March 28, 2016
On Thursday, 24 March 2016 at 19:17:00 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> Could you please itemize the issues you found with dub? (FWIW I also sent a list to Sönke a while ago). -- Andrei

I've will write up a response when I get time.
March 28, 2016
On 03/24/2016 12:50 PM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> On 24/03/2016 09:16, Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>> We're doing just fine with NNTP and Vladimir's forum software.
>
> Using old communication software like NNTP is one example of that.
> Compare with Rust's Discourse.
>

The only thing wrong with NNTP is that it isn't trend/hipster-compliant. We have better things to deal with than endless Fire and Motion: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000339.html

> Not understanding the importance of package managers is another (DUB
> still not part of official distro?) Compare with Rust's Cargo.
>

Dub does need work. It's great for simpler projects and libs, but it's still next-to-useless for anything that JUST wants to participate in the package repository and uses a different build system (or even rdmd for that matter). There's some other issues as well. I've spent a lot of time and effort trying to fix that, but it's been an exhausting uphill battle, both technically and politically.

March 28, 2016
On 03/25/2016 03:40 PM, ag0aep6g wrote:
> On 25.03.2016 15:56, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> On 03/17/2016 01:02 PM, ag0aep6g wrote:
>>> "A female" sounds like you're
>>> talking about an animal.
>>
>> Not to a native english speaker.
>
> I call bullshit on that. I don't have any strong evidence, and I'm not
> even a native English speaker myself, but I simply don't buy it.
>
> Here's the first Google hit I got for "animal documentary male female":
>
> https://youtu.be/kY7SlH3rzhQ?t=430
>
> Didn't take long to find a spot where they talk about "the males" and
> "the females", because they always do in animal documentaries.
>
> Note how the speaker switches from "male"/"female" for kangaroos to
> "man"/"woman" for humans. That's what I'm talking about.

Of course they switch like that: It's an animal documentary, it helps to have an extra verbal cue for clarification when they switch between talking about animals vs humans. "Man"/"Woman" implies "Human". "Male"/"Female" are more generic than that. That's why they switch. Not because "Male"/"Female" implies "Non-Human" (it doesn't), but because "Man"/"Woman" DOES imply "Human" - an obviously important distinction in an animal documentary.

Regardless of that, the whole matter is dead simple, though many are too blinded by fear of offending to see the blatantly obvious:

Any "man" here who TRULY DOES get offended (and not just thinks he should get offended, or that other guys might be offended) by being called "A *MALE*" can go ahead and argue about "a woman" being offensive. Anyone else needs to drop their paranoid, self-contradictory bullshit.

March 28, 2016
On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 11:00:15PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 03/24/2016 12:50 PM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> >On 24/03/2016 09:16, Walter Bright wrote:
> >>
> >>We're doing just fine with NNTP and Vladimir's forum software.
> >
> >Using old communication software like NNTP is one example of that. Compare with Rust's Discourse.
> >
> 
> The only thing wrong with NNTP is that it isn't trend/hipster-compliant. We have better things to deal with than endless Fire and Motion: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000339.html
[...]

+1, LOL.

T

-- 
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
March 28, 2016
On 3/28/2016 8:00 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> We have
> better things to deal with than endless Fire and Motion:
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000339.html

That article is right on.

I discovered a long time ago that the secret to getting something done is to work on it every day, even if it's just for one minute. It's amazing how much gets done with just those minutes every day.
March 30, 2016
On 26/03/2016 14:03, Tobias Müller wrote:
> Walter Bright <newshound2@digitalmars.com> wrote:
>> On 3/25/2016 5:36 PM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>>> What NNTP client do you use on your phone?
>>
>> I know there's at least one available on the iphone, and of course you'd have
>> the option to use the DFeed web interface.
>>
>> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/newstap-usenet-newsreader/id292410356
>
> Yes, exactly that one. Probably the most used app on my phone.
>

Ok, fair enough. Personally I think reading newsgroups is too much of a complex task to be done on a phone (for starters typing is much harder, so you're kinda restricted to reading only, or typing short posts only).

