August 01, 2011
- DBs
- Incremental GC (for real-time apps)
- Code examples!!! ..in the docs, applies to all libs, please..
August 01, 2011
Heywood Floyd Wrote:

> - Code examples!!! ..in the docs, applies to all libs, please..

vote++

The language and library reference docs work well for learning what's possible but not at how to make it happen.

TDPL is better, but it isn't really a "cookbook" either.

The good news is that anyone can contribute to a set of code examples. Adding these shouldn't add to the workload of the "senior" developers. In fact learners should probably be the main contributors because they're the ones who notice what's missing.

Suggest perhaps we create a page to invite contribution to code examples. There is already a "Tech Tips" page -- may be revive that.

Paul

August 01, 2011
"Jacob Carlborg" <doob@me.com> wrote in message news:j15kug$1v62$1@digitalmars.com...
> On 2011-07-31 21:06, Jim Hewes wrote:
>
>> For my job I work on Windows, though I try not to be an O/S fanboy and
>> try to treat all platforms with equal credibility. But I guess one of my
>> peeves about open source and Linux (which seem to go together) is that
>> for any target goal there are a hundred half-finished, abandoned
>> projects. I assume this is because people don't get paid to do it and so
>> once they get tired of it they move on to other more interesting things.
>> I can't depend on that or sell it to my colleagues. Take a look at the
>> GUI page on the D wiki. There are a lot of projects, but almost all of
>> them seem to be either in alpha or beta stage or are abandoned. Further,
>> in every project, each developer usually chose to use some different
>> array of tools that I need to download and install in my computer just
>> to build his project. This gets kind of annoying on Windows.
>
> I fully agree with that and it's annoying. The wiki page could probably use some cleanup. About the tools, I'm working on a package manager for D that will ease installation of D libraries, tools and application. I and at least one other person is working on a build tool with the hope that we can all agree on one standard built tool for D.
>

I didn't mean to criticize the D compiler installation, which seems to install pretty well on Windows. That is, after you install it you're ready to go without additional setup or needing to install other things. I was referring more to the peripheral projects and also just to open source in general.

If DWT is the standard GUI in the same sense that MFC is for Microsoft C++, then I thought it would be nice if it were included in the installer for the D compiler. It could be an optional feature during installation. But if you do choose to install it, then right after installation you should immediately be able to build included sample GUI code projects.

> DWT works with D2 (Phobos) as well. It's statically linked so the hello world application gets quite large. But that's because it pulls in a lot of the library, meaning even if you start using other parts of the library it won't increase the size of the executable at the same rate.

Yeah, the main GUI library page on the wiki says that it works with Phobos, but the Windows installation guide says to download Tango. So I wasn't sure it was really updated to support Phobos. Thanks, I will try to check it out next weekend.

Jim 

August 01, 2011
On 31/07/2011 22:15, Brian Hay wrote:
> On 31/07/2011 9:51 PM, Peter Alexander wrote:
>> My wish list:
>>
>> - A good allocator model and integration with standard containers
>> - Fast vector math library suitable for games.
>
> +1 vector math lib.
+1 for a good math lib (it would be cool if Scid cool become part of phobos after GSOC project)

also:
standard database lib (including bindings for postgresql, sqlite, etc)
gui lib (DWT2?)

thanks,

filgood
August 01, 2011
On 7/31/2011 11:32 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 7/31/2011 6:29 PM, Johann MacDonagh wrote:
>> Basically, you give it some string (string, wstring, or dstring), and
>> it gives
>> you a range of tokens back. The token has the type, a slice of the
>> input that
>> corresponds to the token, line / column, and a value (e.g. an integer
>> constant).
>
> I suggest making the input a range.

So, the reason I didn't do this initially was to make slicing a lot easier. It could easily be changed to any kind of input range of characters. However, it looks like something that's not a direct port of DMD isn't worthwhile.
August 01, 2011
"Johann MacDonagh" <johann.macdonagh.no@spam.gmail.com> wrote in message news:j1501g$tbs$1@digitalmars.com...
>
> 1. Database interface. Should support sqlite, mysql, postgres, etc... 3. Some kind of web framework.

Agreed, but fortunately Adam's stuff for that is shaping up nicely:

https://github.com/adamdruppe/misc-stuff-including-D-programming-language-web-stuff

> 2. DWT fixed up and merged into Phobos.

That'd certainly be nice.

August 01, 2011
"Alex Rønne Petersen" <xtzgzorex@gmail.com> wrote in message news:j1395t$13bo$1@digitalmars.com...
> On 31-07-2011 11:57, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> I think someone is working on this.
>
> I know of the Goldie project. Is this it?
>

I'm very interested in doing what I can to make Goldie suitable for what people need. Are there any particular shortcomings you see with it?

August 01, 2011
> On 7/31/2011 11:32 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> > On 7/31/2011 6:29 PM, Johann MacDonagh wrote:
> >> Basically, you give it some string (string, wstring, or dstring), and
> >> it gives
> >> you a range of tokens back. The token has the type, a slice of the
> >> input that
> >> corresponds to the token, line / column, and a value (e.g. an integer
> >> constant).
> > 
> > I suggest making the input a range.
> 
> So, the reason I didn't do this initially was to make slicing a lot easier. It could easily be changed to any kind of input range of characters. However, it looks like something that's not a direct port of DMD isn't worthwhile.

Some adjustment can be made. It _does_ need to have a range-based API, and some changes are inevitable in order to do that. But the changes to the basic logic need to be minimal.

The thing is that it can be an input range _and_ take advantage of slicing with the use of static ifs in the appropriate places. If hasSlicing!Range is true, then you can have a static if branch for slicing it. If it's a narrow string then you can use another branch. And if it's neither, then it won't get the advantages of slicing. It complicates the code somewhat, but the proper use of Phobos functions which deal with it for you should help.

In any case, the point is that we need to port dmd's lexer over to D, changing it enough to give it a range-based interface (so it'll take a range of dchars but return a range of tokens) but avoiding changing more than necessary so that it's easy to port changes and fixes back and forth between it and dmd's front end.

- Jonathan M Davis
August 01, 2011
"bearophile" <bearophileHUGS@lycos.com> wrote in message news:j13mhm$1prf$1@digitalmars.com...
> - std.image: module to read and write png, jpeg, gif, bmp, ppm images;

That'd be very nice to have in phobos.

August 01, 2011
On 8/1/11 4:35 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Johann MacDonagh"<johann.macdonagh.no@spam.gmail.com>  wrote in message
> news:j1501g$tbs$1@digitalmars.com...
>>
>> 1. Database interface. Should support sqlite, mysql, postgres, etc...
>> 3. Some kind of web framework.
>
> Agreed, but fortunately Adam's stuff for that is shaping up nicely:
>
> https://github.com/adamdruppe/misc-stuff-including-D-programming-language-web-stuff
>
>> 2. DWT fixed up and merged into Phobos.
>
> That'd certainly be nice.

Interesting. What platforms does DWT work on? What is the general community opinion on integrating it within Phobos? Is there anyone willing to take on this task?

Thanks,

Andrei