View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
November 17, 2005
Re: IDE
Tomás Rossi wrote:
> In article <dli2je$1111$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Dejan Lekic says...
> 
>>
>>The best IDE for D is most certainly excellent Elephant IDE. Freeware.
> 
> 
> It's nice but still TOO BUGGY!
> It'd be nice if the author opens a little more the project and join some
> collaborators. This would rapidly increase the product quality. 
> 
> Tom

BTW, any news on the D Eclipse plugin? The latest "stable" version has a 
bad habit of going into an endless loop when saving code that has 
unterminated code blocks.
November 17, 2005
Re: IDE
In article <dlifl8$1mgb$1@digitaldaemon.com>,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jari-Matti_M=E4kel=E4?= says...
>
>Tomás Rossi wrote:
>> In article <dli2je$1111$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Dejan Lekic says...
>> 
>>>
>>>The best IDE for D is most certainly excellent Elephant IDE. Freeware.
>> 
>> 
>> It's nice but still TOO BUGGY!
>> It'd be nice if the author opens a little more the project and join some
>> collaborators. This would rapidly increase the product quality. 
>> 
>> Tom
>
>BTW, any news on the D Eclipse plugin? The latest "stable" version has a 
>bad habit of going into an endless loop when saving code that has 
>unterminated code blocks.

Wasn't that plugin from the same author of Elephant? I thought Elephant was the
legacy of that Eclipse plugin and that the plugin development was abandoned. 

IMO Eclipse is "God of all IDEs" but also "the slowest and most RAM-demanding
IDE on Earth (head to head with VS.NET2003+ in this concerns (Eclipse written in
Java of course))" and I personally never seen Eclipse working with another
language as good as it does with Java. At any rate I hope that with my future
quantum processor/machine Eclipse would run smoothly :P 

Tom
November 17, 2005
Re: IDE
John Reimer wrote:
> Tomás Rossi wrote:
> 
>> In article <dli2je$1111$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Dejan Lekic says...
>>
>>>
>>> The best IDE for D is most certainly excellent Elephant IDE. Freeware.
>>
>>
>>
>> It's nice but still TOO BUGGY!
>> It'd be nice if the author opens a little more the project and join some
>> collaborators. This would rapidly increase the product quality.
>> Tom
> 
> 
> Well maybe you guys should try the non-free IDE that isn't buggy. That's 
> usually the benefit of most good non-free software.  ;-)
> 
> Beggers can't be choosers.  Nothing is trully free in this world.
> 
> -JJR
Try CodeBlocks.
http://www.codeblocks.org
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?EditorSupport#CodeBlocks
I've been using and it works rather nicely for C++ & D.
November 17, 2005
Re: IDE
In article <dlign4$1n8k$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Tomás Rossi says...
>
[snip]
>IMO Eclipse is "God of all IDEs" but also "the slowest and most RAM-demanding
>IDE on Earth (head to head with VS.NET2003+ in this concerns (Eclipse written in
>Java of course))" and I personally never seen Eclipse working with another
>language as good as it does with Java. At any rate I hope that with my future
>quantum processor/machine Eclipse would run smoothly :P 
>
>Tom

I just had to chime in here and say that you're not alone in feeling this way
about Eclipse.  I always kid with other devs by saying that I *writing* software
in Eclipse is great, but then I have to close it to test my software.  Also its
integration with other languages *is* pathetic and its support for things like
XML is just plain awful. -- but it rocks for coding Java.

I think our only salvation here is in a quality product along the lines of
Elephant or a redo of Eclipse using DWT or mango/SWT.

- EricAnderton at yahoo
November 17, 2005
Re: IDE
pragma wrote:

> I just had to chime in here and say that you're not alone in feeling this way
> about Eclipse.  I always kid with other devs by saying that I *writing* software
> in Eclipse is great, but then I have to close it to test my software.  Also its
> integration with other languages *is* pathetic and its support for things like
> XML is just plain awful. -- but it rocks for coding Java.

I just looked at the coming 3.2 release - Eclipse + Java really rocks! 
But unfortunately we're discussing D here :(

Running Eclipse on a decent Linux box with >1GB memory isn't that 
painful. Although the funniest thing is that Eclipse tries hard to lag 
even when writing simple text into an empty file.

> 
> I think our only salvation here is in a quality product along the lines of
> Elephant or a redo of Eclipse using DWT or mango/SWT.

Sad but true. In order to make the world a better place we should write 
all our programs from scratch using D!
November 17, 2005
Re: IDE
Venix wrote:
> John Reimer wrote:
> 
>> Tomás Rossi wrote:
>>
>>> In article <dli2je$1111$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Dejan Lekic says...
>>>
>>>>
>>>> The best IDE for D is most certainly excellent Elephant IDE. Freeware.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> It's nice but still TOO BUGGY!
>>> It'd be nice if the author opens a little more the project and join some
>>> collaborators. This would rapidly increase the product quality.
>>> Tom
>>
>>
>>
>> Well maybe you guys should try the non-free IDE that isn't buggy. 
>> That's usually the benefit of most good non-free software.  ;-)
>>
>> Beggers can't be choosers.  Nothing is trully free in this world.
>>
>> -JJR
> 
> Try CodeBlocks.
> http://www.codeblocks.org
> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?EditorSupport#CodeBlocks
> I've been using and it works rather nicely for C++ & D.

