Carlos Santander
Nov 06, 2006
Sean Kelly
Feb 26, 2007
Jascha Wetzel
November 05, 2006
By following the instructions given, eg, here:
http://www.codeproject.com/debug/windbg_part1.asp#_Toc64133667

it should be possible to make the debugger pop up automatically for programs that have exceptions.

According to the article above:
"WinDbg will be launched if an application throws an exception while not being debugged and does not handle the exception itself"

Apparently D does some sort of top-level catch of such exceptions right now, because sticking an "asm { int 3; }" in the code just prints the message "Error: Win32 Exception" instead of launching the debugger.  Is there some way to disable that?

--
Really what I was trying to do was see if I could get Visual Studio to debug D code.  Actually it sort of works.  If you have a program with a main loop, you can use visual studio's Tools->Debug Processes... to attach to the running process.  If you've built your program with -g, you can see the stack trace and step through the program normally, and even set breakpoints.

But you can't examine variables.  VisualStudio could tell that there was a "this" pointer, and knew it was of type MyClass, but it couldn't tell what was inside of 'this'.  I wonder if there's a way to make a Visual Studio plugin that would give you this ability?

--bb
November 05, 2006
Bill Baxter wrote:
> By following the instructions given, eg, here:
> http://www.codeproject.com/debug/windbg_part1.asp#_Toc64133667
> 
> it should be possible to make the debugger pop up automatically for programs that have exceptions.
> 
> According to the article above:
> "WinDbg will be launched if an application throws an exception while not being debugged and does not handle the exception itself"
> 
> Apparently D does some sort of top-level catch of such exceptions right now, because sticking an "asm { int 3; }" in the code just prints the message "Error: Win32 Exception" instead of launching the debugger.  Is there some way to disable that?
> 
> -- 
> Really what I was trying to do was see if I could get Visual Studio to debug D code.  Actually it sort of works.  If you have a program with a main loop, you can use visual studio's Tools->Debug Processes... to attach to the running process.  If you've built your program with -g, you can see the stack trace and step through the program normally, and even set breakpoints.
> 
> But you can't examine variables.  VisualStudio could tell that there was a "this" pointer, and knew it was of type MyClass, but it couldn't tell what was inside of 'this'.  I wonder if there's a way to make a Visual Studio plugin that would give you this ability?
> 
> --bb

Try:

extern (C) bool no_catch_exceptions;

no_catch_exceptions = true;
November 05, 2006
Sean Kelly wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
> 
>> By following the instructions given, eg, here:
>> http://www.codeproject.com/debug/windbg_part1.asp#_Toc64133667
>>
>> it should be possible to make the debugger pop up automatically for programs that have exceptions.
>>
>> According to the article above:
>> "WinDbg will be launched if an application throws an exception while not being debugged and does not handle the exception itself"
>>
>> Apparently D does some sort of top-level catch of such exceptions right now, because sticking an "asm { int 3; }" in the code just prints the message "Error: Win32 Exception" instead of launching the debugger.  Is there some way to disable that?
>>
>> -- 
>> Really what I was trying to do was see if I could get Visual Studio to debug D code.  Actually it sort of works.  If you have a program with a main loop, you can use visual studio's Tools->Debug Processes... to attach to the running process.  If you've built your program with -g, you can see the stack trace and step through the program normally, and even set breakpoints.
>>
>> But you can't examine variables.  VisualStudio could tell that there was a "this" pointer, and knew it was of type MyClass, but it couldn't tell what was inside of 'this'.  I wonder if there's a way to make a Visual Studio plugin that would give you this ability?
>>
>> --bb
> 
> 
> Try:
> 
> extern (C) bool no_catch_exceptions;
> 
> no_catch_exceptions = true;

Doesn't quite work.
--> : no identifier for declarator no_catch_exceptions

If you stick the 'no_catch_exceptions=true' into main() or static this() then phobos complains that the value changed:
--> "f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\bin\..\lib\phobos.lib(dmain2)  Offset 1D89AH Record Type 0091
 Error 1: Previous Definition Different : _no_catch_exceptions
--- errorlevel 1"
November 05, 2006
Bill Baxter wrote:
> Doesn't quite work.
> --> : no identifier for declarator no_catch_exceptions
> 
> If you stick the 'no_catch_exceptions=true' into main() or static this() then phobos complains that the value changed:
> --> "f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\bin\..\lib\phobos.lib(dmain2)  Offset 1D89AH Record Type 0091
>  Error 1: Previous Definition Different : _no_catch_exceptions
> --- errorlevel 1"

You could try
extern (C) extern bool no_catch_exceptions;
November 05, 2006
Bill Baxter escribió:
> 
> If you stick the 'no_catch_exceptions=true' into main() or static this() then phobos complains that the value changed:
> --> "f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\bin\..\lib\phobos.lib(dmain2)  Offset 1D89AH Record Type 0091
> --- errorlevel 1"

Put it in a different module. Import it, but don't link it.

