Thread overview
Dr. Dobb's and the D Programming Language
Jan 06, 2002
Walter
Jan 07, 2002
Roland
Jan 14, 2002
roland
DDJ, D, XML, HTML, ECMAScript, DOM, etc., etc.
Jan 11, 2002
Alex Vincent
Jan 11, 2002
Pavel Minayev
D and XML (was: DDJ, D, XML, HTML, ECMAScript, DOM, etc., etc.)
Jan 11, 2002
J. Daniel Smith
Jan 12, 2002
Walter
Jan 14, 2002
Mac Reiter
Jan 14, 2002
J. Daniel Smith
Jan 14, 2002
Pavel Minayev
Jan 15, 2002
J. Daniel Smith
Jan 15, 2002
Pavel Minayev
Jan 17, 2002
OddesE
Jan 17, 2002
Pavel Minayev
Jan 17, 2002
J. Daniel Smith
Jan 17, 2002
Walter
Jan 17, 2002
J. Daniel Smith
Jan 18, 2002
Sean L. Palmer
Jan 18, 2002
OddesE
Jan 18, 2002
Pavel Minayev
Jan 18, 2002
Russell Borogove
Jan 19, 2002
Pavel Minayev
Jan 19, 2002
Russell Borogove
Feb 08, 2002
Walter
Feb 09, 2002
Russell Borogove
Feb 08, 2002
Walter
Feb 09, 2002
Pavel Minayev
Feb 09, 2002
Russell Borogove
Feb 09, 2002
Pavel Minayev
Jan 12, 2002
Walter
Jan 12, 2002
Pavel Minayev
Jan 12, 2002
Alex Vincent
Jan 12, 2002
Walter
Jan 12, 2002
Alex Vincent
Jan 12, 2002
Walter
January 06, 2002
D made the cover of February Dr. Dobbs!

www.ddj.com

January 07, 2002
Walter a écrit :

> D made the cover of February Dr. Dobbs!
>
> www.ddj.com

Aoouuo !

Roland

January 09, 2002
Roland wrote:

> Walter a écrit :
>
> > D made the cover of February Dr. Dobbs!
> >
> > www.ddj.com
>
> Aoouuo !
>
> Roland

A concise, well-written article.  Congrats!

I only wish it were twice as long, and mentioned the existence of the alpha version compiler!

-BobC

January 11, 2002
Walter wrote:
> D made the cover of February Dr. Dobbs!
> 
> www.ddj.com

How do you think I found out about it?  8-)

Greetings, everyone.  I must say the concepts D brings about are really quite interesting.  I come from a background of web design, and my own book, the JavaScript Developer's Dictionary, should be on shelves in a couple months.  I'm fairly active in the Mozilla.org project as well, and I tinker around and study the WWW all the time.

So maybe I can bring an outsider's perspective to all this.

First off,  let me point out one particular misconception on the D web site.  The <code>...</code> tag, like many HTML elements, provides little more than stylistic appearance.  It is NOT meant to contain live code, only examples thereof.  The more appropriate element would be <object>...</object>.  If you intend the code to be interpreted, perhaps a <script type="application/x-d">...</script> element would be appropriate.

XML can handle scripting easily:  we simply use an <html:script>...</html:script> element.  The "html" part is an XML namespace.  I do not know how they relate to D or C++ namespaces.  But we typically define an XML namespace by using the prefix as a local name for an "xmlns" namespace:

<root xmlns="http://digitalmars/xml-namespaces/root"
      xmlns:html="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
      >
<html:script type="text/javascript">
alert("Hello World")
</html:script>
</root>

Similarly, you could use <html:object><html:param /></html:object> elements if you decided not to go the scripting route.

XML also allows the use of processing instructions <?target data ?>, where target identifies the program supposed to execute the code.  PHP, for instance, uses <?php ?> (when you have the short form disabled). The data, for PHP anyway, indicates the code to execute.

Now, for a change of subject.  ECMAScript, popularly known by its Netscape-trademarked name JavaScript, and the W3C Document Object Model, are two of my favorite subjects.  (I wrote a whole book on them, and I still learn new facts quite often.)  I of course like the idea of mixing programming / scripting and markup languages together.