But that's a valid use case, and I can see Discourse doesn't work that well there. Maybe it will get an app in not too distant future.

-- 
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros
March 30, 2016
On 26/03/2016 01:18, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 3/25/2016 5:57 PM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>> Yeah, but how many NNTP clients would support that? Certainly one
>> could build
>> this feature on top of NNTP, but then it would not be pure NNTP anymore,
>> and I guess it would break many clients, no?
>
> No, it wouldn't. The PGP signature doesn't break clients. They just
> ignore it (i.e. consider it part of the message body).

For reading posts, it wouldn't break clients, no. But what about writing messages with PGP signatures? If the client doesn't supported creating them automatically, it's too much of a pain the ass to do that manually.

> You'd have the
> option of what client to use, and if you use DFeed, it could be set to
> not present unregistered postings to you (a perq of registering
> yourself, you can customize the settings).
>

Oh, no, no, no. That's a broken system. If one were to add such a layer of only allowing registered postings, this would have to be enforced for all users, not on a per-user preference. Otherwise you'd have a two-layer forum that would get super confusing. What if a registered poster replies to a non-registered poster message? I'd still see such messages. Or what about people that I want to see their posts, but they didn't bother to register and post unregistered?

This is one of those things what would have to be a like a code formatting guidelines: it has to be the same for all developers in a project. It can't be like the choice of IDE/editor, which can be left to individual preference.

-- 
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros
March 30, 2016
On 3/30/2016 5:31 AM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> For reading posts, it wouldn't break clients, no. But what about writing
> messages with PGP signatures? If the client doesn't supported creating them
> automatically, it's too much of a pain the ass to do that manually.

That's right. But you can use DFeed to post, and you're no worse off then with other forum software.

>> You'd have the
>> option of what client to use, and if you use DFeed, it could be set to
>> not present unregistered postings to you (a perq of registering
>> yourself, you can customize the settings).
> Oh, no, no, no. That's a broken system. If one were to add such a layer of only
> allowing registered postings, this would have to be enforced for all users, not
> on a per-user preference. Otherwise you'd have a two-layer forum that would get
> super confusing. What if a registered poster replies to a non-registered poster
> message? I'd still see such messages. Or what about people that I want to see
> their posts, but they didn't bother to register and post unregistered?
>
> This is one of those things what would have to be a like a code formatting
> guidelines: it has to be the same for all developers in a project. It can't be
> like the choice of IDE/editor, which can be left to individual preference.

I suppose it depends on how much seeing posts from unregistered users bothers you.

March 30, 2016
On 3/30/2016 5:22 AM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> Ok, fair enough. Personally I think reading newsgroups is too much of a complex
> task to be done on a phone (for starters typing is much harder, so you're kinda
> restricted to reading only, or typing short posts only).

Having recently been absorbed by The Continuum, I acquired an iPhone. I found the predictive text input to be disconcerting at first, but it speeds up the typing a lot.

It's still annoying to type anything other than lower case alphas. I haven't tried it yet, but trying to enter code on an iPhone seems like it would be hell. Maybe pairing it with a bluetooth keyboard will fix that.

But none of that would be improved with custom forum software.

> But that's a valid use case, and I can see Discourse doesn't work that well
> there. Maybe it will get an app in not too distant future.

That's the problem with custom forums instead of a standard protocol.

(I really like DFeed+NNTP, I guess you can tell!)

March 30, 2016
On Wednesday, 30 March 2016 at 19:22:13 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Having recently been absorbed by The Continuum, I acquired an iPhone. I found the predictive text input to be disconcerting at first, but it speeds up the typing a lot.
>
> It's still annoying to type anything other than lower case alphas. I haven't tried it yet, but trying to enter code on an iPhone seems like it would be hell. Maybe pairing it with a bluetooth keyboard will fix that.

On Android, there is "Hacker's Keyboard": https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.pocketworkstation.pckeyboard

I don't know what the closest equivalent would be for iOS, but I bet there's something since Apple finally caved and added custom keyboard support in version 8.