, please point them out.

If you are still confused as to what I want, don't worry, I now am also.

June 10, 2006
BCS wrote:

> I known a little more than nothing about Macs and PPC (A.K.A. PowerPC).

Ok :-)

Macs are now using both PPC (PowerPC) and X86 (Intel), by the way...

> What I have is an embedded, PPC based, controller board that I am programming on and want to get D code compiled for it. IIRC Macs use PPC and therefor I am assuming that the GDC mac compiler is generating PPC code. However, the only systems available to compile on are x86.
> 
> So I need a D compiler and associated stuff that will run on an x86 and generate PPC6 ELF files.

I think you will need a PowerPC cross-compiler to whatever OS the board runs (Linux?). The Mac OS X / Darwin GDC versions generate Mach-O files.

GDC 0.18 should compile out of the box on PPC Linux, I think David said.
You need to set the --target with configure, see GDC docs for details ?

--anders
June 10, 2006
In article <e6dt9g$2kp0$1@digitaldaemon.com>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= says...
>
>BCS wrote:
>
>
>> What I have is an embedded, PPC based, controller board that I am programming on and want to get D code compiled for it. IIRC Macs use PPC and therefor I am assuming that the GDC mac compiler is generating PPC code. However, the only systems available to compile on are x86.
>> 
>> So I need a D compiler and associated stuff that will run on an x86 and generate PPC6 ELF files.
>
>I think you will need a PowerPC cross-compiler to whatever OS the board runs (Linux?).

It a little known RT OS so I couldn't use anything that is OS dependent without re-hacking Phobos internals. But if I can stay away from the GC ("and how hard can that be..." xx-p) a lot of code could fit that bill.

>The Mac OS X / Darwin GDC versions generate Mach-O files.
>
Ouch!! The system libs are ELF and I will need the final product to be ELF or else nothing will load.

>GDC 0.18 should compile out of the box on PPC Linux, I think David said. You need to set the --target with configure, see GDC docs for details ?
>

Well, what I have access to is x86 Linux and WinXP. So I need something that will run on one of those and produce the needed output (PPC6 as ELF). So if it works under PPC Linux (implying that it can make ELF [??]), that only leaves getting the same thing to compile for an x86 box.

>--anders