I alluded to using D as a scripting language for (X)HTML pages earlier.  I wonder if anyone has a working example of this I could see.  I'll tell you, from a JavaScript developer's perspective, the concept of contracts just blew me away.  I'm very very impressed by that, and it's one thing I already wish JavaScript could support easily.  Alas...

Personally, I'd go absolutely bonkers if someone could write an ECMAScript-compatible engine, like Mozilla.org's JavaScript1.5 beta engine.  I don't know if you guys have been able to write a D compiler in D yet (I understand break-even is a very significant milestone), but if C++ can handle interpretation of another language...  Of course, this whole paragraph is pipe dream stuff for a language whose compiler is in the alpha stage.

Likewise, I'd love to see a DOM implemetation as well one day.  That would require translating from the W3C DOM, particularly the IDL. Even if it's just determining the object tree, it'd be beautiful.

Am I insane to mention these things here, now?  Probably.  Do I understand what you guys talk about?  Somewhat.  Would I be able to help you in the development of the D language?  Only if it was in QA, most likely.

Am I interested in this project?  You betcha.  I've got my hands in a couple dozen other projects, but I do want to follow this one, at least peripherally.

I'll watch this thread for a few days, see what you guys think, and I'll keep in touch.  I hope I haven't insulted your intelligences with the above comments.  Bottom line is I like what I see, and I'd love to support you guys in building this language.  (No, not with money.  I don't have any.)

Alex Vincent
Vallejo, CA

January 11, 2002
"Alex Vincent" <jscript@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:3C3E994B.7020806@pacbell.net...

> First off,  let me point out one particular misconception on the D web site.  The <code>...</code> tag, like many HTML elements, provides little more than stylistic appearance.  It is NOT meant to contain live code, only examples thereof.  The more appropriate element would be <object>...</object>.  If you intend the code to be interpreted, perhaps a <script type="application/x-d">...</script> element would be
appropriate.

It's not intended to be interpreted - D is not a scripting language for Web. I believe it was introduced to allow writing of commented, syntax-colored samples, probably even with embedded diagrams and screenies, but still compileable. Usually you get two files - one .html and one with the source. Now, you get one .html which you can compile.

> Personally, I'd go absolutely bonkers if someone could write an ECMAScript-compatible engine, like Mozilla.org's JavaScript1.5 beta engine.  I don't know if you guys have been able to write a D compiler in D yet (I understand break-even is a very significant milestone), but if C++ can handle interpretation of another language...  Of course, this whole paragraph is pipe dream stuff for a language whose compiler is in the alpha stage.

This is an interesting idea. Some other D features (like slicing) could
also be used in ECMAScript-compatible language (DScript?). Definitely,
this is not something to happen in near future...

> Am I insane to mention these things here, now?  Probably.  Do I understand what you guys talk about?  Somewhat.  Would I be able to help you in the development of the D language?  Only if it was in QA, most likely.

You can share your ideas. Contribute code, sample programs. Translate APIs =)...

January 11, 2002
I too heard about D through the Dr. Dobbs article and was interested enough to checkout the website.

The embeded HTML stuff reminded me of a random thought I had a while ago:
rather than just put D source code inside of <code> and use HTML constructs
like <font> and <br> for "pretty printing", why not make the whole thing
XML?  I haven't thought about this in near enough detail (remember, a
"random thought") to say how it would work for everything, but the basic
idea is that instead of writing HTML code like
    <code>
    void hello(int times)
    {
        int i;
        for (i = 0; i<times; i++)
        {
            printf("Hello World!\n");
        }
    }
    </code>
you would instead write XML something like
    <d:function name="hello" type="void">
        <d:arg name="times" type="int" />
        <d:var name="i" type="int" />
        <dkwd:for init="i=0" test="i<times"; incr="i++">
            <d:call name="printf">
                <d:param value="Hello World!\n" type="string" />
            </d:call>
        </dkwd:for>
    </d:function>
With everything in XML you can use two different XSLT transforms: one to
generate D code to feed to the compiler, and another to generate HTML for
documentation.