Damn, it doesn't compile. Sigh, you windows-guys always get prebuilt 
binaries...

 g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../../../src/sdk 
-I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2u-2.4 -DGTK_NO_CHECK_CASTS -D__WXGTK__ 
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -I../../../../src/sdk 
-I../../../../src/sdk/wxscintilla/include 
-I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2u-2.4 -DGTK_NO_CHECK_CASTS -D__WXGTK__ 
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -g -O2 -O2 -ffast-math 
-DCB_PRECOMP -Winvalid-pch -fPIC -DPIC -MT cbprofilerexec.lo -MD -MP -MF 
.deps/cbprofilerexec.Tpo -c cbprofilerexec.cpp  -fPIC -DPIC -o 
.libs/cbprofilerexec.o
cbprofilerexec.cpp: In member function `size_t 
CBProfilerExecDlg::ParseCallGraph(wxArrayString, size_t, 
wxProgressDialog&)':
cbprofilerexec.cpp:176: error: invalid conversion from 
`wxObjectListNode*' to `long unsigned int'
cbprofilerexec.cpp:176: error:   initializing argument 1 of 
`wxColour::wxColour(long unsigned int)'
cbprofilerexec.cpp: In member function `void 
CBProfilerExecDlg::WriteToFile(wxCommandEvent&)':
cbprofilerexec.cpp:275: error: no matching function for call to 
`wxFFile::wxFFile(const wxChar*, const wchar_t[2])'
/usr/include/wx/ffile.h:106: note: candidates are: 
wxFFile::wxFFile(const wxFFile&)
/usr/include/wx/ffile.h:47: note:                 wxFFile::wxFFile(FILE*)
/usr/include/wx/ffile.h:45: note:                 wxFFile::wxFFile(const 
wxChar*, const char*)
/usr/include/wx/ffile.h:43: note:                 wxFFile::wxFFile()
make[5]: *** [cbprofilerexec.lo] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory 
`/mnt/home/users/demise/codeblocks/codeblocks/src/plugins/contrib/profiler'
make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory 
`/mnt/home/users/demise/codeblocks/codeblocks/src/plugins/contrib/profiler'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory 
`/mnt/home/users/demise/codeblocks/codeblocks/src/plugins/contrib'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory 
`/mnt/home/users/demise/codeblocks/codeblocks/src/plugins'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory 
`/mnt/home/users/demise/codeblocks/codeblocks/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
November 17, 2005
Re: IDE
Dave wrote:

>>Well maybe you guys should try the non-free IDE that isn't buggy. 
>>That's usually the benefit of most good non-free software.  ;-)
>>
>>Beggers can't be choosers.  Nothing is trully free in this world.
>>
>>-JJR
> 
> 
> You must work for a living too, huh? <g>
> 
> - Dave
> 
> 

:-)

Yeah. Mostly, it's just that I can appreciate the motivation and 
dedication that goes into the support of commercial software products.

Free software is great.  And I'm very thankful to those that donate 
their time to it.  In the end, though, business keeps things going.

There's definitely a place for both open source and commercial products. 
 For those commercial products that profit from using some open source 
technology in the code, it's nice to see them give portions back (ie 
source improvements, tools, etc) to the open source community too.

-JJR
November 17, 2005
Re: IDE
Jari-Matti Mäkelä wrote:
>>>
>>> Well maybe you guys should try the non-free IDE that isn't buggy. 
>>> That's usually the benefit of most good non-free software.  ;-)
>>>
>>> Beggers can't be choosers.  Nothing is trully free in this world.
>>>
>>> -JJR
>>
>>
>> Try CodeBlocks.
>> http://www.codeblocks.org
>> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?EditorSupport#CodeBlocks
>> I've been using and it works rather nicely for C++ & D.
> 
> 
> Damn, it doesn't compile. Sigh, you windows-guys always get prebuilt 
> binaries...
> 

CodeBlocks is one of the nicest free IDE's out there, I have to agree. 
I too couldn't get it to compile on Linux, though.

I think somebody actually built a D plugin for it.

