January 14, 2023

On Saturday, 14 January 2023 at 10:59:38 UTC, Max Samukha wrote:

>

My point is you can rarely decide upfront how to handle input to a public API, because the decision depends on how the API will be used:

(1)

to!int(readln); // "bad input error", expected to be recoverable

(2)

string s = <computation that may contain a logic error>
to!int(s); // "logic error", expected to panic

If you decide on 'assert', then (1) will require a redundant 'enforce'. If you decide on 'enforce', then (2) will require a redundant 'assert'.

The distinction between recoverable and unrecoverable errors is still relevant. The library author is only picking the default. User still needs to make the decision.

January 14, 2023
On 1/8/23 06:51, Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>> I don't think that's a very apt take *at all*.  Frankly it's insulting.  You do realize video games are a *business*, right? They absolutely care about correctness and corruption.
> 
> Sorry I made it sound that way. Nobody is going to die if the display is a bit off. And the reason video game developers asked for D to support half-floats is because of speed, not accuracy. (It's in the Sargon library now.)
> 
> John Carmack famously used the fast inverse square root algorithm that was faster, but less accurate, than the usual method.
> 
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_inverse_square_root

It's not "less accurate". John Carmack decides what the rules of the game are. This is not comparable at all to the game crashing with a segmentation fault in the middle of an online multiplayer session...
January 14, 2023
On 1/12/23 00:28, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/11/2023 5:43 AM, Don Allen wrote:
>> True. But it doesn't work perfectly, which was my point. The jammed 737 rudder actuator problem killed a lot of people and it took years for the NTSB and Boeing to figure it out. Need I mention the DC-10 cargo door latches? You can have ATC errors, pilot errors, etc. that get people killed. So flying is not a zero-risk proposition, just like everything else we've been talking about, including password managers.
> 
> The difference is, Boeing fixed that single point of failure problem as soon as they could. The rudder now has no known single point of failure problems.
> 
> The password manager remains a known, unfixed, single point of failure.

Well, what are you comparing it to? Reusing the same password and/or email for a lot of services probably carries an even higher risk.
January 14, 2023
On 1/12/23 03:32, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/11/2023 4:07 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> This is why I'm a big skeptic of cloud-based services (or indeed,
>> anything that relies on some remote network resource being always
>> available / secure).
> 
> Me too. You all know my practice of putting links to more information in code I write. I've been doing that for a long time. I've found a lot of those older links to Microsoft documentation have become deadends, and google doesn't reveal any replacement.
> 
> It's just gone. Poof.
> 

https://archive.org/web/
January 14, 2023

On Wednesday, 11 January 2023 at 08:57:25 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:

>

We need to caracterize where it's ok to go on, typically it's cases where showing errors in would be worse for the user, and the user is creating some "content".

I always want the problem to be logged, so I want a descriptive entry to be submitted over TCP/IP with as much context as possible, even if I decide that a restart is necessary.

January 14, 2023
On 1/14/2023 10:01 AM, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 1/12/23 00:28, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 1/11/2023 5:43 AM, Don Allen wrote:
>> The password manager remains a known, unfixed, single point of failure.
> Well, what are you comparing it to?
Having a different name and password for each site. Fortunately, many places that bill me allow me to pay via a "guest" payment rather than a login. Many places that require a login just to look at their site get a pass from me.

> Reusing the same password and/or email for a
> lot of services probably carries an even higher risk.

Of course, and I never suggested that.
January 14, 2023
On 1/14/2023 10:17 AM, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 1/12/23 03:32, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Me too. You all know my practice of putting links to more information in code I write. I've been doing that for a long time. I've found a lot of those older links to Microsoft documentation have become deadends, and google doesn't reveal any replacement.
>>
>> It's just gone. Poof.
>>
> 
> https://archive.org/web/

If they were there, wouldn't google have found them? They disappeared around 2001.
January 14, 2023
On 1/14/23 22:24, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/14/2023 10:17 AM, Timon Gehr wrote:
>> On 1/12/23 03:32, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> Me too. You all know my practice of putting links to more information in code I write. I've been doing that for a long time. I've found a lot of those older links to Microsoft documentation have become deadends, and google doesn't reveal any replacement.
>>>
>>> It's just gone. Poof.
>>>
>>
>> https://archive.org/web/
> 
> If they were there, wouldn't google have found them? They disappeared around 2001.

I don't know. I don't remember being pointed towards archived webpages by google, but you can just enter the links there directly and find out.
January 15, 2023
On Wednesday, 21 December 2022 at 19:09:37 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> https://news.ycombinator.com/edit?id=34084894
>
> I'm wondering. Should I just go ahead and implement [..] in ImportC?

Is this done yet?

btw. I think C' biggest mistake, is that it doesn't have classes.

January 14, 2023
On 1/14/2023 2:06 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
> I don't know. I don't remember being pointed towards archived webpages by google, but you can just enter the links there directly and find out.

I never thought of that, thanks for the tip.