Dan

"Alex Vincent" <jscript@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:3C3E994B.7020806@pacbell.net...
> Walter wrote:
> > D made the cover of February Dr. Dobbs!
> >
> > www.ddj.com
>
> How do you think I found out about it?  8-)
>
> Greetings, everyone.  I must say the concepts D brings about are really quite interesting.  I come from a background of web design, and my own book, the JavaScript Developer's Dictionary, should be on shelves in a couple months.  I'm fairly active in the Mozilla.org project as well, and I tinker around and study the WWW all the time.
>
> So maybe I can bring an outsider's perspective to all this.
>
> First off,  let me point out one particular misconception on the D web site.  The <code>...</code> tag, like many HTML elements, provides little more than stylistic appearance.  It is NOT meant to contain live code, only examples thereof.  The more appropriate element would be <object>...</object>.  If you intend the code to be interpreted, perhaps a <script type="application/x-d">...</script> element would be
appropriate.
>
> XML can handle scripting easily:  we simply use an <html:script>...</html:script> element.  The "html" part is an XML namespace.  I do not know how they relate to D or C++ namespaces.  But we typically define an XML namespace by using the prefix as a local name for an "xmlns" namespace:
>
> <root xmlns="http://digitalmars/xml-namespaces/root"
>        xmlns:html="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
>        >
> <html:script type="text/javascript">
> alert("Hello World")
> </html:script>
> </root>
>
> Similarly, you could use <html:object><html:param /></html:object> elements if you decided not to go the scripting route.
>
> XML also allows the use of processing instructions <?target data ?>, where target identifies the program supposed to execute the code.  PHP, for instance, uses <?php ?> (when you have the short form disabled). The data, for PHP anyway, indicates the code to execute.
>
> Now, for a change of subject.  ECMAScript, popularly known by its Netscape-trademarked name JavaScript, and the W3C Document Object Model, are two of my favorite subjects.  (I wrote a whole book on them, and I still learn new facts quite often.)  I of course like the idea of mixing programming / scripting and markup languages together.
>
> I alluded to using D as a scripting language for (X)HTML pages earlier.
>   I wonder if anyone has a working example of this I could see.  I'll
> tell you, from a JavaScript developer's perspective, the concept of
> contracts just blew me away.  I'm very very impressed by that, and it's
> one thing I already wish JavaScript could support easily.  Alas...
>
> Personally, I'd go absolutely bonkers if someone could write an ECMAScript-compatible engine, like Mozilla.org's JavaScript1.5 beta engine.  I don't know if you guys have been able to write a D compiler in D yet (I understand break-even is a very significant milestone), but if C++ can handle interpretation of another language...  Of course, this whole paragraph is pipe dream stuff for a language whose compiler is in the alpha stage.
>
> Likewise, I'd love to see a DOM implemetation as well one day.  That would require translating from the W3C DOM, particularly the IDL. Even if it's just determining the object tree, it'd be beautiful.
>
> Am I insane to mention these things here, now?  Probably.  Do I understand what you guys talk about?  Somewhat.  Would I be able to help you in the development of the D language?  Only if it was in QA, most likely.
>
> Am I interested in this project?  You betcha.  I've got my hands in a couple dozen other projects, but I do want to follow this one, at least peripherally.
>
> I'll watch this thread for a few days, see what you guys think, and I'll keep in touch.  I hope I haven't insulted your intelligences with the above comments.  Bottom line is I like what I see, and I'd love to support you guys in building this language.  (No, not with money.  I don't have any.)
>
> Alex Vincent
> Vallejo, CA
>

January 12, 2002
appropriate.

I did some research on this originally,  and could find no official way of doing it. The <code> tag seemed like a good idea at the time.