-JJR
November 17, 2005
Re: IDE
In article <dlika1$1q6i$1@digitaldaemon.com>,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jari-Matti_M=E4kel=E4?= says...
>
>pragma wrote:
>
>> I just had to chime in here and say that you're not alone in feeling this way
>> about Eclipse.  I always kid with other devs by saying that I *writing* software
>> in Eclipse is great, but then I have to close it to test my software.  Also its
>> integration with other languages *is* pathetic and its support for things like
>> XML is just plain awful. -- but it rocks for coding Java.
>
>I just looked at the coming 3.2 release - Eclipse + Java really rocks! 
>But unfortunately we're discussing D here :(
>
>Running Eclipse on a decent Linux box with >1GB memory isn't that 
>painful. Although the funniest thing is that Eclipse tries hard to lag 
>even when writing simple text into an empty file.
>
>> 
>> I think our only salvation here is in a quality product along the lines of
>> Elephant or a redo of Eclipse using DWT or mango/SWT.
>
>Sad but true. In order to make the world a better place we should write 
>all our programs from scratch using D!

I love it.  We're getting closer to that all the time.  If the current crop of
projects pans out, by this time next year, D will have a very impressive
toolchain.  The best is truely yet to come.

But to have *every last shred of code* in D, violates the 80/20 rule (maximum
results for the minimum effort).  To that end, we shouldn't turn our backs on
great C libs like ICU, SDL and such as long as integration isn't a real pain.

- EricAnderton at yahoo
November 17, 2005
Re: IDE
Jari-Matti Mäkelä wrote:
> Venix wrote:
> 
>> John Reimer wrote:
>>
>>> Tomás Rossi wrote:
>>>
>>>> In article <dli2je$1111$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Dejan Lekic says...
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> The best IDE for D is most certainly excellent Elephant IDE. Freeware.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> It's nice but still TOO BUGGY!
>>>> It'd be nice if the author opens a little more the project and join 
>>>> some
>>>> collaborators. This would rapidly increase the product quality.
>>>> Tom
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Well maybe you guys should try the non-free IDE that isn't buggy. 
>>> That's usually the benefit of most good non-free software.  ;-)
>>>
>>> Beggers can't be choosers.  Nothing is trully free in this world.
>>>
>>> -JJR
>>
>>
>> Try CodeBlocks.
>> http://www.codeblocks.org
>> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?EditorSupport#CodeBlocks
>> I've been using and it works rather nicely for C++ & D.
> 
> 
> Damn, it doesn't compile. Sigh, you windows-guys always get prebuilt 
> binaries...
> 
>  g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../../../src/sdk 
> -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2u-2.4 -DGTK_NO_CHECK_CASTS -D__WXGTK__ 
> -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -I../../../../src/sdk 
> -I../../../../src/sdk/wxscintilla/include 
> -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2u-2.4 -DGTK_NO_CHECK_CASTS -D__WXGTK__ 
> -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -g -O2 -O2 -ffast-math 
> -DCB_PRECOMP -Winvalid-pch -fPIC -DPIC -MT cbprofilerexec.lo -MD -MP -MF 
> .deps/cbprofilerexec.Tpo -c cbprofilerexec.cpp  -fPIC -DPIC -o 
> .libs/cbprofilerexec.o
> cbprofilerexec.cpp: In member function `size_t 
> CBProfilerExecDlg::ParseCallGraph(wxArrayString, size_t, 
> wxProgressDialog&)':
> cbprofilerexec.cpp:176: error: invalid conversion from 
> `wxObjectListNode*' to `long unsigned int'
> cbprofilerexec.cpp:176: error:   initializing argument 1 of 
> `wxColour::wxColour(long unsigned int)'
> cbprofilerexec.cpp: In member function `void 
> CBProfilerExecDlg::WriteToFile(wxCommandEvent&)':
> cbprofilerexec.cpp:275: error: no matching function for call to 
> `wxFFile::wxFFile(const wxChar*, const wchar_t[2])'
> /usr/include/wx/ffile.h:106: note: candidates are: 
> wxFFile::wxFFile(const wxFFile&)
> /usr/include/wx/ffile.h:47: note:                 wxFFile::wxFFile(FILE*)
> /usr/include/wx/ffile.h:45: note:                 wxFFile::wxFFile(const 
> wxChar*, const char*)
> /usr/include/wx/ffile.h:43: note:                 wxFFile::wxFFile()
> make[5]: *** [cbprofilerexec.lo] Error 1
> make[5]: Leaving directory 
> `/mnt/home/users/demise/codeblocks/codeblocks/src/plugins/contrib/profiler'
> make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[4]: Leaving directory 
> `/mnt/home/users/demise/codeblocks/codeblocks/src/plugins/contrib/profiler'
> make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory 
> `/mnt/home/users/demise/codeblocks/codeblocks/src/plugins/contrib'
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory 
> `/mnt/home/users/demise/codeblocks/codeblocks/src/plugins'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory 
> `/mnt/home/users/demise/codeblocks/codeblocks/src'
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Compiles flawlessly on my machine using:
gcc version 3.4.4 (Gentoo 3.4.4-r1, ssp-3.4.4-1.0, pie-8.7.8)
wxGTK 2.6.1

Did ya try disabling the profile plugin and see if it'd still go?
Did ya apply the D patch? I didnt.

And D compiler settings would have to be tweaked on linux. They were 
developed with windows and I haven't tested them over there.
1 2 3 4 5
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home