July 13, 2001
Walter wrote:
> 
> Thanks! It's fun to be back in the compiler biz again. -Walter

Great! Incidentally, I arrived at your resume in Digital Mars web page and learned that you're also the author of ABEL, I worked with EPLDs (and DATA/IO products) from 1989 until 1994, and never realized you were the 'brain behind' that product.

1989 is a very special year 'cause of an article on Object Oriented programming in Byte Magazine, and guess what? Zortech was the only true C++ compiler commercially available at that time... M$ had an affiliate company IIRC Glonkespiel, whose info came in a card embedded in their manuals...

> 
> Does the magazine pay to do the cover CD?
> 

I'm not sure, but I surmise yes! Probably it will be in the units range per mag, however.

I'm positive that the person to be called is what they name 'acquisicions manager' (I saw an ad in the magazine about this).

I sincerely hope you can find a reasonable agreement on this, as I already said, will increase the visibility of the compiler.

Regards,

Cesar
July 13, 2001
> 1989 is a very special year 'cause of an article on Object Oriented programming in Byte Magazine, and guess what? Zortech was the only true C++ compiler commercially available at that time...

<g>
That's one of the reasons why I claim to have more than 10 years experience
with C++!

> M$ had an affiliate
> company IIRC Glonkespiel, whose info came in a card embedded in their
> manuals...

Zortech also sold Glockenspiel Common View separately with one of their releases... I am not sure if I recall the version, but I think it was with 2.0 or 2.1...

Jan

July 15, 2001
Jan Knepper wrote:
> 
> > 1989 is a very special year 'cause of an article on Object Oriented programming in Byte Magazine, and guess what? Zortech was the only true C++ compiler commercially available at that time...
> 
> <g>
> That's one of the reasons why I claim to have more than 10 years experience
> with C++!
> 

Oh boy I'm starting to feel 'old' with this kind of arithmetics ;-)

> > M$ had an affiliate
> > company IIRC Glonkespiel, whose info came in a card embedded in their
> > manuals...
> 
> Zortech also sold Glockenspiel Common View separately with one of their releases... I am not sure if I recall the version, but I think it was with 2.0 or 2.1...
> 

I see, never noticed this... a that times using CV to debug OO software was a concept clash for us.

Cesar
July 16, 2001

Cesar Rabak a écrit :

> Great! Incidentally, I arrived at your resume in Digital Mars web page and learned that you're also the author of ABEL, I worked with EPLDs (and DATA/IO products) from 1989 until 1994, and never realized you were the 'brain behind' that product.
>

What !

ABEL HDL was written by Walter ?

I widely use ABEL HDL with LATTICE CPLD products.

this world is little and Walter everywhere !

Congratulations

Roland

July 17, 2001
I designed the language. I implemented it along with Mike Holley, Mary Bailey, Charles Olivier, Dave Pellerin, and Bjorn Freeman-Benson. The success of ABEL surprised everyone <g>.

Roland wrote in message <3B52DBBA.5940282D@ronetech.com>...
>
>
>Cesar Rabak a écrit :
>
>> Great! Incidentally, I arrived at your resume in Digital Mars web page and learned that you're also the author of ABEL, I worked with EPLDs (and DATA/IO products) from 1989 until 1994, and never realized you were the 'brain behind' that product.
>>
>
>What !
>
>ABEL HDL was written by Walter ?
>
>I widely use ABEL HDL with LATTICE CPLD products.
>
>this world is little and Walter everywhere !
>
>Congratulations
>
>Roland
>
>
>

July 17, 2001
I take the risk to be out of the subject of this newsgroup again, just to express my feeling about HDL langages:

lot of fun to program, VERY hard to debug but facinating: it is like making hardware with software.

magic isn't it ?

Walter a écrit :

> I designed the language. I implemented it along with Mike Holley, Mary Bailey, Charles Olivier, Dave Pellerin, and Bjorn Freeman-Benson. The success of ABEL surprised everyone <g>.
>
> Roland wrote in message <3B52DBBA.5940282D@ronetech.com>...
> >
> >
> >Cesar Rabak a écrit :
> >
> >> Great! Incidentally, I arrived at your resume in Digital Mars web page and learned that you're also the author of ABEL, I worked with EPLDs (and DATA/IO products) from 1989 until 1994, and never realized you were the 'brain behind' that product.
> >>
> >
> >What !
> >
> >ABEL HDL was written by Walter ?
> >
> >I widely use ABEL HDL with LATTICE CPLD products.
> >
> >this world is little and Walter everywhere !
> >
> >Congratulations
> >
> >Roland
> >
> >
> >

July 17, 2001
Roland,

I do not think any one would worry about anyone getting off-topic in any of these
newsgroups. They are not operated by a huge corporate environment with strict
rules... <g>
May be however, I should create a group "chat"???

Jan

Roland wrote:

> I take the risk to be out of the subject of this newsgroup again, just to express my feeling about HDL langages:
>
> lot of fun to program, VERY hard to debug but facinating: it is like making hardware with software.
>
> magic isn't it ?
>
> Walter a écrit :
>
> > I designed the language. I implemented it along with Mike Holley, Mary Bailey, Charles Olivier, Dave Pellerin, and Bjorn Freeman-Benson. The success of ABEL surprised everyone <g>.
> >
> > Roland wrote in message <3B52DBBA.5940282D@ronetech.com>...
> > >
> > >
> > >Cesar Rabak a écrit :
> > >
> > >> Great! Incidentally, I arrived at your resume in Digital Mars web page and learned that you're also the author of ABEL, I worked with EPLDs (and DATA/IO products) from 1989 until 1994, and never realized you were the 'brain behind' that product.
> > >>
> > >
> > >What !
> > >
> > >ABEL HDL was written by Walter ?
> > >
> > >I widely use ABEL HDL with LATTICE CPLD products.
> > >
> > >this world is little and Walter everywhere !
> > >
> > >Congratulations
> > >
> > >Roland
> > >
> > >
> > >

July 17, 2001
Jan Knepper a écrit :

> I do not think any one would worry about anyone getting off-topic in any of these newsgroups. They are not operated by a huge corporate environment with strict rules... <g>

so lets go:

when a motherboard with a big cpu and several reprogrammable CPLD around ?..
..and a new DM C++ that makes programs able to reprogram the CPLDs 'on the fly'
during
execution time when it need some boost for a specific task ?

it's a jock but i wonder if it was tried before.

> May be however, I should create a group "chat"???

for me it's a good idea

Continue like that !

Regards

Roland

July 17, 2001
> so lets go:
>
> when a motherboard with a big cpu and several reprogrammable CPLD around ?..
> ..and a new DM C++ that makes programs able to reprogram the CPLDs 'on the fly'
> during
> execution time when it need some boost for a specific task ?
>
> it's a jock but i wonder if it was tried before.

<g>

> > May be however, I should create a group "chat"???
> for me it's a good idea

Done!

Take care!
Jan

July 18, 2001
Roland wrote:
> 
> I take the risk to be out of the subject of this newsgroup again, just to express my feeling about HDL langages:

Before we get at the reprimend. . .

> 
> lot of fun to program, VERY hard to debug but facinating: it is like making hardware with software.
> 
> magic isn't it ?
> 

Yes sometimes it felt like that. Or, gave to HW engineers the feel that SW engineers enjoyed for half a century ;-)