May 18, 2005
In article <d6g7vn$7aa$1@digitaldaemon.com>, James Bruce says...
>Downloads great! It just doesn't run on Windows 98!
>
>I was hoping to use this to teach an after school class on programming D. Our inner city students use recycled computers with various versions of windows.

I glanced at the source, but I didn't look at it long enough to see anything that would prevent it from running on Windows 98.

Did the program about without any kind of error message? Do you have some kind of idea what went wrong? It might be something easy to fix or work-around. For example, I know there's certain function related to long filenames that isn't available on Win98.

On the other hand since you're looking for an editor to use, you might be able to find a suitable one here: http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?EditorSupport

Not many of them support D by default, but usually they can be customized with a D keyword list (and other options can be provided, too). There are a lot of options, but some work better than other. I'm sure at least one of them works on every version of Windows that you'd run into (well, at least Win95+).

For example, I've never had a problem using Jens File Editor on Win98, WinME, Win2000, or WinXP. I haven't ever set it up to automatically build D projects (it can be customized in this area), but then I still like batch files. I prefer it because it's light-weight and easy to install.

jcc7
May 19, 2005
"G.Vidal" <gyvidal@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message news:pan.2005.05.17.13.25.35.491712@wanadoo.fr...

> Third, I can't try your IDE .. But it surely is a
> piece of shit.

Umm, excuse me?  Are you eight years old?  Someone insults your precious OS and you say that their program is "poop"?

May 19, 2005
>I glanced at the source, but I didn't look at it long enough to see anything that would prevent it from running on Windows 98.
>
>Did the program about without any kind of error message? Do you have some kind of idea what went wrong? It might be something easy to fix or work-around. For example, I know there's certain function related to long filenames that isn't available on Win98.

Just a message box saying it won't run on this version of Windows and to please upgrade. I doubt most of my student's machines have enougth memory, let alone enough cpu speed to run XP. I know the free Borland 5.5 C/C++ compiler has issues with older versions of Windows and you have to set a version switch to get your compiled programs to run.

>On the other hand since you're looking for an editor to use, you might be able to find a suitable one here: http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?EditorSupport

Thanks!

May 19, 2005
SUBSYSTEM WINDOWS,5.0

can this be the problem?

In article <d6g9is$8m2$1@digitaldaemon.com>, J C Calvarese says...
>
>In article <d6g7vn$7aa$1@digitaldaemon.com>, James Bruce says...
>>Downloads great! It just doesn't run on Windows 98!
>>
>>I was hoping to use this to teach an after school class on programming D. Our inner city students use recycled computers with various versions of windows.
>
>I glanced at the source, but I didn't look at it long enough to see anything that would prevent it from running on Windows 98.
>
>Did the program about without any kind of error message? Do you have some kind of idea what went wrong? It might be something easy to fix or work-around. For example, I know there's certain function related to long filenames that isn't available on Win98.
>
>On the other hand since you're looking for an editor to use, you might be able to find a suitable one here: http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?EditorSupport
>
>Not many of them support D by default, but usually they can be customized with a D keyword list (and other options can be provided, too). There are a lot of options, but some work better than other. I'm sure at least one of them works on every version of Windows that you'd run into (well, at least Win95+).
>
>For example, I've never had a problem using Jens File Editor on Win98, WinME, Win2000, or WinXP. I haven't ever set it up to automatically build D projects (it can be customized in this area), but then I still like batch files. I prefer it because it's light-weight and easy to install.
>
>jcc7

1 2 3 4 5
Next ›   Last »