Lucas Goss
Jun 30, 2006
kris
Jun 30, 2006
Lars Ivar Igesund
Jun 30, 2006
clayasaurus
June 29, 2006
Its adherents rarely surprise me anymore.

Read my post on LTU and snk_kid's response:
http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/1583#comment-19266

I am not trying to single him out, but the responses are pretty common in my (arguably anectdotal) experience.

C++ is getting X in next version...
Using boost/somelib we can do X...
GC/Feature N will be great for C++ but for language Y its slow...

Sigh.

Its funny when people bring up libraries to make their points.
Templates in C++ are slow to compile and bloated in my exposure to them.
And even with all those libraries can you finally type:
string s = "Hello" + " World";

After using D for a while now, i almost _despise_ C++.
I think I would rather just use (python & C) instead of going back.

Walter you have your work cut out for you.
Like most things in IT, the human/political issues outweigh the technical ones.

Sorry for the rant.
-DavidM
June 29, 2006
David Medlock wrote:
> Its adherents rarely surprise me anymore.
> 
> Read my post on LTU and snk_kid's response:
> http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/1583#comment-19266
> 
> I am not trying to single him out, but the responses are pretty common in my (arguably anectdotal) experience.
> 
> C++ is getting X in next version...
> Using boost/somelib we can do X...
> GC/Feature N will be great for C++ but for language Y its slow...
> 
> Sigh.
> 
> Its funny when people bring up libraries to make their points.

Not for C++.  For better or worse, a primary design goal of C++ was keep as much as possible out of the language definition by supporting user defined types that are indistinguishable from built-in types.  So a valid comparison to C++ must necessarily include what can be done in library code.

That said, I don't agree with many of snk_kid's observations.  D *does* support implicit template instantiation, for example.  The compiler implementation is just incomplete.  As for concepts, I do think they would be useful in D but I think they're less necessary than in C++ because D has static if and static assert.  Also, you can inherit from template type parameters as far as I know.

As for boost::function--it's a horrible bit of code and is far more awkward to use than delegates (particularly anonymous delegates) but it works pretty well aside from all that.  However, snk_kid doesn't address the idea that inner functions (ie. delegates) have access to local stack data, or that actually defining a new boost::function is nothing at all like defining a plain old function--it's obviously a class-based hack.

Meta logic is much the same... it's possible in C++ but is far more awkward.  And C++ obviously doesn't support strings or decimal numbers as template value parameters.  Not to mention aliases.

I think one problem is that some people just look at the spec to learn about the language, and the spec is quite sparse in places.  I don't think it mentions implicit template instantiation, and mention of some other features is hard to find.

> Walter you have your work cut out for you.
> Like most things in IT, the human/political issues outweigh the technical ones.

Always.  But as long as D remains in development and isn't supplanted by some magic new language with all of D's features *and* a My Little Pony (tm) then it will have users.  Particularly with GDC available for the non-Windows folks.

Sean
June 29, 2006
"David Medlock" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:e819r5$h8i$1@digitaldaemon.com...

> Read my post on LTU and snk_kid's response:

snk_kid is just another C++ fanboy.  I'm dealing with him on gamedev.net too.

June 30, 2006
Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> "David Medlock" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:e819r5$h8i$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> 
>> Read my post on LTU and snk_kid's response:
> 
> snk_kid is just another C++ fanboy.  I'm dealing with him on gamedev.net too. 
> 
> 

link?
June 30, 2006
Sean Kelly wrote:
> David Medlock wrote:
>> Its adherents rarely surprise me anymore.
>>
>> Read my post on LTU and snk_kid's response:
>> http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/1583#comment-19266
>>
>> I am not trying to single him out, but the responses are pretty common in my (arguably anectdotal) experience.

> I think one problem is that some people just look at the spec to learn about the language, and the spec is quite sparse in places.  I don't think it mentions implicit template instantiation, and mention of some other features is hard to find.

On the "Comparison with other languages" page, it explicitly says that D doesn't have implicit function template instantiation. AND it's been removed from the 'future directions' page.
When I first looked at D, the absence of IFTI was the #1 turn-off. It's only because I saw it in the 'future directions' page that I gave the language a chance.

>> Walter you have your work cut out for you.
>> Like most things in IT, the human/political issues outweigh the technical ones.

True, but I'm going to stick up for snk_kid. Based on the spec, he's quite justified in thinking D doesn't have IFTI and probably never will; and the implications for library design are huge. He's justified in thinking that D template libraries will never be as powerful as C++.
When you read the spec, you should get the impression that D templates are far more powerful than C++ templates.
June 30, 2006
Sean Kelly wrote:
> For better or worse, a primary design goal of C++ was keep as much as possible out of the language definition by supporting user defined types that are indistinguishable from built-in types.  So a valid comparison to C++ must necessarily include what can be done in library code.

For a language with minimal features as a primary design goal, C++ turned out to be, by far, the most complex core language ever to implement!
June 30, 2006
clayasaurus wrote:
> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>> "David Medlock" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:e819r5$h8i$1@digitaldaemon.com...
>>
>>> Read my post on LTU and snk_kid's response:
>>
>> snk_kid is just another C++ fanboy.  I'm dealing with him on gamedev.net too.
>>
> 
> link?

Shame on you, Clay, for not keeping up with my blog!

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=400729
June 30, 2006
Don Clugston wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:
> 
 >
> True, but I'm going to stick up for snk_kid. Based on the spec, he's quite justified in thinking D doesn't have IFTI and probably never will; and the implications for library design are huge. He's justified in thinking that D template libraries will never be as powerful as C++.
> When you read the spec, you should get the impression that D templates are far more powerful than C++ templates.

I would agree with you, but look at the first sentence of my post(above his).
June 30, 2006
Mike Parker wrote:
> clayasaurus wrote:
> 
>> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>>
>>> "David Medlock" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:e819r5$h8i$1@digitaldaemon.com...
>>>
>>>> Read my post on LTU and snk_kid's response:
>>>
>>>
>>> snk_kid is just another C++ fanboy.  I'm dealing with him on gamedev.net too.
>>>
>>
>> link?
> 
> 
> Shame on you, Clay, for not keeping up with my blog!
> 
> http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=400729

Interesting, in both places snk_kid keeps harping on his claim that "D is a failed attempt to be truely better than C++ in *all aspects* which it isn't."

Where did he get that impression????

I have never seen anyone else make the claim that D is trying to be better than anything in *all* respects. Walter doesn't claim this. And considering it is provable that it can't be done, It would be stupid for anyone to claim that.

Also, in places he argues that D will not take over because it can't do something that C++ programmers do. This is only a problem if you try to wright C++ programs in D. The question shouldn't be: "Can the language generate this construct?", it should be: "How easy is it to solve this problem in this language?".

D isn't a better C++. No programming language can be a better C++. D is trying to be a better *Programming Language*.
June 30, 2006
Don Clugston wrote:
> On the "Comparison with other languages" page, it explicitly says that D doesn't have implicit function template instantiation.

Fixed (How did I miss that!)
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2 3 4