Jump to page: 1 2 3
Thread overview
June 05

It seems like it, after a year or so hiatus there is very little activity. Seems like D is gone as I predicted it would be because of the lack of passion to push it forward and turn it in to a competitive modern project. Boomers killed D ;/

June 05

ok zoomer

June 05

On Saturday, 5 June 2021 at 23:33:59 UTC, The Reaper wrote:

>

It seems like it, after a year or so hiatus there is very little activity. Seems like D is gone as I predicted it would be because of the lack of passion to push it forward and turn it in to a competitive modern project. Boomers killed D ;/

No

June 06
On Sat, 2021-06-05 at 23:33 +0000, The Reaper via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> It seems like it, after a year or so hiatus there is very little activity. Seems like D is gone as I predicted it would be because of the lack of passion to push it forward and turn it in to a competitive modern project. Boomers killed D ;/

No.

Firstly, you should see the definition of dead: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dead

Secondly, visit https://github.com/dlang/ and see the stats by yourself ;)

-- 
Sincerely,
Luís Ferreira @ lsferreira.net



June 06

On Saturday, 5 June 2021 at 23:33:59 UTC, The Reaper wrote:

>

It seems like it, after a year or so hiatus there is very little activity. Seems like D is gone as I predicted it would be because of the lack of passion to push it forward and turn it in to a competitive modern project. Boomers killed D ;/

A dead man ECG: irc://irc.libera.chat/d-feed

June 06
On Sunday, 6 June 2021 at 00:55:51 UTC, Luís Ferreira wrote:
> Secondly, visit https://github.com/dlang/ and see the stats by yourself ;)

If you do a github search on new repos since 1. january you'll find that D and Zig has 4-500, Nim has 6-700, Crystal 5-600, Haxe 7-800.

So D has basically the same activity as Zig, Nim and Crystal.

Other languages:

Pascal: 3K+
Rust: 30K+
Swift: 70K+
Dart: 100K+
C++: 260K+

June 06
On Sunday, 6 June 2021 at 09:10:50 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> On Sunday, 6 June 2021 at 00:55:51 UTC, Luís Ferreira wrote:
>> Secondly, visit https://github.com/dlang/ and see the stats by yourself ;)
>
> If you do a github search on new repos since 1. january you'll find that D and Zig has 4-500, Nim has 6-700, Crystal 5-600, Haxe 7-800.

Another measure, repos that have been created in the past 5 years an which have more than 10 stars:

Zig: 199
D: 236
Crystal: 609
Nim: 665
Pascal: 929

June 06
On Sunday, 6 June 2021 at 09:10:50 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> If you do a github search on new repos since 1. january you'll find that D and Zig has 4-500, Nim has 6-700, Crystal 5-600, Haxe 7-800.
>
> So D has basically the same activity as Zig, Nim and Crystal.
>
> Other languages:
>
> Pascal: 3K+
> Rust: 30K+
> Swift: 70K+
> Dart: 100K+
> C++: 260K+

Does it mean that D is dead?
June 06
On Sunday, 6 June 2021 at 10:15:42 UTC, Jack Applegame wrote:
> Does it mean that D is dead?

No, I think it means that the small languages are splitting the alternative-languages-hobbyist crowd between them?

They are surprisingly even.

June 06
On Sunday, 6 June 2021 at 10:15:42 UTC, Jack Applegame wrote:
>
> Does it mean that D is dead?

I don't think so:

- D Discord users are up +100% in one year

- dlang bot-free download stats: http://erdani.com/d/downloads.daily.png, up +25% year on year

It would be interesting to have other metrics, like repo created on Github/Gitlab year on year or funding of the D Foundation.

« First   ‹ Prev
1 2 3