March 16, 2011
dsource is riddled with spam in bug reports.
March 16, 2011
Also, unless someone specifies it, you always have to figure out the svn checkout command on your own. Sometimes a project doesn't use svn, but you have to figure that out. It's much simpler with github/bitbucket/others.
March 16, 2011
close down digitalmars.D.learn so that people start populating sites like stackoverflow.  How does that sound?

I'm actually going to start using stackoverflow for my D questions.

March 16, 2011
On Wednesday, March 16, 2011 16:34:30 Caligo wrote:
> close down digitalmars.D.learn so that people start populating sites like stackoverflow.  How does that sound?
> 
> I'm actually going to start using stackoverflow for my D questions.

Why? It's not like that's going to send all of the people who could answer such questions to stackoverflow. And it certainly won't send the people asking questions there either. They'll just ask the questions here in the main newsgroup.

Personally, I answer D questions at stackoverflow, but I pretty much never ask them there, because the people who have the answers are a lot more likely to be here than there.

Using stackoverflow is fine, but I don't see any reason to remove D.learn in favor of stackoverflow.

- Jonathan M Davis
March 17, 2011
Jonas Drewsen wrote:
> On 16/03/11 06.34, Jesse Phillips wrote:
>> http://digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
> 
> Yes.. these are invaluable.
> 
>> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel
> 
> Is the info about priorities coming directly from the sources themselves (Walter, Andrei...) so that they can be trusted. Or are they just wishes for priorities?
> 
> /Jonas

It's real.

The information from the priorities mostly comes from me. There's a certain fraction of it which I directly control, which I can therefore guarantee to be accurate. The rest comes from statements from Walter and Andrei made on the newsgroup, on the mailing lists, and in personal communication. I've tried to keep it fairly up-to-date.
It should be quite trustworthy.
March 17, 2011
On 3/17/11, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg@gmx.com> wrote:
> Why? It's not like that's going to send all of the people who could answer
> such
> questions to stackoverflow. And it certainly won't send the people asking
> questions there either. They'll just ask the questions here in the main
> newsgroup.

That, and I doubt SO would allow any type of D-related question. They're quite picky about questions. And SO doesn't give you much space for discussions. D.learn is much more open to discussions.
March 17, 2011
On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich@gmail.com
> wrote:

> On 3/17/11, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg@gmx.com> wrote:
> > Why? It's not like that's going to send all of the people who could
> answer
> > such
> > questions to stackoverflow. And it certainly won't send the people asking
> > questions there either. They'll just ask the questions here in the main
> > newsgroup.
>
> That, and I doubt SO would allow any type of D-related question. They're quite picky about questions. And SO doesn't give you much space for discussions. D.learn is much more open to discussions.
>

They've added D to their list of tags.  There are currently 276 D questions.

March 17, 2011
On Wednesday, March 16, 2011 17:32:48 Caligo wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich@gmail.com
> 
> > wrote:
> > 
> > On 3/17/11, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg@gmx.com> wrote:
> > > Why? It's not like that's going to send all of the people who could
> > 
> > answer
> > 
> > > such
> > > questions to stackoverflow. And it certainly won't send the people
> > > asking questions there either. They'll just ask the questions here in
> > > the main newsgroup.
> > 
> > That, and I doubt SO would allow any type of D-related question. They're quite picky about questions. And SO doesn't give you much space for discussions. D.learn is much more open to discussions.
> 
> They've added D to their list of tags.  There are currently 276 D questions.

I think that what he meant was that they wouldn't allow _just_ any type of D- related question. There are lots of questions that you could ask on a newsgroup which would get closed on stackoverflow.

Stackoverflow is a great site, but it's far from perfect. I think that it's great if people can get their D-related questions answered there, but I don't think that we need to be trying to get people to go there to ask their questions rather than coming to the newsgroup.

- Jonathan M Davis
March 17, 2011
"Caligo" <iteronvexor@gmail.com> wrote in message news:mailman.2549.1300318478.4748.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com...
> close down digitalmars.D.learn so that people start populating sites like stackoverflow.  How does that sound?
>
> I'm actually going to start using stackoverflow for my D questions.
>

Stack overflow is crap.

March 17, 2011
"Andrej Mitrovic" <andrej.mitrovich@gmail.com> wrote in message news:mailman.2546.1300314544.4748.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com...
> dsource is riddled with spam in bug reports.

I have four projects hosted on dsource, some going back as far as about 3 years, and I've never had one piece of spam in the issue trackers or message boards for any of them.