Aug 13, 2012
Ellery Newcomer
Aug 13, 2012
Sean Kelly
Aug 14, 2012
Ellery Newcomer
August 13, 2012
Hello.

In Pyd, I am trying to get python extension libraries working, but this requires building shared libraries with D. LDC works adequately for this, if you don't mind not having module constructors or unittests; however, in the presence of multiple shared libraries coordinating rt_init and rt_term seems to be an issue.

Currently, I have each shared lib calling rt_init in _init and rt_term in _fini. I would like to know if druntime supports a way to detect if it is running.

For rt_term, I have been using rt.dmain2.isHalting, but that seems to have gone away in more recent druntime, and anyways doesn't seem to be working for me.

I wonder if it would make more sense to call rt_init and rt_term in the druntime shared lib's _init and _fini?
August 13, 2012
Sounds like what's needed is a call counter, so if rt_init is called N times, rt_term must be called N times before the runtime really terminates.

On Aug 13, 2012, at 1:14 PM, Ellery Newcomer <ellery-newcomer@utulsa.edu> wrote:

> Hello.
> 
> In Pyd, I am trying to get python extension libraries working, but this requires building shared libraries with D. LDC works adequately for this, if you don't mind not having module constructors or unittests; however, in the presence of multiple shared libraries coordinating rt_init and rt_term seems to be an issue.
> 
> Currently, I have each shared lib calling rt_init in _init and rt_term in _fini. I would like to know if druntime supports a way to detect if it is running.
> 
> For rt_term, I have been using rt.dmain2.isHalting, but that seems to have gone away in more recent druntime, and anyways doesn't seem to be working for me.
> 
> I wonder if it would make more sense to call rt_init and rt_term in the druntime shared lib's _init and _fini?
August 13, 2012
On 08/13/2012 01:19 PM, Sean Kelly wrote:
> Sounds like what's needed is a call counter, so if rt_init is called N times, rt_term must be called N times before the runtime really terminates.
>

is it valid to call rt_init more than once?

August 13, 2012
On Aug 13, 2012, at 2:07 PM, Ellery Newcomer <ellery-newcomer@utulsa.edu> wrote:

> On 08/13/2012 01:19 PM, Sean Kelly wrote:
>> Sounds like what's needed is a call counter, so if rt_init is called N times, rt_term must be called N times before the runtime really terminates.
>> 
> 
> is it valid to call rt_init more than once?

Not currently.
August 14, 2012
On 08/13/2012 03:37 PM, Sean Kelly wrote:
> On Aug 13, 2012, at 2:07 PM, Ellery Newcomer <ellery-newcomer@utulsa.edu> wrote:
>
>> On 08/13/2012 01:19 PM, Sean Kelly wrote:
>>> Sounds like what's needed is a call counter, so if rt_init is called N times, rt_term must be called N times before the runtime really terminates.
>>>
>>
>> is it valid to call rt_init more than once?
>
> Not currently.
>

I guess if it were made valid then module constructors would still be out?

IE if N shared libraries bring N sets of modules to the table and rt_init is called N times, then what's to prevent some module constructors from being run more than once?