October 12, 2009
"Ary Borenszweig" <ary@esperanto.org.ar> wrote in message news:havvl7$1tlv$1@digitalmars.com...
>
> Yeah, we made a game in WPF in the company I work for, using bindings (*the* feature of WPF): it was sluggish. From the start I recommended doing it in a lower-level language (I recommended D!) but no one listened to me. It runs pretty slow with an amazing computer. I don't like WPF (nor Siliveright). :-P

Is that related to, or the same as, the win forms library from .NET? Because I've found that to be horribly broken for anyone that uses a light-on-dark color scheme. Certain limitations of it make it impossible to prevent certain things from exhibiting invisible-text-syndrome on such a setup, which inevitably results in an app that's just horribly unprofessional.


October 12, 2009
On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 04:35:58PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> That stuff is just plain garbage. It inevitably breaks when JS is disabled (and there are damn good reasons for doing so), and trying to put web apps on the desktop is just plain ass-backwards: web-apps are shit period, people should be trying to make desktop apps run on the web instead.

Amen.

One of my personal projects is meant to be a "D Windowing System" with the hopes of making this happen - when it is usable, I'll post a link to the newsgroup.

The idea is to take good ideas from Remote Desktop on Windows and X11 on
*nix and combine the best, while cutting out the bad. Then, when you encounter
one of these apps on the web, you just run it locally, like remote X, instead
of in the browser.

Work is going slowly since I'm busy with my paying work the vast majority of the time, but this is going to be cool.

> 

-- 
Adam D. Ruppe
http://arsdnet.net
October 12, 2009
"Jarrett Billingsley" <jarrett.billingsley@gmail.com> wrote in message news:mailman.164.1255324638.20261.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com...
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 12:22 AM, Nick Sabalausky <a@a.a> wrote:
>> Jeremie Pelletier" <jeremiep@gmail.com> wrote in message news:hats2b$as0$1@digitalmars.com...
>>>
>>> It has pros and cons, Firefox too has the native look and feel without using the native controls, so it saves on the overhead of tons of GDI handles and can render the entire GUI in cairo.
>>
>> I use FF a lot and umm...no it doesn't. Not remotely. It's always stood
>> out
>> as every bit of a blatant GTK app as GAIM, GIMP, or Thunderbird. As soon
>> as
>> I can find a browser with equivilents too all my essential hacks (*cough*
>> extensions) and *real* controls (which rules out IE and Opera. And
>> Chrome/Safari... AH HA HA HA!), then I'm ditching this garbage.
>
> ..huh? What OS are you on? It looks perfectly native on XP, Ubuntu, and Kubuntu for me..

XP


October 12, 2009
grauzone wrote:
> But some stuff doesn't quite match: for example, Expression is declared in expression.h. But not all methods are implemented in expression.c. There's at least the interpret() method, which is in interpret.c.
> 
> How would you translate this into D? Just mash everything into a single .d source file?

Oh, I agree that the files would have to be organized differently. One giant file is a little extreme, though <g>. Probably one module per class would be better.
October 12, 2009
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 00:42:51 +0400, Nick Sabalausky <a@a.a> wrote:

> "Ary Borenszweig" <ary@esperanto.org.ar> wrote in message
> news:havvl7$1tlv$1@digitalmars.com...
>>
>> Yeah, we made a game in WPF in the company I work for, using bindings
>> (*the* feature of WPF): it was sluggish. From the start I recommended
>> doing it in a lower-level language (I recommended D!) but no one listened
>> to me. It runs pretty slow with an amazing computer. I don't like WPF (nor
>> Siliveright). :-P
>
> Is that related to, or the same as, the win forms library from .NET? Because
> I've found that to be horribly broken for anyone that uses a light-on-dark
> color scheme. Certain limitations of it make it impossible to prevent
> certain things from exhibiting invisible-text-syndrome on such a setup,
> which inevitably results in an app that's just horribly unprofessional.
>
>

No, they are not related in any way. They are two completely different GUI toolkits.
October 12, 2009
"Don" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:haumhk$1oet$1@digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Jeremie Pelletier" <jeremiep@gmail.com> wrote in message news:hats2b$as0$1@digitalmars.com...
>>> It has pros and cons, Firefox too has the native look and feel without using the native controls, so it saves on the overhead of tons of GDI handles and can render the entire GUI in cairo.
>>
>> I use FF a lot and umm...no it doesn't. Not remotely. It's always stood out as every bit of a blatant GTK app as GAIM, GIMP, or Thunderbird. As soon as I can find a browser with equivilents too all my essential hacks (*cough* extensions) and *real* controls (which rules out IE and Opera. And Chrome/Safari... AH HA HA HA!), then I'm ditching this garbage.
>
> Are you talking about FF 3.5? It's a really poor product. Crashes all the time, has some terrible UI misfeatures. I'm really amazed they shipped it in that condition.

Never touched FF3.5, I tried FF3 and it was such a worthless POS I went back to FF2, which is still a total POS, or course, but at least this way I have separate back/forward dropdowns, winestripe actually works, and I have no awfulbar *without* needing an anti-awfulbar addon (mozilla's standard strategy: force idiotic ill-conceived changes on everyone and rely on third-party add-on hacks for anyone who wants it fixed).


October 12, 2009
Bill Baxter wrote:
> But it doesn't sound to me like it will be that much use to serious IDEs.

Possibly not, but for lightweight IDEs I think it would be of much use. It would also make things very accessible to Emacs and Vim, two very widely used programmers' editors.

(One thing I like about Vim is I can run it remotely via putty. A graphical gui IDE is impractical to use remotely, and yes, I've tried remote desktops. Unusable.)
October 12, 2009
Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Don" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:haumhk$1oet$1@digitalmars.com...
>> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> Jeremie Pelletier" <jeremiep@gmail.com> wrote in message news:hats2b$as0$1@digitalmars.com...
>>>> It has pros and cons, Firefox too has the native look and feel without using the native controls, so it saves on the overhead of tons of GDI handles and can render the entire GUI in cairo.
>>> I use FF a lot and umm...no it doesn't. Not remotely. It's always stood out as every bit of a blatant GTK app as GAIM, GIMP, or Thunderbird. As soon as I can find a browser with equivilents too all my essential hacks (*cough* extensions) and *real* controls (which rules out IE and Opera. And Chrome/Safari... AH HA HA HA!), then I'm ditching this garbage.
>> Are you talking about FF 3.5? It's a really poor product. Crashes all the time, has some terrible UI misfeatures. I'm really amazed they shipped it in that condition.
> 
> Never touched FF3.5, I tried FF3 and it was such a worthless POS I went back to FF2, which is still a total POS, or course, but at least this way I have separate back/forward dropdowns, winestripe actually works, and I have no awfulbar *without* needing an anti-awfulbar addon (mozilla's standard strategy: force idiotic ill-conceived changes on everyone and rely on third-party add-on hacks for anyone who wants it fixed).


Um, so why are you still using FF at all? :)

-Lars
October 12, 2009
Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> I'm out of here.

Andrei is addressing one of the critical shortcomings of D - lack of a comprehensive book. So while he has a large ego (don't we all!) I actually enjoy working with people who have large egos, and Andrei gets things done.

I've also found that while some people I only know from online dealings that I found infuriating, when I meet the person in 3D land things are very different, and they're very engaging and fun to work with.

I suppose we really need another D conference.
October 12, 2009
BCS wrote:
> Ouch. There goes about half of what people will want.

Right, it's about half. But it's an easy half to get.
8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home