October 30, 2014
From some little tests I can say only string mixins are working
for the GUI builder scenario.
The concrete class contains private ui controls (members). The gui builder
framework needs to access these private members to call their constructors, and set their values to the last persisted state.

template mixins aren't able to access these private members.
I also think alias this and opDispatch do not help here.

string mixins working perfectly. partial would be a really nice
feature but I also doubt that it will come with D2.

Kind regards
André

On Wednesday, 29 October 2014 at 23:23:40 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 10/29/2014 7:01 AM, Gary Willoughby wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 29 October 2014 at 12:55:01 UTC, FrankLike wrote:
>>> The same thing in D should be done,now.Otherwise,no big projects can be done
>>> like C#. Add another keyword,and update the compiler.
>>
>> Large projects are already being developed using D so your argument is wrong.
>> Also no new keywords are being added to the language because D is trying to
>> achieve stability right now.
>>
>> You can achieve what you desire using mixins.
>
> Either string mixins, template mixins, alias this or opDispatch.

October 31, 2014
On Wednesday, 29 October 2014 at 12:55:01 UTC, FrankLike wrote:
>
> The same thing in D should be done,now.Otherwise,no big projects can be done like C#. Add another keyword,and update the compiler.

This certainly made me laugh... I work on a very big project (Java / JBoss / Swing) and we do not use C#'s partial as Java does not have it. :) Even if it does we would not use it as we prefer our classes to be in a single file.

In D apps I work on I prefer all my classes in a single module, as is common "D way", or shall I call it "modular way"?
October 31, 2014
On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 09:30:25 +0000
Dejan Lekic via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 29 October 2014 at 12:55:01 UTC, FrankLike wrote:
> >
> > The same thing in D should be done,now.Otherwise,no big projects can be done like C#. Add another keyword,and update the compiler.
> 
> This certainly made me laugh... I work on a very big project (Java / JBoss / Swing) and we do not use C#'s partial as Java does not have it. :) Even if it does we would not use it as we prefer our classes to be in a single file.
> 
> In D apps I work on I prefer all my classes in a single module, as is common "D way", or shall I call it "modular way"?
each new generation of programmers tend to believe that there will be no success to languages other than that one they learned unless other languages becomes feature-to-feature clones of The One Language.

it's ok, they will learn other languages sooner or later and will start to hate them all. ;-)

October 31, 2014
On Friday, 31 October 2014 at 09:30:26 UTC, Dejan Lekic wrote:
> On Wednesday, 29 October 2014 at 12:55:01 UTC, FrankLike wrote:
>>
>> The same thing in D should be done,now.Otherwise,no big projects can be done like C#. Add another keyword,and update the compiler.
>
> This certainly made me laugh... I work on a very big project (Java / JBoss / Swing) and we do not use C#'s partial as Java does not have it. :) Even if it does we would not use it as we prefer our classes to be in a single file.
>
> In D apps I work on I prefer all my classes in a single module, as is common "D way", or shall I call it "modular way"?

No human uses partial classes in .NET land other than the tools themselves.

It is a language feature introduced to simplify how Visual Studio supports round-trip editing of UI code in its designers, instead of relying in metadata files.

--
Paulo
October 31, 2014
> No human uses partial classes in .NET land other than the tools themselves.
>
> It is a language feature introduced to simplify how Visual Studio supports round-trip editing of UI code in its designers, instead of relying in metadata files.
>
> --
> Paulo

Very good,It makes your code look very simple , nice and cool.

Frank
October 31, 2014
On Friday, 31 October 2014 at 12:54:30 UTC, FrankLike wrote:
>
>> No human uses partial classes in .NET land other than the tools themselves.
>>
>
> Very good,It makes your code look very simple , nice and cool.
>
Does the inverse of the Turing test have a name? How am I supposed to react when a human passes it? ;)

-Wyatt
October 31, 2014
On Wednesday, 29 October 2014 at 12:55:01 UTC, FrankLike wrote:
> The same thing in D should be done,now.Otherwise,no big projects can be done like C#. Add another keyword,and update the compiler.
>
> FrankLike

I wonder how linux was written in c.
I think it's a rather big project to do without partial keyword.
October 31, 2014
On Friday, 31 October 2014 at 13:50:30 UTC, Andrea Fontana wrote:
> I wonder how linux was written in c.
> I think it's a rather big project to do without partial keyword.

Finns are hardcore.
They drink a lot.
They swear a lot.
And they bathe in snow after taking a whipping.
Naked…
And they like it…

Only Linus can create Linux without partial.
October 31, 2014
On Friday, 31 October 2014 at 13:57:40 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> On Friday, 31 October 2014 at 13:50:30 UTC, Andrea Fontana wrote:
>> I wonder how linux was written in c.
>> I think it's a rather big project to do without partial keyword.
>
> Finns are hardcore.
> They drink a lot.
> They swear a lot.
> And they bathe in snow after taking a whipping.
> Naked…

Caught in the act...

http://www.freogan.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/linus-torvald-speedo-300x255.jpg
October 31, 2014
I work on a big C# project with forms and controls designed in both ways: some are split into partial classes, some mix generated code with user code. Can't remember any issue with it, and difference is visible only when you realize, that the code is indeed in the same file, which may or may not happen.