> XML can handle scripting easily:  we simply use an <html:script>...</html:script> element.  The "html" part is an XML namespace.  I do not know how they relate to D or C++ namespaces.  But we typically define an XML namespace by using the prefix as a local name for an "xmlns" namespace:
>
> <root xmlns="http://digitalmars/xml-namespaces/root"
>        xmlns:html="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
>        >
> <html:script type="text/javascript">
> alert("Hello World")
> </html:script>
> </root>
>
> Similarly, you could use <html:object><html:param /></html:object> elements if you decided not to go the scripting route.
>
> XML also allows the use of processing instructions <?target data ?>, where target identifies the program supposed to execute the code.  PHP, for instance, uses <?php ?> (when you have the short form disabled). The data, for PHP anyway, indicates the code to execute.

I am clueless when it comes to XML ...

> Now, for a change of subject.  ECMAScript, popularly known by its Netscape-trademarked name JavaScript, and the W3C Document Object Model, are two of my favorite subjects.  (I wrote a whole book on them, and I still learn new facts quite often.)  I of course like the idea of mixing programming / scripting and markup languages together.

I'm very familiar with ECMAScript, as I've written an implementation of it. It runs 10-20x faster than JavaScript. <g>

> I alluded to using D as a scripting language for (X)HTML pages earlier.
>   I wonder if anyone has a working example of this I could see.  I'll
> tell you, from a JavaScript developer's perspective, the concept of
> contracts just blew me away.  I'm very very impressed by that, and it's
> one thing I already wish JavaScript could support easily.  Alas...

I don't think D is suitable as a scripting language (I can get into why if
you want).

> Personally, I'd go absolutely bonkers if someone could write an ECMAScript-compatible engine, like Mozilla.org's JavaScript1.5 beta engine.

Already done. I can send you an executable for it next week, and am looking for customers for it. It's a clean room implementation, so no IP problems, and includes Microsoft jscript extensions. It even can be plugged into Explorer.

>  I don't know if you guys have been able to write a D compiler
> in D yet (I understand break-even is a very significant milestone),

No, it's in bootstrap mode in C++.

January 12, 2002
"J. Daniel Smith" <j_daniel_smith@deja.com> wrote in message news:a1n5rl$2g9q$1@digitaldaemon.com...
>I haven't thought about this in near enough detail (remember, a
> "random thought") to say how it would work for everything, but the basic
> idea is that instead of writing HTML code like
>     <code>
>     void hello(int times)
>     {
>         int i;
>         for (i = 0; i<times; i++)
>         {
>             printf("Hello World!\n");
>         }
>     }
>     </code>
> you would instead write XML something like
>     <d:function name="hello" type="void">
>         <d:arg name="times" type="int" />
>         <d:var name="i" type="int" />
>         <dkwd:for init="i=0" test="i<times"; incr="i++">
>             <d:call name="printf">
>                 <d:param value="Hello World!\n" type="string" />
>             </d:call>
>         </dkwd:for>
>     </d:function>

Er, I like the way the former looks better? <g>

January 12, 2002
"Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote in message news:a1o1hi$to$2@digitaldaemon.com...

> I don't think D is suitable as a scripting language (I can get into why if
> you want).

However a scripting language could be derived from D. Imagine
ECMAScript, but with things like DBC, "stricter" classes (as seen
in PHP), array slicing etc, borrowed from D - syntactically
as well.

January 12, 2002
Walter wrote:
> I did some research on this originally,  and could find no official way of
> doing it. The <code> tag seemed like a good idea at the time.

No biggie.  <object>...</object> is better, possibly with <param /> elements.  That's all.

> I am clueless when it comes to XML ...

I'll be more than happy to help you.

> I'm very familiar with ECMAScript, as I've written an implementation of it.
> It runs 10-20x faster than JavaScript. <g>

Do you mean JS in the browser, or Mozilla.org's standalone JS Engine in C++?

> I don't think D is suitable as a scripting language (I can get into why if
> you want).

Please do.  Incidentally, I like the way Pavel thinks in his reply to your thread...

> Already done. I can send you an executable for it next week, and am looking
> for customers for it. It's a clean room implementation, so no IP problems,
> and includes Microsoft jscript extensions. It even can be plugged into
> Explorer.

I'd love to get my hands on your implementation, see how it compares to the ECMAScript tests.

> No, it's in bootstrap mode in C++.

Let me guess:  D in D is when you call it a "beta".  8-)

« First   ‹ Prev
1 2 3 4