-- 
Carlos Santander Bernal
November 05, 2006
Tom S wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> Doesn't quite work.
>> --> : no identifier for declarator no_catch_exceptions
>>
>> If you stick the 'no_catch_exceptions=true' into main() or static this() then phobos complains that the value changed:
>> --> "f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\bin\..\lib\phobos.lib(dmain2)  Offset 1D89AH Record Type 0091
>>  Error 1: Previous Definition Different : _no_catch_exceptions
>> --- errorlevel 1"
> 
> You could try
> extern (C) extern bool no_catch_exceptions;

Nope.  Same deal.

--bb
November 05, 2006
Carlos Santander wrote:
> Bill Baxter escribió:
>>
>> If you stick the 'no_catch_exceptions=true' into main() or static this() then phobos complains that the value changed:
>> --> "f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\bin\..\lib\phobos.lib(dmain2)  Offset 1D89AH Record Type 0091
>> --- errorlevel 1"
> 
> Put it in a different module. Import it, but don't link it.
> 

Devious.  I like it.  But it doesn't work.

--bb
November 06, 2006
Bill Baxter escribió:
> Carlos Santander wrote:
>> Bill Baxter escribió:
>>>
>>> If you stick the 'no_catch_exceptions=true' into main() or static this() then phobos complains that the value changed:
>>> --> "f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\bin\..\lib\phobos.lib(dmain2)  Offset 1D89AH Record Type 0091
>>>  Error 1: Previous Definition Different : _no_catch_exceptions
>>> --- errorlevel 1"
>>
>> Put it in a different module. Import it, but don't link it.
>>
> 
> Devious.  I like it.  But it doesn't work.
> 
> --bb

What's the error message? AFAIK, it should work.

-- 
Carlos Santander Bernal
November 06, 2006
Bill Baxter wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>> Bill Baxter wrote:
>>
>>> By following the instructions given, eg, here:
>>> http://www.codeproject.com/debug/windbg_part1.asp#_Toc64133667
>>>
>>> it should be possible to make the debugger pop up automatically for programs that have exceptions.
>>>
>>> According to the article above:
>>> "WinDbg will be launched if an application throws an exception while not being debugged and does not handle the exception itself"
>>>
>>> Apparently D does some sort of top-level catch of such exceptions right now, because sticking an "asm { int 3; }" in the code just prints the message "Error: Win32 Exception" instead of launching the debugger.  Is there some way to disable that?
>>>
>>> -- 
>>> Really what I was trying to do was see if I could get Visual Studio to debug D code.  Actually it sort of works.  If you have a program with a main loop, you can use visual studio's Tools->Debug Processes... to attach to the running process.  If you've built your program with -g, you can see the stack trace and step through the program normally, and even set breakpoints.
>>>
>>> But you can't examine variables.  VisualStudio could tell that there was a "this" pointer, and knew it was of type MyClass, but it couldn't tell what was inside of 'this'.  I wonder if there's a way to make a Visual Studio plugin that would give you this ability?
>>>
>>> --bb
>>
>>
>> Try:
>>
>> extern (C) bool no_catch_exceptions;
>>
>> no_catch_exceptions = true;
> 
> Doesn't quite work.
> --> : no identifier for declarator no_catch_exceptions
> 
> --- errorlevel 1"

This is what I thought would work.  That or "extern (C) extern bool ..."  There has to be some variant that doesn't make DMD think you're actually declaring a new variable.

Sean
November 06, 2006
Sean Kelly wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> Sean Kelly wrote:
>>> Bill Baxter wrote:
>>>
>>>> By following the instructions given, eg, here:
>>>> http://www.codeproject.com/debug/windbg_part1.asp#_Toc64133667
>>>>
>>>> it should be possible to make the debugger pop up automatically for programs that have exceptions.
>>>>
>>>> According to the article above:
>>>> "WinDbg will be launched if an application throws an exception while not being debugged and does not handle the exception itself"
>>>>
>>>> Apparently D does some sort of top-level catch of such exceptions right now, because sticking an "asm { int 3; }" in the code just prints the message "Error: Win32 Exception" instead of launching the debugger.  Is there some way to disable that?
>>>>
>>>> -- 
>>>> Really what I was trying to do was see if I could get Visual Studio to debug D code.  Actually it sort of works.  If you have a program with a main loop, you can use visual studio's Tools->Debug Processes... to attach to the running process.  If you've built your program with -g, you can see the stack trace and step through the program normally, and even set breakpoints.
>>>>
>>>> But you can't examine variables.  VisualStudio could tell that there was a "this" pointer, and knew it was of type MyClass, but it couldn't tell what was inside of 'this'.  I wonder if there's a way to make a Visual Studio plugin that would give you this ability?
>>>>
>>>> --bb
>>>
>>>
>>> Try:
>>>
>>> extern (C) bool no_catch_exceptions;
>>>
>>> no_catch_exceptions = true;
>>
>> Doesn't quite work.
>> --> : no identifier for declarator no_catch_exceptions
>>
>> --- errorlevel 1"
> 
> This is what I thought would work.  That or "extern (C) extern bool ..."  There has to be some variant that doesn't make DMD think you're actually declaring a new variable.
> 
> 
> Sean
Isn't this what we have 'export' for?

export extern(C) bool no_catch_exceptions;
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2